Irish Whiskey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Three words. Jameson Irish Whiskey.

The setup: Whiskey is my spirit of choice. Sure, there’s other stuff I like, but I center on Whiskey.  My son buys me a bottle of ‘good stuff’ for Christmas every year and it takes me about a year to finish it...so I don’t drink a lot, but I like ‘interesting’ and ‘quality’.  I like barrel proof bourbon.  I like good Scotch.  I like sour mash.  I like it neat or with one large ice cube in a rocks glass.  The ice brings out added flavors for whatever reason.  

If I drink a mixed drink before dinner it’s typically a Manhattan.  After dinner it’s a Godfather (1 shot each of Scotch and Amaretto on the rocks...crazy good dessert drink).

So:  Never had Irish Whiskey before my wife brought home a bottle of Jameson yesterday.  Mmmmmmm.  Nice.  Smooth.  Friendly.  Did I say smooth. Not designer stuff but I can see how Jameson could be very dangerous. I’m sure there are really fine Irish Whiskeys out there. I’d likely guess Jameson and Bushmills and Tullamore Dew are a solid entry level trio with things going up from there.

Whatever. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day and be careful.

Jameson is good stuff!

I crack up on the TV series "The Wire". There is one scene when the cop is stalking the big heroin dealer at some swank party with an open bar. The cop is Irish Catholic, as if a cop would be anything else, and asks the bartender if they have any whiskey. The bartender replies Bushmills. He replies, "BUSHMILLS? That's protestant whiskey!" and get's it anyway.

Not sure I've travelled that road, BH, so I must give it a try.  I'm a fan of the Scottish single malts. When I lived in the Highlands I made it my mission to try as many as I could and visit a few distilleries.  Fond memories of taking canoe expeds down the River Spey passing all the distilleries, each of which mashed on different days giving that wonderful aroma.  Sadly my Christmas gift, a bottle of Lagavulin, expired in mid Feb :cry:

Prefer Jameson over the other non-boutique (you know, the ones less than $35 or so) IWs. Back when 1780 was only a few bucks more, it was a frequent drink. Like everything else, it's no longer like that. It's buttery.

Love me some Jamisons, if you like that, you’ll love Tullamore Dew and Bushmills Blackbush. I find Tullamore to be sweeter than Jamisons and Bushmills the most complex of the three. Also have to mention Teelings which is even smoother than Jamisons and as complex as Bushmills flavour wise.