Invicta

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GCook

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
P10208952.jpg

This is a pipe I like to insult yet is a great smoker.  Affectionately dubbed "Turd", it bears the name Invict(a) on the back.  (FWIW, I do smoke Best Brown in it.)  It has a wide chamber at the top, about 15/16" but is conical despite its fat bottom.  It has a stinger, but I'm not sure if it was born with one.  It seems older than my 4th grade teacher (who actually voted against Millard Fillmore but got caught).

There is a website for Invicta Briars, but it doesn't work too well on my computer.  There is a photo of a similar pipe called HOGGESDEN on it, but no info on the designer.  I wonder if that was intentional.

Mostly, I wanted to hoist Turd here to embarrass it.  I'm curious if others have any experience with Invicta pipes and whether there is any way to determine its age. 

Before I forget, the stem is loose.  Beeswax is losing its effectiveness.  Short of a new stem being made for it, is there yet another solution?

Thank you for your collective wisdom.

You might get a new stem so the pipe can continue to live up to it's name. 8)

If it's a vulcanite stem you might try dipping the tenon in boiling hot water a few moments then gently pressing it down (perpendicular) against a flat surface. You might be able to expand the end just enough to make a snugger fit. Be very gentle because you could snap the tenon if you're too enthusiastic. Rememeber to remove the stinger beforehand.

the stem guy at my local b&m does it for $20 - $25 and does a fantastic job, i bet that turd will smoke even better with some polish on it and a stem minus a stinger!

GCook":sanjj1vd said:
Before I forget, the stem is loose.  Beeswax is losing its effectiveness.  Short of a new stem being made for it, is there yet another solution?

Thank you for your collective wisdom.

I always put a wee bit of superglue on the tenon, spread it evenly and let dry.  If it's to tight, it's easy to get rid of the excess glue bu using a bit of sand paper.

Invicta has a wide selection of pipes, from basic "drugstore" to handmade. Briar Blues has two at the moment, one a super nice bent bulldog handmade by Colin Fromm! Not too shabby for $150! 4Noggins usually carries a few Invicta's as well. FWIW! FTRPLT

Haaaaa! A smoothy! That IS it! I really do like turd not just for being a good smoker, see my profile at the left about my penchant for canted and unusual shapes. It's the fecal rustication that earned it's nickname. My GF instantly liked it when I showed it to her last week and insisted I smoke it more. Which I would, except for the loose stem, which is the reason I posted it here. The stem is actually snug enough with the stinger in place. But it seems like it was taken from another pipe, cut down, and jury-rigged to make this stem snug. Does yours possess a stinger?

I was unsuccessful with the hot water/push method, I'm going to try the superglue or nail polish trick next. Thank you all for your info.

To prove my love for awkward pipes, this is turd's cabinet mate, a Don Carlos Kronos. I bought it to celebrate getting my present job back in 2005.

Didn't care much for the smoking quality. Keep in mind, almost all my pipes are at least 40 years old. Fresh briar taste is foreign to me. I've smoked this maybe twice and put it away. Maybe 8 years mellowed it a bit.

Will your Kronos pass the "pipe cleaner" test? How is the shaft drilled...straight, or does it follow the curve of the stem/shank? great looking briar! FTRPLT

ftrplt":11de8dd0 said:
Will your Kronos pass the "pipe cleaner" test? How is the shaft drilled...straight, or does it follow the curve of the stem/shank? great looking briar! FTRPLT
Not seen a curved drilling in a pipe. I think that is the domain of oil wells.

Until I joined this list, I never knew about the pipe cleaner test. I tried it, and yes, both pipes do. (Turd without stinger.) The Kronos shows a straight bore from top of mortise to bottom of bowl, but there is some extra excavations going on in there if I peer down the mortise with a light. Hmmm.

Loved the grain. Here's the bottom of the Kronos

Bit of insight: the DC website suggested pressed blends due to 3/4" bore. Gonna fire up a flake of DSK to give it another chance.

I wish I could remember the various pipe magazines containing articles on drilling bent pipes. Some are obviously easy as the angle supports a fairly straight path, or as it appears in the case of GCook's Kronos; a series of straight drills to form a "curve." I do remember a discussion (with illustrations) on how Dunhill drilled their famous "LC" swan necked pipes. There are "flexible" drilling bits available. Perhaps some of our BoB pipemakers will pitch in on this subject. I followed a really nice, high grade bent on eBay about three weeks ago. The seller remarked that he couldn't get it to pass the "pipe cleaner" test due to the curve of the drilling. FWIW...FTRPLT