Interesting info regarding "additives" in pipe tobacco blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monbla256

Reaction score
Was reading thru Pipes Magizine and in Greg Peases May 2012 tonight and found this interesting item about "additives" or "casings" if you will in his blends and others. Guess Yak was right, every one adds something !!

"From Chrono: Hi, Greg. I was recently at a pipe club meeting that included a couple "industry" people. We were discussing the moisture content of tinned blends, and how Propylene Glycol can be unpleasant in tins from companies that use it. I stated how nice it was that you and C&D only use distilled water, and I was told that can’t be true, and the blends made by C&D definitely have PG (even though your website and theirs state only distilled water is used). I didn’t argue, but essentially I was told everyone uses PG and/or vinegar in their blends today, otherwise they’d have a mold problem. Can you address this? Do your blends or C&Ds have anything other that water? Is a separate mold inhibitor used? And what other companies, if any, do you know of that don’t use PG? It would be really nice to know what’s in our tins besides tobacco. Thanks!

A: It’s amazing how many things people "know" without having any actual inside knowledge at all. I can’t speak for other manufacturers, and wouldn’t feel right about discussing their methods even if I knew. I can tell you that I do not use PG in my blends, as there is simply no reason for me to do so. If I produced aromatics, or bulk tobaccos that might dry out too quickly if improperly stored, I might find a reason to change that, but in my current range, there’s no need for this or similar humectants, so I don’t use them.

On the other hand, PG has a far worse reputation than it deserves. Yes, it can be over used, and a lot of the goopy blends on the market probably have a fairly high percentage of the stuff, but used carefully, subtly, and only in the minimum amounts necessary to do its’ job, it’s hardly the liquid devil that some think it to be.

As regards mould inhibition, vinegar is often discussed, but the fact is, it simply does not work. I did a lot of experiments addressing these issues years ago, and it was fascinating to watch huge cultures of fungus grow on every tobacco sample treated with different concentrations of vinegar solutions. On the other hand, the industry standard, food grade inhibitors (fungistatics) that are used routinely in not only the tobacco industry, but in baked goods, cheese and so on, were very effective at checking outbreaks, even at very low concentrations. For several years, we’ve used this product at the lowest effective levels to minimize the risk, without imparting impurities to the taste or aroma of the tobacco, or effecting burning or aging characteristics. Nobody wants to find fuzzy, stinky tobacco in that tin they’ve been cellaring for years, so it’s a good tradeoff."

Guess there is really NO st. Va or otherwise !! :p

It used to be that he cited a guy claiming he smoked only "natural" tobacco and then shot that down with "The only way anybody ever smoked 100% natural tobacco is if he got it out of a curing barn." But that probably sounded harsh so he re-wrote the gist of it.

Point was not that Union Square was "100% Natural tobacco" -- it was that US is the only Straight Virginia out there that really is Straight Virginia. No pinch of Burley for a rounder bottom (so to speak), to condimental whisp of Latakia, no Perique, no nothin' but Virginias. It's quite an accomplishment.

Looking forward to trying some in a few days here when the package arrives 8)

:face:

A generous, well-known brother sent me some home grown 'bacca some time ago, and I put the baggie of golden, cured leaves in my humidor (that I only use for open tins of pipe tobacco. Two weeks later, I thought I'd snip some off and dry it out to try it. The bag I pulled out must have been switched on my by mistake--was this stuff green when I first put it in?

Shoot. So much for trying some home grown. I was looking forward to that.

Well, you got to thumb your nose, Monbla, great job. May it win you unending praise. Union Square has additives, which makes it the same as Smoker's Pride. What was I thinking? It's all a big scam! :lol:

8)

Kyle Weiss":ylnlzyhm said:
Union Square has additives, which makes it the same as Smoker's Pride. What was I thinking? It's all a big scam! :lol:

8)

Yup Kyle - as long as you've got your Smoker's Pride and your Borkum Riff. Sounds like you're good to go after all.

And here you were buying the expensive stuff, when you can get all of the same additives in the OTC blends. :mrgreen:

I am not a big fan of tobacco additives. I know some say they all have it, but none of those talking are manufacturers, and only they know. I have smoked tobacco straight from the field, and some of the C&D stuff is the closest to that. I do know that C&D and GLP blends are the only ones I have ever experienced tobacco beetles in. Scientists say that the tobacco beetle larvae will only eat pure tobacco. A couple years ago, I went on vacation, and the A/C went out. When I came back the C&D and GLP had beetles in them, none of the other 85 jars did.

I remember reading accounts of others with GLP tobacco that got 'bacca bugs when it hit warmer temperatures, but the other stuff was fine.

I also hear anything with Latakia will inhibit mold and bugs, too--makes me wonder if there wasn't a tactical reason for applying smoke to tobacco like one would fish or meat. :scratch:

8)

Kyle Weiss":kcukmarr said:
I also hear anything with Latakia will inhibit mold and bugs, too--makes me wonder if there wasn't a tactical reason for applying smoke to tobacco like one would fish or meat. :scratch:

8)
Works for my beard. :p
(Or at least it did when I had one. :scratch: )

The bugs are funny. (Funny unusual. Not funny hee hee). Put the tobacco in a vacuum chamber, suck the air out, & the beetle eggs explode.

= no beetles.

They do that with cigar leaf all the time.

monbla256":s3m0o3v4 said:
Guess there is really NO st. Va or otherwise !!
Well, yes there is straight Virginia. You can grow it yourself, organically if you wish using a solution of dish detergent to deter the bugs,,,and a lot of dedicated picking the pests off the underside of the leaves.

Without topping or casing I don't think most people would be impressed with the natural leaf.

Kyle Weiss":f2pgy89k said:
Exploding bugs (and their eggs) are kind of ha-ha funny, though. 8)
I don't disagree, but I think I need to read the beginning of this thread...

Not surprisingly, it was weirdness in reference to Yak's later comment... 8)

Yak":rmt7wska said:
The bugs are funny. (Funny unusual. Not funny hee hee). Put the tobacco in a vacuum chamber, suck the air out, & the beetle eggs explode.

= no beetles.

They do that with cigar leaf all the time.

mmmmmmm? Sounds like vacuum packing.