It blew my head off - and then I loved it!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarterHallJunkie

Reaction score
Found this over the weekend:

It's from Altadis U.S.A. which is one of the largest distributors of tobacco worldwide. I didn't know that then and just saw it as a cheap way to try an English blend. I have since found their website http://altadispipe.com/auth and learned a bit more about them.

Anyone else more any of their stuff?

This was my first shot at this type of blend - Red Virginia, Turkish, Burley, Latakia and Perique. I didn't know what to expect - only that it looked and sounded very much like Cornell & Diehl's Bow Legged Bear http://www.4noggins.com/cornellanddiehlbowleggedbear2oz.aspx - which I admit sounded a bit scary!

I tried it in a very old London made no name of my deceased father-in-law - and thought my head was going to blow off! Very spicy, full bodied and strong. My mouth, brain and senses were on fire. I wasn't sure if I would ever open the pouch again.

The next morning I relented and packed it in my Aldo Velani Octagon and fired it up.

Now the spicy was still there, but somehow it had a creamy taste as well. One that I found quite enjoyable.

Since Saturday I have smoked three more bowls (all in the Velani) and now I absolutely love this tobacco!

Surprising how a different pipe can render a whole new (and better) smoking experience.

Thoughts?

I have a bit of this. My first taste of latakia was Altadis' Heavy English blend. It got me hooked, but a quality English (GLP, Dunhill, etc.) will be noticeably better once your tastes mature.

Fox & Hound.
It has been five or six years since I last visited the blend.
I remember it as being the best of what Altadis offered at the time, a mild but tasty English.
It wasn't a bad blend by anymeans. It's far from great but it will do.
Kinda like a chain resturants version of a perfectly cooked steak.
I don't actively persue it but I wouldn't turn a bowl down.

Thanks Nightrider,

It was a good introduction for what an English would be - the result is that I now want to try a "good" one.

Personal recommendation? (I always like to see what different folks recommend)

Two I would recommend:
Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
GL Pease Westminster

One that may or may not work would be Dunhill London Mixture
(I haven't tried the new iteration, but if it is anything like the old it is superb.

I will add this though. If Fox & Hound is readily available locally at a decent price there would be nothing wrong with making it your go to smoke.
We all have different price points we are comfortable with and we assuredly have various taste that appeal to our souls.

I have seen several people mention Squadron Leader and a few Westminster.

I'm thinking I will have to place an order soon at 4noggins or Mars.

Appreciate the recommendation!