Incident At The Post Office

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trout Bum

Reaction score
Greetings, fellow pipers. Well, I was just at the post office, sending off a package of tobacco samplers to a new member of this board. So, there I am, stuffing baggies of tobacco into this box at the front counter. As I am doing this, another costomer, a female also, walks up.

The postal lady behind the counter asks, "What are you sending, coffee? It smells really good."

"Uhmm.... I belong to this really cool online pipe smoking community, and I am sending a fellow pipester some tobaccos to try. Others in this group have been very generous to me, and it is my turn to pay it forward."

The costomer next to me : "Wow, that smells just like my whole life."

--extended silence--

"Hmm... what do you mean by that?"

And she goes on to explain how her father always smoked a pipe, and how she loved the smell. She then asked if she could directly whiff the box, which of course, I accomodated. She then goes on to tell about how her sister served in Iraq, and how her dad would send a pinch of his tobacco to her in a little baggie, just so she could get a "smell of home."

Both of these ladies were so nice and so interested in the tobaccos I was sending. It was really really really cool, and most unexpected. Just thought I would share this little story with the brethren.

Pretty neat story... that would never happen in Canada :lol:

But I have read posts from pipers on other forums where the P.O. gave them real hassles for mailing tobacco in some states... this was a few years ago... I'm guessing N.J.

Very cool story. Pipe tobacco smells so good.:D

When I've mailed tobacco, I hide it, because it's illegal to mail tobacco inter-provincially here. :shock:

I'll give you one better, I had a young lady ask if she could borrow tobacco. I asked how you borrowed tobacco, and she explained that she just wants to put it in her car for a while to get the smell of tobacco in it.

Texas Outlaw":igwhjrtd said:
I'll give you one better, I had a young lady ask if she could borrow tobacco. I asked how you borrowed tobacco, and she explained that she just wants to put it in her car for a while to get the smell of tobacco in it.
Texas Outlaw and Trout Bum can't recognize "pick up" lines even if they fell over them.

Slow Puffs":3nraj34s said:
Texas Outlaw":3nraj34s said:
Texas Outlaw and Trout Bum can't recognize "pick up" lines even if they fell over them.
:lol!:

Well played!

HistoryMajor":eg2gp6jh said:
Very cool story. Pipe tobacco smells so good.:D

When I've mailed tobacco, I hide it, because it's illegal to mail tobacco inter-provincially here. :shock:
You're under arrest.

That ain't like my Postal ladies. They tend to hold my boxes out away from them as far as they can. A pound of Pirate Kake can really make itself known.

:lol!: my wife finds the smell of my pipe sexy. She loved it the other day after I came in from mowing when I smelled of grass and pipe.

BrAnt":s6n2av6a said:
:lol!: my wife finds the smell of my pipe sexy. She loved it the other day after I came in from mowing when I smelled of grass and pipe.
You're a darn lucky fellow! :lol:

Texas Outlaw and Trout Bum can't recognize "pick up" lines even if they fell over them.[/quote]

Damn, that was a good one, Puffs!

And just for the record, as I was standing there, at the postal counter, loading baggies of tobacco into that box, I did feel extremely self conscious. I kind of felt like I was loading up a box of contraband in front of everybody. But, look how cool it turned out. Also, worth mentioning, is that the lady with the sister in Irag told me that the Wall Street Journal had recently published a big piece (she thought it was in Feb) on pipe smoking, and how it was completely different and better than cigarette smoking. She informed me that she had never in her life responded in written format to an article in a newspaper, but that she had written in a response to that article. (in favor!) I had recently seen a fellow piper make this comparison, and shared it with these two ladies:

Cigarettes is to pipe smoking what Britney Spears is to Mozart.

They loved it.

Slow Puffs":2pltfkdd said:
Texas Outlaw":2pltfkdd said:
Doh! :eek:

Geez - the same thing just happened to me when I picked up my TAD now at the post office. The lady said "That smells like tobacco. Smells nice" & a conversation was started. And no, I don't think it was a pick up line!

Bum,
I clicked on this thread with grave concern, expecting to see the words "FBI" and "stripsearch". Glad to see that it was a good story. Now in the NYC area, the correct way to reply to this lady would've been "How you doin'?" - now I see that you have ulterior motives - picking up chicks at the post office. NICE!

wintermute":ktchujfx said:
Bum,
I clicked on this thread with grave concern, expecting to see the words "FBI" and "stripsearch". Glad to see that it was a good story. Now in the NYC area, the correct way to reply to this lady would've been "How you doin'?" - now I see that you have ulterior motives - picking up chicks at the post office. NICE!
In the NYC area, any postal worker acting friendly would be cause for immediate suspicion. At least in Manhattan, seems like clerks are chosen to be surly and slow.

"Cigarettes is to pipe smoking what Britney Spears is to Mozart."

Oh buddy! I like this line!! :lol!:

No truer words have been spoken. :mrgreen:

Buck":i0l4gzda said:
"Cigarettes is to pipe smoking what Britney Spears is to Mozart."

Oh buddy! I like this line!! :lol!:

No truer words have been spoken. :mrgreen:
Great line!!!