Interesting Meerschaum

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Growley

Reaction score
My brother snapped these pics at an antique show the other day and asked me if I wanted him to pick it up for me. I passed due to the price and not being able to see it in person, but I thought I'd share it with you guys.

I can't quite tell in the photo, but it looks like a female figure. If so, I think it's interesting because it's different from most female figural pipes I've seen before. Most seem to be more along the lines of some busty young lady draped over, on or around something. This lady actually seems to be dressed up.

It's a cool pipe, and if it's truly this old, it's probably worth the cost, but I just couldn't swing the price tag.

Anyone recognize the figure?

photo_26.jpg

photo_27.jpg

I see a lot of these on ebay. The carving looks very nice which is actually some indicator of age. Meerschaums these day just aren't carved as well as they used to be. If the stem is actually amber that also suggests that it is older. Depending on the condition, I've seen some sell for some stupid money, but $250 seems about right in the middle. I wouldn't call it a good deal, but I wouldn't call it a rip off either. I'm by no means a meerschaum expert so take that with a grain of salt.

I too believe from the photos that it could very well be an older one and looks to have an amber stem. Hard to see if there is any coloring going on to it because of the photo.
It looks to be in almost too good of condition but, that again could just be the photo.
$250 I think for that pipe is at the high end thinking maybe more like $165 - $180 but, I'm a bit of a cheap stake to say the least. ;) 

Really nice one there! The price is a bit steep but not out of the question. It is a really attractive piece! As for condition, anything is possible! I've found old meers that age that were unsmoked.

Jim

I believe the figure is Marie Antoinette or Josephine. There might be some ware on the front where the piper would have held the pipe if he or she did not hold it by the stem (not with my Meerschaums!). I agree that it looks antique, but would not the bee’s wax have yellowed more than it has?

I'd have offered a buck and a half for it; let the seller work me up to $180 or so. That's if I actually wanted it.

I just noticed, because I read the whole tag this time, not just the price.
That pipe is only 4 inches long, $250 In your dreams my friend! More like $125, maaaaaybe $150.
Do ya hear me squeak when I walk. ;)

Cartaphilus":q55mclan said:
That pipe is only 4 inches long, $250 In your dreams my friend! More like $125, maaaaaybe $150.
Cart...You keep posting the coolest smiley faces (Emoticons). Where are you getting them?

LT bees wax is more recent meers in the early 1800's they were much more commonly coated with sperm whale oil. Here's a pic of an unsmoked meer cigar holder from the mid 1800's still white as snow. Wish I'd kept it but the temptation to smoke it was just too much for me.

Jim

Growley":a7vfhu65 said:
Cartaphilus":a7vfhu65 said:
Cart...You keep posting the coolest smiley faces (Emoticons). Where are you getting them?
I stole borrowed them from another website I use to frequent.
I can send you them if you'd like. The only hassle is you have to post them the same
way you do a photo, at least that's how I do it.

It is a very nice looking pipe.
Any idea of the maker or carvers name?
If its a newer pipe I'd say you paid a high end price, but if
really an 1800's hand carved block meerschaum from a known
carver or house you paid a fair price IMO.
I remember back in the 60's my mom paying 200 and more for my
dad's meerschaum pipe gifts.
Enjoy, John.

for the size, id say 150 would have been fair. just because something is old doesn't always make it inherently more valuable. its a nice pipe though