Inconsistencies

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milan

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem in consistency with bulk tobaccos? I placed an order with two different online shops and the tobacco smells and tastes different even though they are said to be the same. Why is this? The shops storage methods, different batches slightly different, aging... maybe all three?
Thanks,
Milan

Could be in-house mix of the name brand pulled from the wrong bin or did the ran short top off / the they will never know to fill order.

I would call the store of dislike and mention it, Let them know your on a pipe forum and they will make it worth your while.

Guess I've just been lucky.

Hope it works out for you (let us know), John.

Interesting question. I've been reluctant to buy in bulk, because I don't know if I'd be able to tell if something I ordered was actually what I ordered. My taste buds just aren't that sensitive. I mean, I could tell if something had Latakia in it, but don't know if I could tell two similar blends apart if they came in plain plastic bags.

Guess I've been lucky since every bulk 'baccy I've had so far has been very consistent. But there again I've used blenders that are experienced. Not trying to imply that yours aren't, Milan.

In any case if it's enough of a difference to concern you I wouldn't hesitate to call them and raise an objection.

Just my 2c.

Cheers,

RR

Let's assume that tobacco inconsistencies are either known or unknown to the blender and/or manufacturer. If known, I would say they sold the tobacco as is because their need for profit outweighed their need for consistency; said another way they didn't care that they irritated those customers who would tell the difference as in the end they knew that most would buy this tobacco again until they got a satisfactory version.

These thoughts come directly from my buying experience with Samuel Gawith and 1792.
I had bought both a pound of it and Cob Plug three or four years ago, and neither was HO (high-octane/high nicotine). I swore I'd never buy bulk from them again as I'd also had problems with them with two other tobaccos. Never lasted for only three or four years as I very recently purchased another lb of 1792, which is entirely correct.

shootist51":3zoblp7l said:
Harlock999":3zoblp7l said:
but don't know if I could tell two similar blends apart if they came in plain plastic bags.
Then why does it matter?
I suppose to the notion one dislikes getting ripped off/wrong product, even if they're unaware it's happening. :) Sealed containers are just that, so it gives a sense of tamper resistance. Not to mention, if you're getting something that's wrong with a name on it, you may very well think there's something wrong with the right stuff down the road if you aren't familiar with it.

Personally, I try bits of bulk at the store...if I like it there, I get an ounce. If I go back and get more, I'll load up.

Online is more questionable, but then again, we can always ask BoB'ers what their experiences are.

It may be difficult to quantify "different", but could you be a bit more specific, say a little different, different or very different. Some blending houses seem to have a history of blend variability and some brands have changed blenders so conceivably one batch could be old stock and the other new stock.
In my personal experience I had one pound of FVF that was definitely different (drier and comparatively flavorless) possibly due to vacuum storage (over a year said the supplier IIRC) as it improved considerably after jarring and aging a few more years. (I'd call it a case of arrested development induced by vacuum storage; but what do I know?)
I have also noticed some exchange of character between bulk tobaccos in adjacent sealed plastic bags shipped during the heat of summer, so I suspect proximate stored bulk bags might exchange character; speculation again, what do I know?

Well... when I say different. It smells like whiskey and tastes stale. It's Lane 1Q and BCA. I do the 1:1 mix of the two and use the blend as an all day smoke. I've smoked a lot of it and have pipes dedicated to the blend. I placed an order with pipesandcigars.com, mixed the 1Q and BCA 1:1 as I always have and jarred it up. I noticed the difference in smell and then taste. It was the first time I had ordered from the site as I normally order from 4noggins or smokingpipes.com, which neither have ever sent a questionable batch (always the same, very consistent all the way around). Just wondering if maybe my order was filled incorrectly or if storage, age, or something else could have affected it?

I'm sorry that happened to you; I know from experience that if you like a blend, you like it for all the attributes that it had when you grew to like it. So you've established that liking and a new order doesn't measure up. Even if you could accommodate to it, your initial reaction is to dislike it. If you decide to find what things the twisted new batch has that you could like, you have to retrain your palate, which if possible is still not easy.

I tend to think that if we are to assign blame, it most readily falls on the hands of the blender.

I tend to think that if we are to assign blame, it most readily falls on the hands of the blender.
I agree, but when your first experience with a different online retailer turns up questionable results you don't always think rationally.
I moved that batch out and ordered from another retailer. Everything is back to normal. No worries.