Is it an aircraft or a boat?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kilted1

Reaction score
Probably few here have heard of the Ekranoplan program of the former Soviet Union. It is actually very real!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YSYmSnpQ360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

More here: Caspian Sea Monsters.....Ekranoplan, WIGS

This one is in German (I think)

Ekranoplan Caspian Sea Monster ground effect plane

Wikipedia: Ground effect vehicle

Enjoy the wacky world of inventions ...

Carlos":c2q4obhk said:
Interesting. I can see why the military would jump on it.
Thanks for posting this, the Russian or really Soviet version was featured in a recent James Bond (not written by Ian Flemming) book, Devil May Care. The plot make intersting use of it's capabilites.

I wonder if it could handle choppy seas, the Capsian Sea is reletively tame compare to the Atlantic or Pacific.

I was gonna say, I know I've heard that name somewhere. Thanks for pointing that one out Mac!

I've seen intel pictures of this thing armed with nuke missiles. I guess the idea was to launch a bunch of these in various bodies of water to cause mayhem and other problems!! Evidently, not enough power to "fly" in ground effect and carry a meaningful payload. FTRPLT

I always wondered why the various attempts never came to any meaningful addition to the former Soviet Military. I suspect it was a combination of lack of payload capacity and not performing well on the open ocean.

Still a fascinating platform ...