In praise of Peterson Pipes!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got me 4 Petes, and about to add a 5th. All are fine smokers and occupy a unique space in terms of blends. Sorry, no pics.

Great collections of Petes displayed here though.

Cheers,

RR

nosenhoj":rlhsdaak said:
Idlefellow;

I enjoy the photos of your pipes each time i see them.To quote one of the
brothers when he saw my photos," there's nothing humble about that collection"
You have a collection to be proud of.

"There's a story behind every bowl"
Thank you for the kind words, my friend. They've done well by me; that's for sure. Airborne, thanks for the tip; I will look into it. It's true that they could use a bit of "sprucing up"!

Airborne":em32hn96 said:
Although I have an affinity for Italian pipes, I really like the Peterson Pipe. I have only three of them, but they are superb smoking machines. I’ve noticed lately a number of newcomers on the board who were wondering about selecting a good pipe. You can’t go wrong with a Peterson. Here’s some of the reasons:

(1) Peterson’s is a long established company, starting out in the 19th century in Dublin. Because they make and sell their product within the realm of the free market, they must be doing something right to have survived all this time.

(2) They make a quality pipe in a wide variety of price ranges.

(3) They respond to the market place insofar as they are constantly innovative, coming out with different designs yearly, while their mainstay are the traditional shapes for which they famous.

(4) They are known and respected world wide, from the U.S and Canada to Russia, Italy, China and South Africa.

(5) They stand behind their product (like all reputable pipe makers).

(6) Mark Twain smoked a Peterson. Need I say more?

Now, having said that, I can say the same thing about Savinelli, although I base it more on their reputation rather than by personal experience. I only recently bought my first Savinelli and it is a magnificent smoke! I will buy more. What I said about Peterson I can also say about Savinelli. They have a shared history and tradition.

Now, you’ll have to excuse me while I light up my Rosslare.
I have had two Petersons, one "system" style and one of the small barrel pipes that you see from time to time. The "system" pipe was new, unsmoked, the barrel was a very well done refurb. Neither smoked well, using any of the blends that I prefer and I didn't care for the p-lip stem, consequently when the subject arises, I tend to remain mute, however, I don't believe Mark Twain ever smoked a Savinelli,your item #6, hence my reply :lol!:

I will say that all of the shown pipes are beauties and I congratulate all on their collections, but Peterson's are just not my cup of tea

Wow! I really like the Rosslare! I have 4 pete's in my collection, but my favorite among them is my Mark Twain. You're right about Peterson...they make a darned good pipe at a reasonable price.

sand18f":ah4r5xrv said:
Most excellent, my friend.
How old is your oldest Pete?
Thanx for the photos.

Bill
Don't know if you were asking me, but I'll answer you anyway :D ! I bought that system pipe on the top left (a 307XL) as a grad student in 1970 or 71. But the oldest is either the billiard 5th from the left, the billiard 3rd from the right, or the pot on the top right; those three are all "pre-republic" pipes.

I know Petes are a very popular pipe, they have been in business forever, and sold a zillion of them, but I do not care for them. The system pipes have a well/pit drilled in the shank which is a natural condensation unit, and creates moisture where there would otherwise not be any. Then they claim this is saving you from some horrible fate, even though they created the mess in the shank to begin with.

The lower end pipes are as much fills as briar, and they are all a very hard and long breakin. I have owned three over the years, and just don't see a need to put up with them. I know, there is a large cadre of Pete fanatics, and I just got a bad one, don't appreciate them, or am just stupid etc. In the end, I always say smoke what you like, I do.

Smoker99":edqef0m4 said:
I know Petes are a very popular pipe, they have been in business forever, and sold a zillion of them, but I do not care for them. The system pipes have a well/pit drilled in the shank which is a natural condensation unit, and creates moisture where there would otherwise not be any. Then they claim this is saving you from some horrible fate, even though they created the mess in the shank to begin with.

The lower end pipes are as much fills as briar, and they are all a very hard and long breakin. I have owned three over the years, and just don't see a need to put up with them. I know, there is a large cadre of Pete fanatics, and I just got a bad one, don't appreciate them, or am just stupid etc. In the end, I always say smoke what you like, I do.
Obviously, someone who owns 10, 20, 30 or more Pete's has had a different experience than you. To each his own. Variety is the spice of life.

Airborne":9ocwaz7m said:
Peterson’s 1910 Antique Bulldog

Wow. I love that bulldog. Wonderful condition for being 100 years old. Where did you score that?

Smoker99":kmslhfmx said:
The lower end pipes are as much fills as briar, and they are all a very hard and long breakin.
I've heard of both these issues in regards to Petersons, and that even the company's POY pipes have numerous fills. That said, even with the prolonged break in period, they obviously still resonate with a lot of smokers. Maybe it's the romance of the brand that compensates for any issues. I don't really know, never having owned one.

One of my cherished pipes is a Peterson 264. It's nothing special it's but it's a superb smoker. It definitely went through the break-in growing pains as do most newer production Petes. It was worth sticking with it though...

Airborne":zgyali9n said:
s.ireland":zgyali9n said:
Airborne":zgyali9n said:
Peterson’s 1910 Antique Bulldog

Wow. I love that bulldog. Wonderful condition for being 100 years old. Where did you score that?

I wish it WERE a hundred years old!! Periodically, Peterson reproduces shapes that they made back in the day but no longer make (stamped Antique). This is one shape that they originally made in 1910. I bought it new around 1990, I think. It’s a great smoke, but unfortunately, they no longer make this particular bulldog. The good news is that there are some look-alikes floating around, but you have to do a serious search for them because they aren’t readily available.

This one is pretty close except for the bit. I really like it. I think it's classy!
That makes more sense. Regardless of age, that bulldog is classic. It just screams "companion".

Airborne":63081gmv said:
Idlefellow":63081gmv said:
My Peterson's; somewhat more humble and ill-used, but no less loved:
Cool! A very impressive collection of Pete's.

If you want to clean up those bits, there's a wonderful product I discovered a few months ago. It's a deoxidizer that really works. I used it on my vulcanite bites and it does what it advertises. It makes the bits look absolutely new. Here's the website: http://www.walkerbriarworks.com/html/stem_restore_kit.html then click on Stem Restore kit. It's an amazing product and pretty inexpensive.
I followed your suggestion and ordered one of the stem restoration kits. it worked great; I highly recommend it. Thanks for the tip; my pipes look better than they have in years!

Heck, no argument here, everyone's got at least one Pete in their pipe rack. I've been looking for a big one; I've heard them called "House Pipes;" don't know if there's a specific number I should be looking for if that term's more generic.

Any nomenclature help from Peterson collectors would be appreciated!

I just got a Peterson standard 305 PR from Ebay and I love it. I'd heard that Petes have a lousy draw, and it is a little tight. But it smokes wonderfully. And I even think I like the P-lip.

Where can I get more of these? McCranie's, my local shop, tends to have just a couple and those tend to have fishtail bits. Can anyone recommend a place close to Charlotte, NC that has a good stock of Peterson pipes for my next flairup of PAD?

Ive really been eying their Irish Sea Bent Dublin B10. just gotta save up the 100 or so bucks for it now.

I have three petersons, a Shannon, a Kapet, and a Mark Twain
they all smoke fantastic. In fact they are three of my best smokers.
Not surprisingly i have to say the mark twain is the best smoker, and probably my favorite pipe.

I've already posted some shots of the new Pete, my first - a 306 shaped Aran with the P-Lip...EXCELLENT smoker and will be the first of many more(I hope)...

The one I covet most right now is also a tad expensive - it's the Baskerville from the Sherlock Holmes series..what a GORGEOUS piece of briar! Someday...