Indian Motorcycles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ooohhhhhhhh....Mama likes. If I ever get another bike this is the one I want.

Last time I looked at Indian pricing...it was painful...very painful. Doesn't matter what they do to it...jet engine...500 horsepower...Price will kill them in the market.
Yep, just went back and looked. That dark horse is $28.000. That's a ton for a fairly basic bike.

DoverPipes":0632f95q said:
Kinda liking the Darkhorse myself......... :king:
Maybe we can get a deal on a pair,,, :cheers:

It is a tough economy to see a premium priced boutique bike. I guess if anyone can make it work it would be Polaris. I found it interesting that they worked so hard on engine sound. I've ridden a few Victorys, which are excellent motorcycles but never quite sounded right to my ears. I hope they can make it work it is a shame to have this American icon getting so beat up in the past 15 years.

For TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS I got this:

NewBMWatSprucewood001.jpg

Superior engineering, rugged reliability, 90 year heritage, unmatched long haul comfort, go anywhere-do anything capability, ABS, electronic suspension adjustment, low maintenence shaft drive, tubeless tires on spoked rims, trip computer, 8.7 gal. fuel tank (400+ mile range), heated grips, hand guards, aux. running lights, waterproof hard bags, virtually unlimited after-market accessories and a large, worldwide dealer network. What's not to love. The styling, perhaps? Not for everybody, I admit. But I'm a function over form guy. No more chrome bling for me. Had my fill of that a long time ago. ;)

CACooper

Yup, BMWs are top shelf in their class. I do think Polaris/Indian is targeting a different segment of the population though.

mark":8b421sbb said:
Yup, BMWs are top shelf in their class. I do think Polaris/Indian is targeting a different segment of the population though.
Perhaps.......<g>

N51600023_large.jpg

N53100022_large.jpg

CACooper":nckxuvlk said:
For TEN THOUSAND DOLLARS LESS I got this:

NewBMWatSprucewood001.jpg
I owned a R100 GSPD for 8 years and had a blast doing the AdvRider thing on jeep roads in the Western states. One thing I could not do on it, though, is putt along at 55 mph on a paved road and be content - it just made me impatient and fidgety on that bike. My Victory V92C cured that and it became my favorite ride. I sold the GS and replaced it with a dual-sported XR 650R to scratch the off-road itch.

If I ever drop the kind of dough on a motorcycle that Polaris wants for an Indian, it would be a sign that I'd lost my marbles and should be checked into the loony bin.

Steve

The new Indian is definitely being targeted at the high income crowd. Polaris is keeping the Victory positioned for the higher volume, mid-pricing segment. I almost considered a Victory when they put out the "bargain" priced Judge (horribly uncomfortable passenger seat, if my wife ain't happy I ain't happy). I really liked the looks of that bike for the price.

I have very much enjoyed the new Indian marketing campaign aimed straight at Harley's head. I am not sure how successful it will be, but the advertisements have been fun to read.

Now there's a motorcycle!
I don't know if these are built like they use to be but, I'm just a sucker for a pretty face.

overview_vintage_green_ivory.jpg

Just another brand name purchased by overseas companies to be exploited.

It ain't an Indian. It is a retro Polaris. Face it.

JKenP":lz9vvjsc said:

It ain't an Indian.  It is a retro Polaris.  Face  it.
I don't agree. Most motorcycle and many automotive companies have changed ownership over the years, as well as many corporations. It doesn't always change the product itself. I am not ready to sign off Indian yet.

What I don't like about the new Indian is the price point and the lack of smaller, more agile options. A mid sized remake of the Scout would be nice to see. I don't like the new Indians for the same reason I don't like the Harley baggers; too big and clumsy on the road. I like getting spirited in the corners.

So, while the new Indian is not for me I do wish the venture well. Some folks will be very happy with the big, nostalgic, tassled machine. Good for them.

Not having been around scooters in a long time I don't know who Polaris is, only the Indian name. But, if it's a Japanese knock off that's sad. But, I gotta say (whether I like to or not) they caught the look.

JKenP":kq8otzri said:
You may not be aware that Polaris is located in that third-world country of ....Minnesota. They do talk funny there....<g>

riff raff":nsp6et55 said:
JKenP":nsp6et55 said:
You may not be aware that Polaris is located in that third-world country of ....Minnesota.  They do talk funny there....<g>
By yimminy! :oops: 

JKenP":8rwztl90 said:
riff raff":8rwztl90 said:
JKenP":8rwztl90 said:
You may not be aware that Polaris is located in that third-world country of ....Minnesota.  They do talk funny there....<g>
By yimminy!  :oops: 
It gets worse...the motors are built in Osceola, Wisconsin. Wisconsin!???
Just having some fun at your expense Ken, because I know you have some thick skin! I actually thought they were built in Canada, so I learned something.