Is smoking a sin whats you thoughts on it

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess that I'm as guilty of it as anyone else, but after thinking on this some I figure pointing to a religious leader and saying, "Hey, he does it! It must be OK!" is a poor argument IMHO. We could look at many so-called "religious leaders" or "Christian" leaders and see pedophiles, adulterers, fornicators, drunkards, murderers, liars, thieves, etc. We could justify just about any sin in that manner if that was the rule of thumb that we lived by.

There were several good arguments made in previous posts that didn't go that route, though. Well stated!

To me it's like when you share your faith with someone and tell them the good news of a God who is willing to save the people who rebelled against Him. One response you often receive is, "Hey, look at so-and-so Christian over there. He left his wife or robbed a bank or embezzled all that money from his employer, etc. Why should I follow a religion where people do that?" You could really point out anyone who takes the "Christian label" and see humanity in all its glory. But the problem there is that there was only one to walk this earth who claimed to be perfect, Jesus Christ. Follow me around for a day (an hour?) and I'll let you down at some point. But Christ will not. My goal is to just try and be like Him.

So it is with this issue of smoking and many others. What is your sole authority for deciding what is right and wrong? Your religious leader? That preacher Robert met? Your father? Your neighbor? The lady in the grocery store? A magazine article you read? The Word of God?

As a Christian I believe the Bible does not prohibit smoking in moderation. I might be able to make the "body is God's temple" argument on heavy smokers, but haven't formed a solid opinion on that one.

As far as your response to the preacher, Robert, I think it is always best to return a kind word. You were right not to go after him. I wish my own pride would allow me to do that more often, but you handled that situation well. I would hope that I would have smiled, offered a "God bless you, sir," and walked away. Good for you for demonstrating patience.

TallSmoke":ycn9jn49 said:
To me it's like when you share your faith with someone and tell them the good news of a God who is willing to save the people who rebelled against Him. One response you often receive is, "Hey, look at so-and-so Christian over there. He left his wife or robbed a bank or embezzled all that money from his employer, etc. Why should I follow a religion where people do that?"
Joe,

That is the oldest ploy in satan's bag of tricks! He tries and is successful to some degree, to get our eyes and heart off of our own personal relationship with the Lord and onto what our neighbors (other people) around us are doing which traps us in a snare of ungodly judgement. I am preaching to the choir here! Non the less that is one of satan's main strategies.

Now that I've thought about this some more my suggestion for next time is to open a can of this:

The only things I can think of that would make it a sin would be the bits about "your body is a temple" and that addiction makes you a slave to something other than God.

Now, I don't have verses for these...I'm going to guess Corinthians or Romans, but I haven't opened my Bible in a year or two and I intend to keep it that way.

If anyone is concerned about the consequences of smoking...quit! If you're going to have to have it hanging on your conscience and then deal with it at the end of every day, it's not worth it. Smoking is fun and pleasurable...worrying about whether or not a red devil is going to poke you with a pitchfork for eternity isn't quite as enjoyable.

But, I suppose if one isn't religious, then the question really is moot, since as a matter of "right" and "wrong" each person can do what they want to their body so long as they are not infringing on the liberty of others...therefore, smoking is more or less okay in my opinion.

robertw1249":mzwhbikh said:
hi ... you know smoking a sin and some of the other lady where saying that it was a sin but out of respect for my grandpa i did not say a word...
These guys think we're OK with it but you could ask over there. This is the sort of thing they like to talk about (when they're done talking about pipes) http://christianpipesmokers.net/index.php.

I'm totally OK with it if that helps.

And I've made it my business that it isn't my business to worry about what other people think about me (or my pipe smoking). Except for Mrs. Moo, that is.

robertw1249":0ts0rdg0 said:
yeah it is the older lady i bring the smokes to she smokes out side in all kind of weather she is a tuff old lady she has had a tuff life so i do enjoy doing that for her it make her happy
And kindness is one of the seven cardinal virtues. That's the exact opposite of a sin, if the preacher wants to have another gentlemanly debate about it. From the sound of it, you may be the one to have to keep it gentlemanly though.

Mister Moo":m23zsgf7 said:
robertw1249":m23zsgf7 said:
hi ... you know smoking a sin and some of the other lady where saying that it was a sin but out of respect for my grandpa i did not say a word...
These guys think we're OK with it but you could ask over there. This is the sort of thing they like to talk about (when they're done talking about pipes) http://christianpipesmokers.net/index.php.

I'm totally OK with it if that helps.

And I've made it my business that it isn't my business to worry about what other people think about me (or my pipe smoking). Except for Mrs. Moo, that is.
Bookmarked. Thanks for the link.

Anything I want to do is fine because I want to do it.I do not care a pinch of
Owl dung for anybody else's opinion,they can mind their own business. :x

Winslow :sunny:

Winslow":ap5x14ma said:
Anything I want to do is fine because I want to do it.I do not care a pinch of
Owl dung for anybody else's opinion,they can mind their own business. :x

Winslow :sunny:
You tell'm Steve!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for all the great advice with this guys i dont really know that much about the bible as i should i still just shake my head at what he said why a preacher would say some thing like that thanks agin

Sounds like the type who condemns picks and chooses which bits of scripture to read, and reads into it what he wants. Probably against the use of alcohol too, and conveniently ignores 1 Timothy 5:23 "take a little wine..." and of course the wine of the last supper.
You might get a chuckle out of this:
Charles Spurgeon was minster at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church , London, England.

While Mr. Spurgeon was living at Nightingale Lane, Clapham, an excursion was one day organised by one of the young men's classes at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church.
It was a beautiful early morning, and the men arrived in high spirits, pipes and cigars alight, and looking forward to a day of unrestrained enjoyment.
The Rev. Mr. Spurgeon was ready waiting at the gate. He jumped up to the box-seat reserved for him, and looking round with an expression of astonishment, exclaimed: "What, gentlemen! Are you not ashamed to be smoking so early?"

Here was a damper! Dismay was on every face. Pipes and cigars one by one failed and dropped out of sight.
When all had disappeared, out came Rev. Spurgeon's cigar-case. He lit up and smoked away serenely.
The men looked at him astonished. "I thought you said you objected to smoking, Mr. Spurgeon?" one ventured.
"Oh no, I did not say I objected. I asked if they were not ashamed, and it appears they were, for they have all put their pipes away."
Amid laughter the pipes reappeared, and with puffs of smoke the party went on merrily.
------
“For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, 'He hath a devil'.

The Son of Man is come eating and drinking; and ye say,
'Behold a glutonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!”

St. Luke 7:33-34

Al (in Canada) :joker: :joker:

I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon. How anyone can sit Sunday after Sunday in the same church for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 70 years or more and listen to this same 'sermon' either put forth as though everyone in the world is lost, or screamed at the top of the 'preacher's' voice and think that is christian or christ-like is beyond me.

Standing on the back of a 'sinner' does NOT get one closer to God.

One thief crucified with Jesus, recognized him as Lord and received his salvation ON a cross!

Come as you are ... :cheers:

kilted1":chcg5c8m said:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon.

I would say that he who is without sin should cast the stones, but it sounds like you father, you, and Jesus may have beaten me to it.

Dubbya":0r9zqa7i said:
kilted1":0r9zqa7i said:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon.

I would say that he who is without sin should cast the stones, but it sounds like you father, you, and Jesus may have beaten me to it.
Sorry Dubbya, after re-reading my original post I decided to ad a bit more to it. Indeed, he without sin cast the first stone! There is only ONE who had no sin, and complete obedience to the law never fulfilled Salvation ANYWAY!

kilted1":lw4wktbz said:
I've been a life-long Christian, I don't recall a time where I wasn't aware of God and his Son Jesus THE Christ. My Dad is a retired Methodist minister, so I had an 'advantage' there. What has always bothered me about many a 'christian' or 'christian church' has been this infantile fascination of 'everyone elses' sins'. I've been to at least a million of the exact same 'sermon' the 'shock 'n awe' approach to Christ, while all kinds of 'sin' exists outside the sermon. How anyone can sit Sunday after Sunday in the same church for 20, 30, 40, 50, 60. 70 years or more and listen to this same 'sermon' either put forth as though everyone in the world is lost, or screamed at the top of the 'preacher's' voice and think that is christian or christ-like is beyond me.

One thief crucified with Jesus, recognized him as Lord and received his salvation ON a cross!

As a wise minister told me when I "complained" about all the finger pointing in church, a church is not made up of perfect people, but of a group of people attempting perfection. And a lot of people feel their failure at being perfect, and somehow it makes them feel better to point out the short comings of others, hoping that everyone will be too busy to see their own failures.
Unfortunately not every minister is that wise. You'd even wonder if they read the same story we did.

Al (in Canada)
Brigham Balkan in a BBB bulldog

Dubbya":i6cb6nrr said:
"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen. My father he was orange and me mother she was green."
... Sounds like any day in Belfast :lol:

kilted1":3unrlwn1 said:
Dubbya":3unrlwn1 said:
"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen. My father he was orange and me mother she was green."
... Sounds like any day in Belfast :lol:
You got the movie (in your head), now here's the music:

"My father was an Ulster man, proud Protestant was he.
My mother was a Catholic girl. From county Cork was she.
They were married in two churches, lived happily enough,
Until the day that I was born. Then, things got rather tough.

"Oh, it is the biggest mix-up that you have ever seen.
My father, he was Orange and me mother, she was green."

For the entire lyrics go to:
http://www.lyricstime.com/irish-rovers-the-orange-and-the-green-lyrics.html

:twisted: :twisted:

Al in Canada":5kgpxfd2 said:
Charles Spurgeon was minster at the Metropolitan Tabernacle Church , London, England.
I'm a huge fan of Spurgeon. I have several volumes of his preaching in my library along with some other books on him or by him.