It is both a sad and happy day in the Pipe World!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herbinedave

Reaction score
I receieved this email from Rad Davis earlier today:
Hi Dave,

After much thought over the past few months, I have decided that it's time for me to retire from pipe making and relax.
I don't make this decision lightly, but since late November when I took a few weeks off, fully intending to get back to work “soon”, I find myself unable to get enthused about doing so. So, rather than make a bunch of pipes with half-hearted effort, I am going to relax and enjoy the rest of my life.
I know this will disappoint those of you who have commissions on order with me, but I don't want anyone to own a pipe of mine that I didn't enjoy making.
I'm not selling any equipment or supplies, and I may again make some pipes in the future. Just not anytime soon.
I truly appreciate the support my customers have shown for my work over the past 11 years. It has been a joy for me.
All the Best,
Rad

Say it ain't so!

:no:

Best wishes to Rad in any event. He's earned his retirement but will be missed as a fine craftsman of first rate pipes. I count myself luck to own one of his pieces.

Cheers,

RR

I am happy to hear that Rad is alive and well.

Shame to see him stop but, if his hearts not in it anymore I reckon it's best. :(

Glad to hear that he's feeling better and plans on taking the time to enjoy himself. I am sorry to see such a wonderful craftsman hang up his tools though. Maybe someday he will hear the pipes calling him back. Till then enjoy yourself Rad, you've certainly earned it.

Jim

The good news is, the value of Rad's pipes just went up! Too bad I don't have a half dozen in my collection, but there are always estates.

I'm happy for him!!

A man that knows when to call it quits instead of just phoning it in gets major respect points from me. Plus he deserves it, no one should have to work until their dying day.

Go smoke and fish bro, the happiness you've brought to the pipe smoking world will continue for decades and decades.

puros_bran":u47nx466 said:
A man that knows when to call it quits instead of just phoning it in gets major respect points from me.  
I was talking to the retired bishop once and explaining my decision to leave the classroom after 32 years. I told him about the people I had seen who stayed for 40 and their heart was just not there for the last few. I said I did not want to be that person. I wanted to go out at the top of my game. He said he could identify.

I definitely respect this decision.

puros_bran":lsb3qu2d said:
 I'm happy for him!!

A man that knows when to call it quits instead of just phoning it in gets major respect points from me.  Plus he deserves it, no one should have to work until their dying day.  

Go smoke and fish bro, the happiness you've brought to the pipe smoking world will continue for decades and decades.
Ditto. And very well put.

well really, this is sad for us but probably a good thing for rad. that`s what is important. bill

I don't know the chap but do know his work is highly thought of. I'm pleased he has chosen a path that is right for him.
Good luck Rad!