In response to LL

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irene Adler

Reaction score
LL,

I was going to just respond to your question in the youtube music thread, but it grew a little more verbose and way more personal than I intended, and I figured it ought to just have its own thread.

---------------------------

LL":r8y9wne7 said:
Speaking of all this, how goes your music, Irene?
It's going so-so I've written a few new songs that I'm waiting to release on youtube. I just moved to the east coast, and so everything's kind of hectic at the moment. But I now have a macbook and will soon have some actual recording equipment that will allow me to run tracks, so I'm super excited about that.

However, that said, it's actually been a little frustrating because I've had to put most of my live performances on hold. The past several months I've been experiencing debilitating headaches that leave me unable to do anything for days. The doctors ran an mri about a month or so ago and found two problems with my brain that I need to see a neurologist for. Though my doctor said it probably isn't serious, he'd never heard of either problem. Regardless, it's left me incredibly unreliable. I'll book a show a month in advance and then get a headache that day and not be able to perform. I hate telling people I'll do something if I know there's a chance I might not be able to. On average (I've been keeping records of my headaches), out of every 5 or 6 days that I'm down, I'll have 1 or 2 good ones where I'm just a little dizzy and tired.

I looked the problems up and one is a clump of veins in the white matter of my brain, and they get enflammed and enlarged, causing pressure inside of my head, and thus: my headaches. The other is that a part of my midbrain is sending cerebral spinal fluid to parts of the brain that it's not supposed to go to, which is causing me to feel nauseous, faint, and dizzy almost all of the time, and occasionally, randomly pass out.

So, hence, I'm not booking a lot of new shows until the doctors can either find a medicine that actually works (Everything they've tried just leaves me high, tired, and still in too much pain) or fix the problem.

All in all, I probably could have told you boys about it sooner, but I haven't really told anyone. My family knows, my new husband knows, and a few close friends know. I'm not one for complaining. I try to keep everything I talk about chipper and happy, even when my life is rough. No one wants to read a bunch of whiney posts all of the time. But regardless, I just want to remember what it's like to wake up and feel normal for once. I'll have military insurance hopefully by next week (my husband is in the Air Force) and will then be able to start the road to getting better. It's also the main reason why I don't currently have my son. I've left him with Aaron back in Oklahoma until I recover. It was hard to do, but for the best. Alex is safer with his father and grandmother, than with me when I'm always unable to do even the simplest tasks. I couldn't live with myself if ever I passed out and he got hurt.

I'm not really sure how to end this post other than to say I adore you gents greatly and just to ask for prayers.

Thank you,
~Amy Jo

I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Count on me for prayers and support. Wouldn't presume to speak for everyone but my guess is we all love you and want you to keep us updated.

Centurian 803":fwl0xyr3 said:
I am so sorry to hear about your problems. Count on me for prayers and support. Wouldn't presume to speak for everyone but my guess is we all love you and want you to keep us updated.
Ditto Irene!
Keep us posted!

Here's hoping you can find a med that works for you. Stay strong.

Wow, that's rough.
It's not too reassuring when your doctor
tells you he's never heard of your problem.
Good luck with your new doctors.

Sending good thoughts your way for a quick and complete resolution and recovery. Keep us posted when you can.

After having had a stroke a little over 4 years ago, I found there's lots of stuff about the brain that I didn't know and that the doctors don't know either. It's an amazing organ that sometimes seems to have a mind of its own. :lol: Here's hoping and praying the doctors find some meds that give you quick and long lasting relief.

Jim

Prayers are on the way!
Those headaches sound terrible.......
Hope it all works out and isn't serious.

We're your "brothers," dear. Keep us in the loop so we know how to pray for you and support your efforts. Wishing all the best for you! :)

Amy - thoughts and prayers are with you. I can only imagine what you're going through, but hold the best thoughts you can, and take the best care of yourself you can, and let the docs work whatever voodoo they can get you back to what you obviously love and have passion for!

Now THAT sucks.

I spent a couple decades dealing with classic migraines, so have an appreciation of the difference between the tension headaches that most people think of when they hear the word "headache," and hardcore head pain. They are lightyears apart.

I feel for you, Amy. Truly.

Between tracking down a delayed-action food allergy and simply getting older, mine finally stopped. Your case is obviously something entirely different, but modern medicine's progress with headaches of all kinds is remarkable. I'm sure they'll come up with something that will fix you up. Probably a bit of trial and error to get there, but once it's done it's done.

Definitely keep us informed. I continue to be amazed that a heart-stoppingly lovely young lady like you finds something of interest in the back room of tobacco-centric curmudgeons that is the BoB board, but am equally delighted that you do. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

As for your new hubby, congratulations! :D 8) The past year has been a biggie, hasn't it?

LL":6gqvgybv said:
I spent a couple decades dealing with classic migraines, so have an appreciation of the difference between the tension headaches that most people think of when they hear the word "headache," and hardcore head pain. They are lightyears apart.
Outside of the occasional hangover, I've never really had headaches.
I can only imagine how awful it must be.

Amy Jo

Seriously, I am really sorry to hear about everything you are going through. You are definitely in my wife and my thoughts. You seem like one strong lady, a quality I am guessing that will help see you through this time.

SWS

I'm still new here, but you will be in my prayers. I too, am a musician - I used to play out a lot in NY and Philly, but now my priorities are with my family; my 8yr old son, Dakota loves music & is learning drums & guitar...! For some inspiration: Neil Young used to suffer from seizures & he's still kickin (and writing great music too)! If interested, check out his biography 'Shaky'... Hopefully this is just a minor medical bump in the road for you & you get reunited with your son soon!

ps-Sorry I'm 'scattered' in my thoughts tonight - I need some rest!

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Modern medicine is an amazing thing. Keep your chin up!

Amy,

Thanks for updating us.... You are very talented and fun to have as a SoB (Yes, just coined that one!) and I am sure you will get through this, though at times it must be quite frustrating, to say the least. Just know that we're all pulling for ya!!

TB

PS As my grandfather used to say (even when I was well into adulthood):

Chin up, little camper!

Amy, you seem like a strong person, I am sure that will get you through this trying time in your life. All the best and our prayers will be with you. Music is a great healer, don't give it up while you are on the road to recovery.