Islay King?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
Laphroaig or Ardbeg? What say ye?

For me (sampling the ten year old versions, can't be shelling out for the Cask Strength or collectors bottlings) I'm torn between the two and it depends on which day you ask me. Laphroaig is huge. Mineral, medicinal, immensely aromatic when given a tiny splash of ice cold water (like maybe a teasoon), peat bomb unmatched by any other (although Ardbeg is damned close). When I want to be bowled over with an olfactory experience I grab Laphroaig. Ardbeg is a little less in your face but still menacing enough. Less mineral and medicinal, a little more refined but still big and peaty, more edge on the initial taste (almost peppery) but less aromatic than Laphroaig (hell, what else is that aromatic?). The finish seems longer with Ardbeg, but more unique with Laphroaig. Ardbeg is much more clear and clouds when you add cold water because of the filtration method, seems more craft-style, less design-manufactured. No caramel added, no concern over clarity, just hard core whiskey.

So far these are the only two Islay powerhouses I've sampled. There are others I'm interested in, but they're damned expensive (Lagavulin, Caol Ila).

Want to talk Islay huh?? I can sit down and talk hours about Islay single malts....... My introduction to Islay single malts was a good family friend steve who owns a bar here in fort wayne Indiana the same bar that served its first legal beer the day probition ended awesome bar.. any ways it was caol Ila 18 year old it was absolutely breath taking!! Then moved on from there ..... I love laphroaig and actually purchased a case when it went on sale at my local liquor store....

As far as moving on to others at a good price may i suggest
Bowmore... this is my 1st reccomendation this is perfect IMHO... just the right amount of smokey peat characteristics with that touch of iodine undertones....

Bruichladdich about the same price range as laphroaig but sometime you can find it cheaper... again another classic Islay scotch that great for the price!!

Ive been drinking Islay scotches for 5 years now and havnt found one I havnt liked, but please do keep an open mind when tasting them as well as keep in mind that these are superbly crafted and unfortunately we cant pick up for $25-30 a bottle, though i wish!!

If you however, feel the need to indulge on yourself I HIGHLY reccomend Port Charlotte, this Islay single malt is no longer produced and collectors gobble up these bottles!!! thought sometimes you might find a deal on one and when i say deal for me dropping $160-210 a bottle to me this is a deal... ive seen port charlotte bottles certain makes and vintages go as high as $5k

hope this might help you some in voyaging in you Islay selections
cheers
Mike

Mike, are you speaking of standard 10 or 12 year old releases of Bowmore and Bruichladdich, or is it older stuff or special bottlings? I can find Laphroaig 10 year at Trader Joes for a tick over $30, cheaper than the one chain liquor store in town that actually stocks good scotch. But, that's about it for Trader Joes, they don't stock much. The Chain store (Bevmo) has a lot, but a lot of it is pretty steep. Not much in the $30 range, most of the interesting stuff runs $65-$100, so I'm not likely to be buyin it.

Oh, and at the last pipe club a gentleman was very kind to bring a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask and offer a glass. It was quite impressive, but sadly was near $70 :cry:

Puff Daddy":2kxrtqfg said:
Mike, are you speaking of standard 10 or 12 year old releases of Bowmore and Bruichladdich, or is it older stuff or special bottlings? I can find Laphroaig 10 year at Trader Joes for a tick over $30, cheaper than the one chain liquor store in town that actually stocks good scotch. But, that's about it for Trader Joes, they don't stock much. The Chain store (Bevmo) has a lot, but a lot of it is pretty steep. Not much in the $30 range, most of the interesting stuff runs $65-$100, so I'm not likely to be buyin it.
Yes i am referring to the standard 10/12 year old bottlings there are even a couple of smaller distillery names that have 8 year old offerings for under $40 a bottle Ill have to go back and find the names... Much of the scotch I buy are 12/18 year old single malts I have indulged in some 25 30 year old malts that are quite amazing and mind blowing but also tasted 25 year old malts that really didnt outshine anything 13 years younger...

Between Laphroaig and Ardbeg, it's almost a toss up for me. They both taste great, but Ardbeg is more complex.
However, the fact that the 10 yr old Laphroaig is about $20 less than the 10 yr old Ardbeg is hard to ignore.
Ardbeg's packaging is also a bit more "deluxe".
Disclaimer: I'm enjoying some Laphroaig as I type...

Hey PD, next time you're down south, you have a standing invite to come over and have some Lagavulin or Caol Ila in Pasadena.

I'd love to take you up on that some Day Harlock! :D

You know it's funny about southern California (or funny about me, most likely). We came up north to get away from the mass that is LA, but it didn't take long before you could hardly tell the difference between here and there,except that the weather is nicer there. The wife and I are actually considering moving back there in a few years when I retire. San Diego if we can.

Some great news via Facebook from Islay on April 1!

6889379224_617ba5db3b.jpg

(I do love a Scotch with a sense of humour...)

Puff Daddy":ziigh9qr said:
I'd love to take you up on that some Day Harlock! :D

You know it's funny about southern California (or funny about me, most likely). We came up north to get away from the mass that is LA, but it didn't take long before you could hardly tell the difference between here and there,except that the weather is nicer there. The wife and I are actually considering moving back there in a few years when I retire. San Diego if we can.
Anytime!
There's a place down the street that stocks some really good stuff, even the bottles that only G.L Pease can afford... 8)
I can understand wanting to get out of LA! It's a rare day when I haven't felt like that myself.
San Diego is great, and I also like the Ventura/Camarillo area as well.

Doc Manhattan":hfq5a1ds said:
Some great news via Facebook from Islay on April 1!

6889379224_617ba5db3b.jpg

(I do love a Scotch with a sense of humour...)

HAHAH!! I love it. I almost had a heart attack as I looked at the pic before I read that it was an April fools Day joke. I, personally, love LaPhaoig. It is my favorite drink. I have 6 bottles right now including a couple 10s a 15 a couple Quater casks and a 25.

As a whiskey related note though I would like to add that the other night I tried RedBreast ( an irish) for the first time. what a great daily drinker in and of itself. (yeah yeah I know it aint Islay, closer to a much more complex Dewers as it were but still. Just a note)

Puff Daddy":ly9rioxi said:
So far these are the only two Islay powerhouses I've sampled. There are others I'm interested in, but they're damned expensive (Lagavulin, Caol Ila).
Well, I couldn't resist putting these to a test, and my analysis?
Caol Ila is a fine drink, but not quite in the same class as Lagavulin.
In short, the Lagavulin is drier, smoother and more refined. The Ila, oilier or more buttery, and peatier.
I certainly would not refuse a glass of either. And of course the Lagavulin is a 16 yr old, as opposed to the 12 year old Caol Ila...

So comparing Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg, how would you rank them?

Another that I'd ike to try is Bruichladdich's Laddie 10, sounds like a very interesting whisky, and story as well.

Puff Daddy":z4411bhd said:
So comparing Caol Ila, Lagavulin, Laphroaig and Ardbeg, how would you rank them?

Another that I'd ike to try is Bruichladdich's Laddie 10, sounds like a very interesting whisky, and story as well.
Well, I'm a little hung over(!), but I think I would want my cabinet stocked in this order:
1.) Lagavulin 16
2.) Laphraoig 10
3.) Ardbeg 10
4.) Caol Ila 12

There's just something special about the Lagavulin, and it's the least like the others. Laphraoig gets the nod over the equally enjoyable Ardbeg because of the price. Both of those do the peat thing very nicely. Caol Ila is a close 4th... :drunken:

Interesting Harlock. I saw the Lag 16 when I grabbed my bottle of Ardbeg but it was really pricey, about $70. Might keep a lookout for the 12 but not so sure it'll be any cheaper. I'll most likely have to tuck that idea way until later this summer.

Rob, you're a sick bastard! :lol:

Found this interesting flavour profile map

http://www.lfw.co.uk/diageo/flavourmap.html

According to this the Lagavulin might be better to you and different from the other two Islay Peat Muthas because it's richer rather than lighter, although I'd personally have a tough time calling Laphroaig and Ardbeg light :drunken:

You know I saw that flavor map a while back, and based on Clynelish being the closest to the center, I was curious and decided to try it, and I didn't like it. Very bitter, and not much else to recommend it.
I think I would put Caol Ila a little closer to the rich spectrum based on it's comparison it to Lagavulin.
Talisker 10 is one I REALLY liked, and I would say it needs to be placed much closer to the rich fruity side.

As a side note, I always add a small ice cube, so that may be coloring my experience with these malts...