It’s been awhile....like about 10 years...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yarnspinner68

Reaction score
I don’t expect too many to remember me from way back when, but be that as it may I’ve found that pipe smokers can start a friendship over a bowl and continue it for many many years between contact. We share of love of fine tobacco and craftsmanship and that can be enough.

I took up the pipe as a method of nostalgia for my grandfather. Grandpa passed away when I was about ten and he always had a pipe going. He smoked Dr. Grabows and once a Petersen that was gifted to him. Rum & Maple was his blend of choice but he wouldn’t turn his nose up to Paladin or any of the other common drug store tobaccos of the time. He would also buy twist chewing tobacco and, after finishing his chew, would set it on top of whatever fence post was handy. A few days in the sun to dry out and he’d put it into his tobacco pouch with whatever was in there “to stretch it out.”

I bought my first pipe (Dr Grabow) when I was 21 along with a pouch of Paladin. Between you the occasional Rum & Maple (when I could find it) and the everpresent cherry blends, I tasted the occasional higher end pipe tobacco and enjoyed it. That lead me to tryin cigars and JR Cigars after moving to North Carolina. The first exposure to pipes and cigars I had on the internet was through the JR Cigars forum.

The epic battles between the “herfer” and the “stokers” on that board lead me and a few others to break away and form Stokers’ Haven in Yahoo groups. Man! Those were some good times! I don’t know about anyone else, but I know I learned a lot about pipes and tobaccos there...as well as a lot about myself. I also got to know some fantastic people. Sometime around 2005 or 2006 I got a promotion at work that ended up taking up a LOT of my time and I turned Stokers’ Haven over to one of the other members there (I honestly can’t remember who) and took a hiatus from online forums.

Work continued and grew more complicated. I got better at it and took on more responsibilities. Lovely Wife’s career developed and we ended up moving to where we are now at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia just south of Roanoke. I smoked more cigars than pipes for convenience sake, but still kept pipes around and smoked them from time to time.

I’m still in the same position at work, but ten years has evolved it into something more manageable. We live on a sizable piece of land in the country where I am actively planting fruit trees and vegetable because it’s what I enjoy and I want to be as self sufficient as possible by the time I retire in 20-25 years. I am a licensed ham radio operator and now have room to put up antennas so I can indulge that interest as well. And...I still smoke my pipes. The good thing about switching mostly to cigars for all those years is that my pipe tobacco stash has aged nicely while it waits on me to get back to it.

I look forward to meeting the new people in the community here and reacquainting myself with those with more history. Thanks to those who have continued the legacy of providing a place for us “stokers” to gather.

Bryant/Yarnspinner68
Franklin County, VA

Pipe, beard, pipe in mouth. Yeah, I recognize you. :lol!:

Sounds like an ideal situation and Welcome back. Let us know when you get the antennas up.

KC7HKU

arkansaspiper":7j5gwcc0 said:
nice to meet you.  And welcome back.
Thank you! Love your avatar pic—that’s exactly what the salt blocks are for back behind the field. :rendeer:

loneredtree":wzvi6wfd said:
Pipe, beard, pipe in mouth. Yeah, I recognize you. :lol!:

Sounds like an ideal situation and Welcome back. Let us know when you get the antennas up.

KC7HKU
Thanks! VHF/UHF antenna is installed in the third floor attic. That gives me repeater access out to about 50-60 miles...farther lately with tropospheric ducting—sometimes clear out to 100-120 miles.

Currently digging a trench for feedlines to the shack for my HF rig. Gap phased antenna covering 160m - 10m will go up on a pole (20-30’) in the back yard. Will let you know when it’s up.

N4TYR

Welcome back and looking forward to reading your posts. Hope you hang here for a long time!!

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Pleased to make your acquaintance Bryant. Sounds like you've been around the block a few times. Always good to see a fellow piper return to the folds. Did that myself actually, after being beguiled with the cigar thing for too many years.

Great group of folks here. So pull up a chair, take your shoes off, set a spell. Y'all come back now, y'hear?

:D

Cheers,

RR

Welcome to BOB Bryant.

I look forward to reading your posts.

I have been through the same sort of job pressures which took me away from the pipe for a couple of years. Smoked plenty of cigars as they are more convenient in company. Also use snus and snuff and getting back into my pipe. Luckily where I work, it is perfectly acceptable to smoke at my desk!

I am on a couple of forums but BOB is certainly my go to choice, full of interesting and friendly folk.

Cheers. Ox (Brenden)

Welcome back to the fold, Yarnspinner. Don't I remember you from the late, lamented Knox Cigar Forum?

Thanks for the welcomes!

I don’t think I was ever on the Knox Cigar forum unless it was just in passing. I was on the JR Cigar forums before moving on to Stokers’ Haven.

Well, on behalf of the Blighty contingent (if I may be so bold), welcome back Bryant!

Blue Ridge Mountains. Now that's a name that's captured my imagine since I was a nipper.

Stick":j1lvt2ot said:
Well, on behalf of the Blighty contingent (if I may be so bold), welcome back Bryant!

Blue Ridge Mountains.  Now that's a name that's captured my imagine since I was a nipper.
I am kind of fond of them. :) We're getting to my favorite time of year for the mountains--the leaves are just starting to change and the cooler temps in the forecast promise some nice color this year.

Yarnspinner68":b088065m said:
Thanks for the welcomes!  

I don’t think I was ever on the Knox Cigar forum unless it was just in passing. I was on the JR Cigar forums before moving on to Stokers’ Haven.
I was also on the JR board back around '01 or so, just months before it imploded. Guess that's where I learned about chat forums.

I migrated to Herfers Paradise where I remained until '10/'11 or so. Joined up at CF and CW, and one other board but they didn't catch with me. Wasn't aware of Stoker's Haven. But back then my attention was seegar focused!

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":fdygm07n said:
Yarnspinner68":fdygm07n said:
Thanks for the welcomes!  

I was also on the JR board back around '01 or so, just months before it imploded. Guess that's where I learned about chat forums.

I migrated to Herfers Paradise where I remained until '10/'11 or so. Joined up at CF and CW, and one other board but they didn't catch with me. Wasn't aware of Stoker's Haven. But back then my attention was seegar focused!

Cheers,

RR
Considering how we set it up and if you were Cigar focused at the time, I’m not surprised. The pipe board at JR forum was frequently “invaded” by a few of the militant cigar smokers and stir up a bunch of crap. That was the biggest motivator for setting up Stokers Haven. We never made an announcement of it and relied upon private messages and emails to spread the word.