Interesting observation

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DireWolf

Reaction score
I am assuming some of this is standard stuff in developing a tobacco palate.

I bounced around a lot bowl to bowl, blend to blend. My fellow car pooler is out for a few weeks, and I have been smoking full bowls of stuff to and from work (hour long smokes). With that extra pipe time, and to keep open containers to a minimum - I have been trying to spend some time with a specific new blend.

Recently got a range of GLP English blends from mild (blackpoint) to big (Odyssey, etc.). Started at the lighter end, and have been having a couple bowls of Blackpoint a day.

I like it a lot - smooth, bright, sweet, easy to smoke, good with coffee.

I telecommute on Thursdays, and have been able to have 2 bowls already. Thought I'd try some Mississippi River I've had for a while, and struggled a bit with. Random bowl here and there, in a cob while pruning fruit trees and blueberry bushes - just puffing away. Good but not seeing what people are talking about.

After sitting with the Blackpoint, I am noticing things I haven't tasted before. I (think) I can taste the perique - I gat a molasses type spice cake taste I've never noticed before. This is a bit fuller, too - which tells me I am noticing the bright Va's a bit in the Blackpoint.

Maybe I am making it up, but it's interesting to notice.

The MR was decent before, but I feel like I noticed some things in this bowl I'm sipping away on that take it up a little more - if that makes sense. It's a subtle thing.

I do notice them - but this was more back to back.

It's more (with respect to the OP) noticing subtleties in the same blend.

I think anyway - I can taste things in the MR that I didn't taste before, making me appreciate it more as a blend, if that makes sense.

I've been smoking more English blends than anything, and can get some of the differences between them - but this was a change within one blend. I like Mississippi River more, because I have been smoking so much Blackpoint in the last couple days, if that makes sense.

That said, that is likely based on what you are talking about.

These are ramblings of a noob, remember.

:lol3

I am often surprised by the nuances I find when smoking a favourite blend in a different instance. Like how certain flavours pop when changing what I'm drinking, eating, what time of day it is, where my head is at. Even the more pedestrian smokes change faces on me when consumed in different circumstances..

The way you feel about MR is how I felt about Squadron Leader. What's the big deal? So the tin I had opened sat for a bit and I noticed it was getting just a little dry. Decided to just smoke it up on my morning commutes. By the end of that week I was sad it was gone.

Had a few bowls of S L - I jarred it up and set it aside for now.