It's been a hundred years

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Al in Canada

Reaction score
Just a brief note, a belated one, commemorating the 100th anniversary of the death of one of the more famous pipe men of America, Samuel Clemens/ Mark Twain.

His death was April 21st, 1910.

A pipe and cigar man he made no bones about being a smoker, and there are a number of notable quotes, including one of my faves:

"As an example to others, and not that I care for moderation myself, it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep, and never to refrain from smoking when awake. "

A bowl in honor to the great wit of Mark Twain.

Al (in Canada)

Indeed Al..... a bowl in celebration!!!!

"God made man but only for practice, then he created the Artist" - Mark Twain.

phrozenfearz":2kpra7uo said:
I will light a bowl in Mark Twain's name! (Although a bit belatedly now..)
I was all prepared to add my "ditto" to another's posting, only to find that this had somehow slipped by everyone's attention.

I doubt that Sam will mind the timing of our remembrance, and be somewhat surprised by us remembering at all. And given his well known spiritual attitudes (namely he was an atheist), if he actually is aware of our remembrance he will be quite surprised. :joker:

Al (in Canada)

I have never seen what to me seemed an atom of truth that there is a future life...and yet--I am strongly inclined to expect one. Mark Twain in his Autobiography