In the market for a new fountain pen? Namisu Orion

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nismo270r

Reaction score
Thought this was a pretty decent deal for a modern fountain pen and thought I'd share.

Namisu had a successful Kickstarter campaign last year for the Nexus Minimal Fountain Pen. Kind of reminds me of some of Porsche Design's products, but quite a bit cheaper!

There latest rendition is the Orion, which has some slight improvements over the old design. The cap has less threads and is quicker to remove and is also now postable. Shallower groves on the barrel for a more comfortable grip. It is available through their website for 40 GBP, which is roughly $63. They are currently having a group buy through Massdrop, where it can be had for a discount. The more folks who join in, the cheaper it gets. There is an option to buy it for the initial discount (54.99) once 20 people have joined, or you can commit to only buy it only if it hits the lowest price (44.99) with enough people joining. It's my first time using Massdrop, but I've talked with a few friends who have purchased coffee gear through it and they love it. I figured why not share the love! I'm definitely going to snag one for myself though.

Here's the actual product page:
Namisu Orion Fountain Pen

If you decide to join up, if you use this link it puts me down as a referral. Not a requirement by any means, but it it would be appreciated.  8)
https://www.massdrop.com/r/L7DNG8

I'm not cheap when it comes to fountain pens. I think several hundred is a good price on some of Sailors offering, Pelikan too. I say that to establish that it's not a cheapness issue. It's a value issue. This pen is twice the price of a Lamy for a Bock nib, I don't get it.

I'm not meaning to sound mean or troll or anything, I'm being sincere. What makes this worth $63

Hey PB, I don't necessarily think it is worth $63, but I'd take a chance on it at $45. I'm also a complete noob when it comes to FPs, so take that for what it's worth lol! From the reviews of their Kickstarter pen, most said it was quality made, writes well. What else should I be looking at in the $40-$50 price range?

On my side it shows $63 shipped? Anyway.

For $63 I'd buy a gold nibbed Parker 45. Or maybe something from Pilot or Sailor. Or a Lamy Safari and a couple inks.

I'm not saying this pen isn't worth the money, it could be worth ten times asking price. I don't know. I'm saying I don't understand what it has on other pens with arguably better nibs at a lower price point.

having used and collected fountain pens since the mid '50s, I'd have to agree with PB, stay with a known maker such as Pelikan ( nice flexible, expressive nibs and most piston fillers), Schaeffer, or as PB mentioned Sailor or Platinum ( lovely, lovely expressive soft nibs) . Remember, at the price range you are looking at, you usually will not get a solid gold nib and there IS a difference as to how a plated steel nib vs solid gold writes. Save your pennies and stay with a known maker. JMHO :twisted:

Check the offerings from these two sites, they BOTH have been selling and KNOW fountain pens for several decades and are good people to deal with.

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/?s=gaw&kw=the+fountain+pen+hospital

http://www.fahrneyspens.com/index.aspx

puros_bran":4ajomfpa said:
For $63 I'd buy a gold nibbed Parker 45.
Not to mention what can be had on the used pen market, or by a few hours of hunting around honest antique shops.

Nismo, have I told you lately that you are a butthead?

I checked out mass drop a little more. Signed up for a few searches. Now everyday I get email about crap I can't afford and didn't know I couldn't afford it until the email showed up. Lol.

Some of the deals aren't deals but some of them are pretty sweet.

puros_bran":3ga9fhty said:
Nismo, have I told you lately that you are a butthead?  

I checked out mass drop a little more. Signed up for a few searches. Now everyday I get email about crap I can't afford and didn't know I couldn't afford it until the email showed up.   Lol.

Some of the deals aren't deals but some of them are pretty sweet.
LOL You're welcome PB! There is some pretty cool stuff that pops up on there. Like you said, definitely not all deals, but some cool stuff here and there. I did pick up a pair of Pilot Metropolitans through the site for some cheaper pens to schlelp around.