In need of some advice wanting to upgrad to a few nice pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmen84

Reaction score
So Ive been smoking a pipe for a bit now and its very enjoyable I even managed to cut way back on smoking.Ive got two cobs one burnt out no biggy their 5 bucks. I did notice after a lot of use the stems get weaker and don't fit as tight does this this happen to high end pipes as well? Ive done alot of research on finding the right pipe for me my budget is about 150 was thinking two pipes would be a good idea just have to find two good pipes for the right price. Im not opposed to used pipes.But I want quality as well so if any one has advice its Very welcomed.  Also how long will a good pipe last if taken care of?

In my experience some cobs stems get loose, probably because it's a cheap wood shank pine or the like and it absorbs moisture and expands much more then briar.

As far as a good pipe in your price range, I would recommend an estate (used) Mastro De Paja (in good condition of course) or any medium to higher grade Italian maker.
Yes, I'm a bit bias, I like Italians but, because not only for design but for draw. They seem to have a more open draw then Danes and some others but, I'm not saying Danes aren't any good. Just my preference.

Puff Daddy":l36d6zh1 said:
I would have to concur with PD, Savinelli would probably have a pipe or two in your price range and quality level. They make some of the BEST machine made pipes IMHO in today's marketplace.As to how long they would last, I have some briar pipes my father bought new back in 1945/6 and I'm currently smoking every pipe I've bought since 1969. :twisted: 

Thanx for the advice on the pipes all really helps me out alot. I think two should be enough for now. But one could always use more.

My reasoning for listing those two specific pipes:

Both have acrylic stems, no vulcanite to go green and give off a bad taste.

Both are bent but not extreme and would be comfortable/appealing to most pipe smokers. A bent billiard and bent pot, both classic shapes.

Both have a good bit of wood surrounding the chamber, no thin walls.

One rusticated and one smooth.

Buying both pipes, new, change back from your $150, will last a lifetime with care.

Burning hot is a symtom created by the smoker, not the pipe, in most cases. True, cheap pipes can tend towards burning hot or smoking wet, but that is usually very cheap (Grabow, etc) pipes where almost no attention has been paid to engineeering or tolerances. Savinelli makes a very good inexpensive pipe, which is not the same as a cheap pipe. The keys are (1) not smoking wet PG soaked cheap tobaccos (2) making sure the tobacco you choose is fairly dry when you smoke it (3) packing on the light side, not the tight side, and (4) smoking with a nice slow cadence. You have to be fine with it going out and not giving a shit if it doesn't stay lit. Sip the tobacco. Relights are not a big deal. I usually don't find a pipe getting into a groove where it needs no relighting for many, many minutes after the initial light. Sip and taste the tobacco, which gives off it true flavor at a smoldering burn, not an ever-burning coal fire.

On how long they'll last. If taken care of, and with a modicum of luck, they can outlast you! I have some Kaywoodies that date to the 1920's that are still in good shape and smoke well. There are even older pipes on ebay too.

You've gotten some good advice. Price doesn't equate to better in all respects. A basket pipe from a good shop is about as cheap/inexpensive as it gets and can be as enjoyable and lasting as the finest of pipe at collector prices. Collectors of 4-figure pipes occasionally have complained about how such a pipe smoked for them. One of the fun things about pipes and pipers is there are no absolutes. You can be a major collector or a cheap pipe snob and fit right in.

My only advice is to have fun choosing something you like. If it came from a solid shop and there are a half dozen online ones that we are frequently mentioning, you can rely on them not selling you a piece of junk.

A pipe that is less expensive than you mention would make sense. It will let you decide just what you like about pipes and smoking and let you better go in the direction you found.

And, you can buy a replacement/improved stem for a cob for $20 or thereabout from Walker Repair. That turns them into something special. If you like cobs but have trouble with MM cheap stems, you can get a better stem. Cobs aren't a bad way to go. They are reliable for what they are and good smokers.

Take a look at Viking Pipe Club, he post here from time to time and is an honest purveyor of estate pipe. You can get an estate that is an exceptional pipe for a fraction of the cost.

JKenP":8m5xp31o said:
You've gotten some good advice.  Price doesn't equate to better in all respects.

Take a look at Viking Pipe Club, he post here from time to time and is an honest purveyor of estate pipe.  You can get an estate that is an exceptional pipe for a fraction of the cost.
I've bought 6 pipes from Viking Pipe Club and all of them are superb in every way. For US $150 you can buy two quality pipes from them.

Im just glad I got some good sound advice from everyone here it never hurts to ask. Ive still got alot to learn.

I've checked Viking Club just now and Nathan's got a couple of BEAUTIFUL pipes at very fair prices. Just look at all the Savinelli Pipes, even a couple of Punto Oro !!!

Anything you like that's a reasonable size (not gigantic), in good shape, not bent more than 1/4 and by a reputable firm.

Asking people who don't know what you like what you should buy is a little shaky, IMO

:face:

There is a delicate balance with "hot" pipes.  I have a lot of what I affectionately call "orphan briars," pipes that were graciously given to me, sometimes because the original owner couldn't crack the code...in other words, find out why the pipe wasn't smoking quite right.   Many times it is pilot error, but there are a few instances when draft-to-chamber-issues occur, which offset any packing/tamping routines. Routines and pipes are good, but require flexibility.  Too loose packing can get the temps up pretty darned good, and when tamped too much, it seals in the heat and it's a miserable smoke. It's a balance.   Pipes are like women and even cars--all require a certain touch with the clutch, in other words.  One is never like the other, even more so if you're all over the map collecting (or adopting :lol:) like I am.  :)

A Savinelli pipe is wonderful for all the reasons PD suggested.  

Good luck in finding your personal upgrades, vmen.  :)  Might take a few tries, and some adjustment on your part--fortunately, it's a fun process!

I like the rusticated pipes as well as bent I tend to burn the top of the bowl a lot.