Is Peretti's Oriental #40 the best blending "O" out there?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Is Peretti's Oriental #40 the best blending "O" out there?

On the Peretti site this is described as "A blend entirely made of tobaccos from the Near East...having both richness and full flavor." Yeah sure on the first and I would certainly hope so on the second.

Yeah sure on the first due to the list of contents: Virginia, Oriental & Turkish. But maybe they get their VA's from the Near East?

I would hope so on the second since I'd hate to find too many blends that were considered drab and flavorless. Just sayin'

But other than that, what about "O-40" would qualify it as the best or at least a top Oriental blending component?

1. Availability. Can't blend with it unless it's there...it's just that simple.

2. Quality. This is a consistant hallmark of all Peretti blends.

3. A small amount adds significant flavor...the stuff has a potent flavor level. Just load up some by itself. Yowzza!

4. It imparts a potent and arguably excellent Oriental flavor (IMHO). You'd think that would be a basic requirement, right?

5. You know exactly what's in it so your note-taking is accurate. Oops! Belay that one. Peretti's won't divulge what's in there in terms of ratios, etc.

Anyway, aside from getting it and that it's good leaf...it's all about the flavors.. And that moves the whole 'debate' into the zone of personal preference and opinion.

I mean, my favorite Oriental overall is Turkish...love the flavors...call it Smyrna if you like as I hear they're the same thing. But as in most things like this (take coffee as an example...call it Colombian...there are most likely 5000 farms in Colombia and they all produce a bean that tastes a little or a lot different) there are micro-climate differences and others that come in as well. But we generically refer to something by it's general region. It's the best we've got.

So for someone that's prone to being hunched over a triple beam balance and balancing moisture levels and making cramped notes on a grid lined little lab notebook...this may not work all that well. But results are at least reproducable since Peretti's is nicely consistant. And it you like the stuff as a component tobacco (and I do) then it should be OK.

Before I thankfully let you go, I'd be remiss if I didn't hand out at least one favorite recipe.

Here it is...it's wild, it's crazy...but it's wonderfull! I did name this at one point, but have since re-thought it and believe the following is 'right'.

"Joel Cairo" (You'll take it, and you'll LIKE it!)

2/3 ratio Hearth and Home Lakeland Brickle Fortissimo
1/3 ratio Peretti's Oriental #40

Sounds really good, I've been on a burley and VA kick for the past couple years without smoking any Oriental tobacco. I've enjoyed Latakia blends in the past but don't think I've ever tried anything Oriental forward at all. The fact that it's a good blender to boot makes it even more enticing. Going to try to talk the wife into getting me some for Christmas :santa: Thanks for the write up, Blackhorse!

Oh dear. I wouldn't bank my Christmas on someone else's idea of a good blend!

You might want to order a couple ounces of some regular 'O' forward blends to try first. Try one of the following :

Patton's Oriental Dusk or Crossroads (via 4-N's)
McClelland's remake of Pebblecut
C&D's Riverboat Gambler or Sunday Picnic
GLP's Embarcadero

I almost didn't list the big 'E' for two reasons. First I knew either Kyle or YAK would save me the trouble, and second, I think it's too finicky. Most of the guys here proclaim you have to smoke it in a new pipe! While that's likely not an option for most guys I do agree that the lighter Oriental blends are enhanced by using a very well cleaned briar with as little ghosting from other stinky tobaccos as possible. A Meer would also do well I think.

Blackhorse":t2bk0set said:
It won't be a big order, if any order at all. She is working one day a week until the baby comes next month then not working at all. I'm not sure if she has anything saved or not so far. I did tell her that if she plans on getting anything for me for Christmas, I would like tobacco 8) I told her last year not to get me anything at all and she listened. I don't really need anything for Christmas, I'll have a new daughter by then and I already have a loving wife. Everything else is just more icing on the cake

Johnny":g7xvwdn8 said:
Blackhorse":g7xvwdn8 said:
It won't be a big order, if any order at all. She is working one day a week until the baby comes next month then not working at all. I'm not sure if she has anything saved or not so far. I did tell her that if she plans on getting anything for me for Christmas, I would like tobacco 8) I told her last year not to get me anything at all and she listened. I don't really need anything for Christmas, I'll have a new daughter by then and I already have a loving wife. Everything else is just more icing on the cake
Just remember, when they say they don't want ANYTHING for a birthday or Christmas, DO NOT, NOT get them a present! Men, that's a different thing. :p

I know "orientals" is an accepted term for the tobaccos grown and processed in the Near East/Eastern Mediterranean, but I'm a bit annoyed because this moniker is a generalization -- much liking labeling the Basques as Spaniards. This can be frustrating because I have found that I enjoy certain orientals better than others and one or two that I don't like at all.

Still, unless you're a commercial blender, finding "pure" leaf of a specific oriental can be daunting. I have been fortunate in finding a few and have experimented with small amounts to make my own blends.

I've come to narrow it down and my preference is the Izmir leaf and, as I posted in another thread, I'm enjoying mixing the Izmir with various (mostly Virginia) tobaccos.

Though I can see why, for proprietary reasons, blenders are rarely specific regarding the specific content of their creations, I find it rather unfortunate and a bit frustrating all too often.

I was merely being perverse, but... Embarcadero. :lol:

Serious hat back on, if I may please, I don't know enough about Turkish or Orientals to make a call. P's O'40 did me quite well. Hat still on, I'm a huge fan of the way Red Virginia rounds out Izmir leaf in... not going to say it. She's picky, but she's not impossible. Subtle blends need clean pipes. Some guys might still throw any ol' thing in their bowls, and I think a lot of complicated 'bacca that whispers more than shouts might enjoy some exclusiveness.

Fun hat change-up, baby platypus.

baby-platypus-500x379.jpg

(...they don't like Embarcadero.)

8)

monbla256":9bq2lfdb said:
Johnny":9bq2lfdb said:
Blackhorse":9bq2lfdb said:
Just remember, when they say they don't want ANYTHING for a birthday or Christmas, DO NOT, NOT get them a present! Men, that's a different thing. :p
I'm really lucky, her birthday is two days after Christmas. I know better than to combine the presents too. I have to get seperate Christmas presents and seperate birthday stuff. Last year I got her a Keurig machine for Christmas and a rare action figure set for her birthday. Yes, she loves to collect action figures!

Kyle - I agree wholeheartedly re the 'clean bowl at least' baseline, as should we all. But having recently obtained a new briar I made good use of the event by revisited two blends I had only smoked in well used briars...Oriental Dusk and a related blend also by John Patton, Crossroads. I am forced by my experience to admit that I was quite surprised that there were what I'll call several layers of 'flavor subtitles' that were illuminated. I mean if it had been Dark Flake and Black Irish Twist...fugedaboudit. But the Patton 'O' blends like most blends containing 'O' component tobaccos really came through...it was like flipping the switch to Hi Res 1080p HD. The Crossroads esp jumped out. Not having impressed me much before I was shocked at how much it sparkled in the new briar. :shock:

Patton's Quadruple Virginia is the same way, so it isn't just the Oriental stuff. He has a way with tobacco detail that really stands out, and doesn't seem to merely mimic something else. Too many signs are pointing to me needing to go sell some plasma to make a 4Noggins order... *sigh*

...anyway, thinking out loud. In any case, "sterile" (as in new briar) isn't the same as "clean," in my book. Clean just means a daily regimen of swabbing out the pipes, either dry or with some grain alcohol, letting them rest a day or so, and making sure nothing too different than the subtlety of the tobacco can handle. Lakeland and heavy Latakia pipes? Probably would take a long time with funky results to start clearing the fog to clarity with some subtle "O's." Some guys clean their pipes once a month, and that's their prerogative, hell, some pipes I don't care to clean too much myself--like cobs and Lat pipes. I just dust 'em out when they're dry. *shrug*

Oriental tobacco is my next new fascination for sure.

8)