Input needed. What do you think about this pipe-

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
$129 for a Talbert is a steal!
Even if you buy it and it's not "your cup of tea", you will get all your $$$ back (and then some) when you re-sell it!

I'm a bent guy, too, and I like my pipes 5" or less, though I have longer. There's not many straights I give a second look to, but this was one of them. I like the horn stem, though I'm also a clencher...I'd take it for looks and substantiality.

For $129, though, none of that really matters. Handmade, name artist, I'm thinking of asking you to buy one for me!

Kyle Weiss":k9s0pznz said:
Rande, look at it this way: if you get it, and just can't deal with it, you have a forum of hungry appreciators here to take it off your hands. :cheers: :D
This. So much this. Honestly, the horn threw me off a bit. With an ebonite stem though... At that price!?!?!? I'd be hard pressed to get just one.

Looks like the LBs he makes, and suspect it is from that stock. I have a LB bulldog with a horn stem, and it is an excellent smoker. Don't know what your concern is with length, but at the temp tobacco burns, you mouth can't tell the difference in 1 1/4 in. shorter than you prefer.

If we were in a race and the trophy was that! I'd trip you! It's that cool.
Try something new, obviously something about it stuck with you. Leave your comfort zone you might find a new style you like.

And if you don't like it you won't have a hard time reselling it!

Pipe looks fabulous to me. 8) 8) I prefer billiards. If he had 2 for that price each I'd be interested in both.
AJ

OK OK, looks like I'll be ordering one based on all the great input from you fine folks.

And I'll get it with the horn stem since that holds some appeal for me, as well as accepting the stock length. That'll be different for me but you never know until you try, eh?

I have until July to place the order and apparently the pipes will be delivered in August. So it'll be a while until I can report on its performance.

Again, thanks for the recommendations all!

:D

Cheers,

RR

herbinedave":ep199aaa said:
His Ligne Bretagne line which looks extremely along the lines of this pipe retails for $50.00 more. They are made from old French stummels he came across in his time spent making pipes in France.
I agree with Dave. The Ligne Bretagne pipes he lists are sold within minutes. I'd grab that one, at that price, I don't think you can lose even if you don't like the pipe. I love his horn stems and that fat billiard shape is very appealing to me.

If you get it with the horn stem, I hope you like it.

As I recall, PeeDee got a horn stemmed pipe because it looked cool & hated it.

But maybe that was just him.

:face:

Yak":88mlblea said:

Can you reference the post Yak?

So what's the deal with horn stems? Are they just too hard on the teeth or something?

Cheers,

RR

Faux horn is just acrylic, like any other acrylic (give or take) except color. Usually okay on the teeth.

Real horn, as I've only experienced it on the handle of an old folding knife, seems very dense. I put the pocket knife in my teeth just now, and I can say I don't think I'd like it as stem material. :lol: Hey, it's all I had. Plus, if it heats up, it might smell or taste funny--given the tales from carvers that have worked with it turning tampers and stems alike.

My impression is that it got used until vulcanite came out because amber was too expensive for Ford/Chevy pipes, & re-appeared as a make-do during wartime when said stocks of vulcanite (which came from Germany) ran out.

Horn is chitin. Fingernails are chitin. Deer antler is chitin. Hair is chitin.

Yak":ulej4rzq said:
Horn is chitin. Fingernails are chitin. Deer antler is chitin. Hair is chitin.

And feathers. Don't forget feathers.

All smell terrible when heated to a certain degree. :lol: *shrug*

Yak":sgxcq3kl said:

Well, I pm'd PD about his experience with horn stems and without going into details it did not inspire me with confidence! And of course that was his experience with that particular one. Yet it did give me pause, and I'm currently re-thinking the alternative choice of an ebonite stem. Never had any issue with them.

And yet there are posters here on this thread that have horn stems on their Talberts. And none of them seemed to voice any undue objections.

I'm so corn-fused........

rausch.gif

Cheers,

RR

Hey, sorry I'm late to the show. Yes, my Viprati billiard with horn stem sucked, the horn tasted like it defiitely came off an old cow. But, that was one piece. However, might be a reason why they went away from the material decades ago, ya know?

That Talbert pipe is a very good value! If you were looking for a pipe for strong flakes or Lakeland-esque type mixtures, you'd be hard pressed to do better. I'd go with the ebonite myself, but you could always ask him to make both stems for you :?:

I have an LB with a horn stem and love it. It doesn't taste like dead cow and I personally think horn has an excellent feel to it between the teeth. The downside is that the bits have to be cut thicker due to the brittle nature of the material.