Invicta watches

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aristokles

Reaction score
Are there any watch repairmen in our ranks here who can give me some advice on changing batteries in two Invicta watches I have. Both are gifts from my mother who invariably gives me a new watch every other Christmas. She has been on an Invicta kick lately and so I have two from the last 3 - 4 years, both of which need new batteries.
My local jeweler usually does these jobs for me cheap on other brands but begs off on these. One because the retaining strap screw is too small for him to work. The other because it is too big (wide) for his case tool. I have yet to find a pro in Pittsburgh to do these.
And...not being adverse to the do-it-yourself route I have bought replacement batteries and large tool to try it myself. (I do other brands w/o a hitch).
Last night I opened the first and saw the strap; just closed it back up and said, "Oh well".
The other I could not budge open even with the proper tool.
Invicta wants $28.95 PER watch plus cost of batteries and shipping PLUS 90 DAYS! turn around time.

Sheesh, what a scam.

These ain't Rolex,ya' know.

Aristokles,

Don't send it to Invicta. Their CS is notoriously atrocious. Some watch kiosks will change their batteries, but sometimes they claim that Invicta is a "high end" brand and try to charge higher prices. What are the models?

Thanks guys. I think I solved the problem this afternoon. Late last night a watchsmith from the Squirrel Hill area of Pittsburgh returned my call. He repairs grandfather clocks onsite and could not return my query earlier. He was familiar with my problem and I dropped them off this afternoon.

Frankly the only high-end I can see with these watches are high prices for heavy watches, although the inner works surely looked impressive over a standard Wenger.

But, silly me, I was so fixed on the watch issue that I forgot that there is a true, old style tobacconist somewhere in Squirrel Hill that ONLY blends pipe tobacco. No commercial prepared stuff. I will check him out when I deliver wife's antique mantel clock for repair at my new reparman. See what I started?

Aristokles":4l7c04gy said:
Thanks guys. I think I  solved the problem this afternoon. Late last night a watchsmith from the Squirrel Hill area of Pittsburgh returned my call. He repairs grandfather clocks onsite and could not return my query earlier. He was familiar with my problem and I dropped them off this afternoon.

Frankly the only high-end I can see with these watches are high prices for heavy watches, although the inner works surely looked impressive over a standard Wenger.

But, silly me, I was so fixed on the watch issue that I forgot that there is a true, old style tobacconist somewhere in Squirrel Hill that ONLY blends pipe tobacco. No commercial prepared stuff. I will check him out when I deliver wife's antique mantel clock for repair at my new reparman. See what I started?
Everything we do there lies a reason and yours was to find a good tobacconist in your own backyard.  ;) 

Aristokles":m7fw7dkf said:
Thanks guys. I think I  solved the problem this afternoon. Late last night a watchsmith from the Squirrel Hill area of Pittsburgh returned my call. He repairs grandfather clocks onsite and could not return my query earlier. He was familiar with my problem and I dropped them off this afternoon.

If you could PM me the watchsmith's info it would be appreciated. I need some of my watches serviced and I don't like my local guy. And of course a review and location of the tobacconist!  :cheers: 

Mozjo33":uuuigs3d said:
Aristokles":uuuigs3d said:

If you could PM me the watchsmith's info it would be appreciated. I need some of my watches serviced and I don't like my local guy. And of course a review and location of the tobacconist!  :cheers: 
I'll be glad to do both after I see what he does with these two watches. I must also locate the tobacconist - the Squirrel Hill area is one I ALWAYS get lost in, even with Garmin aid.

As an aside to my saga, while buying batteries for these two pieces I erred in buying (too quick on the click) a 5-pack of ones I do not need. I gave all mine to the repairman but he handed me back the mistakes and said, "Keep these, you never know". Actually he wanted none of them but I insisted so as not to be tempted in future to experiment where I should not be. Lesson NOT learned.
This morning, for the heck of it I took out another gift watch from Mom which also needed a battery - this a dress watch I only use for suit attire (church). Popped the back off, behold, same battery as my mistakes. "Lucky" me. Put in new battery - runs. Now I can't seat the back back on. What an idiot. Now he has another one to "fix". I'll never learn...

I'm better in pipe shops, I hope.

Is that tobbaconist on Murry Ave? I have fond memories of a Squirrel Hill tobacco shop along Murry that was staffed by an elderly woman who smoked a cob. I bought a lot of tobacco from her while I was at Pitt. She described the collection of jars on the counters as containing English or Junk :) I went back about 10 years ago and found the store staffed by a young couple and some items on the shelves I didn't recognize as pipes.
Mike.

MichaelM":j6gm7aro said:
Is that tobbaconist on Murry Ave? I have fond memories of a Squirrel Hill tobacco shop along Murry that was staffed by an elderly woman who smoked a cob. I bought a lot of tobacco from her while I was at Pitt. She described the collection of jars on the counters as containing English or Junk :) I went back about 10 years ago and found the store staffed by a young couple and some items on the shelves I didn't recognize as pipes.
Mike.
Probably the same - Continental Smoke Shop, I think. I was within two blocks of it picking up my watches (from their successful service) but begged off looking for it due to rush hour traffic. I'll have another chance as wife had me take her antique mantel clock in for repair (Think $$$ , why did I ever offer?)

Well, hopefuly the clock won't be too expensive and some subsequent pad/tad will ease the pain :) Continental is definitely the place I used to go. Please give us a report when you make the visit. I still get to the area to visit my wife's family and would love to see the place recovered.
Mike.

Great another place to spend money! :lol!: 

Happy to hear the watch repairs went well. What is the name of the watch place?