Is this what it feels like to hate America?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_In_Philly

Reaction score
Picking up on a back and forth in another thread that I didn't want to derail:

Simple Man":0ou7zp7b said:
kaiser83":0ou7zp7b said:
Simple Man":0ou7zp7b said:
Nice! I love the LOTR pipe... that is pretty cool. And I'm not even a fan of the book or movie.
Ouch...how does it feel to hate America? :lol:
So I have recently revisited a few book from my Junior High School days. Dune has held my interest thus far, but I have to admit, I didn't really care for the Hobbit. I realize that such an admission might require me to surrender my pipes to the proper authorities, but I just found it to be simple and rather boring. I remember being obsessed with it back then, but now I read it and I can't see what all the fuss is about. Sorry. (if there was a hang's head in shame emoticon, I would add it here)

"The Hobbit" is a preamble to "LOTR." Instead of a trilogy about an epic struggle of good and evil, it is about a grand adventure to hoodwink a dragon. You might say that it was Tolkien's warmup for the "LOTR" and a way to introduce the Ring.

If you're like me, you were probably a lot younger in junior high. In the mean time you have become a jaded man of the world unable to enjoy the simple pleasures. Becoming an adult sucks!
Merry Christmas!!!
john

the Hobbit is a bit happy for me sometimes. and, forgive me, but weak. Tolkien has a way of painting emotion with the other three books, and it builds as the story does. the Hobbit is a bit bull in that respect. i love it, because i'm a huge fan of the series as a whole, but the trilogy is where it's at. the same thing happens in the Harry Potter series. the first one is pretty good, 2 & 3 rushed, and the rest are just epic, but you need the other ones to get through it.

Thanks PB, I must confess that the title of this topic has confused me from the start, as in WTF has this to do with hating America. :lol:

Also the Hobbit was a book written for children, so its not surprising adults coming to it fresh might find it unsatisfying.

Still though.... I read and liked The Hobbit and The Lord Of The Rings trilogy and honestly even though like 73% of those books are the characters walking around, the pure skill and elegance of Tolkien's writing style makes his books more than just children's stories (not that there is anything wrong with children's stories)

I always thought Moorcock's Elric series was a series crafted for adults more so than the LOTR novels. Sadly, not many know of it. While it does take to some ramblings and is not the classic good prevails over evil, I found it to be much more humanistic in is character portrayals than Tolkien's stuff, and therefor relevant. Also the larger theme of the multi-verse is interesting on its own.

It always struck me as prime fodder for an animated graphic novel movie or, better yet, a full-blow Jackson megahit...maybe some day...

deepbass9":lodh47ji said:
I always thought Moorcock's Elric series was a series crafted for adults more so than the LOTR novels. Sadly, not many know of it. While it does take to some ramblings and is not the classic good prevails over evil, I found it to be much more humanistic in is character portrayals than Tolkien's stuff, and therefor relevant. Also the larger theme of the multi-verse is interesting on its own.

It always struck me as prime fodder for an animated graphic novel movie or, better yet, a full-blow Jackson megahit...maybe some day...
I revisited Moorcock's Elric and Corum series last year. I loved these back in the late 70s when I read them as an adolescent.

30+ years later they didn't hold up very well. The characters aren't fleshed out very well and there is an overall tone of petulant despondence from the main characters. Great stuff when you're 15, not so compelling as a grown man. David Gemmell's work, and Brent Weeks' Night Angel trilogy are much more interesting. Roger Zelazny's Amber series on the other hand held up great, and I really enjoyed revisiting it all these years later.

deepbass9":i9jzhbyv said:
I always thought Moorcock's Elric series was a series crafted for adults more so than the LOTR novels. Sadly, not many know of it. While it does take to some ramblings and is not the classic good prevails over evil, I found it to be much more humanistic in is character portrayals.
I just finished rereading all the Runestaff books, and started on the Elric series.
Haven't read these since jr. High, and so far, I'm really enjoying them, again.
I do recall the the Elric books being a bit more complex than the Hawkmoon quartet,
and back then, I had no idea that The Jewel in the Skull was dedicated to Dave Brock of Hawkwind. That alone is cool in my book!

I truly appreciate The Hobbit. I have to say, I never loved it as a kid, although I adored reading the LOTR trilogy.

I have been reading The Hobbit out loud at bedtime to my 6 & 8 year old daughters and this is where the strength of the story lies. Pure Magic. :D