Quantcast

It's Cherry season!

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

Brewdude

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Council Member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
15
The Cherries are finally in season here in the Pac NW. Roadside stands are now flush with the Bing and Rainier varieties. I love them both, and recently read that this year's crop is some of the best in years. Size is larger, and sugar content is also up significantly. I prefer buying them from the roadside stands since the price is better as well as the freshness as they've been picked just the day before, or even that morning!

Just got in a quart of each. Think the Rainier's are my favorite-



But the Bings are no slouch-



The season lasts for only a few weeks around here, so I get them when they're fresh.

 :geek: 


Cheers,

RR
 

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Joined
Dec 15, 2011
Messages
5,278
Reaction score
5
Location
TEXAS
Brewdude":zrngxh3k said:
The Cherries are finally in season here in the Pac NW. Roadside stands are now flush with the Bing and Rainier varieties. I love them both, and recently read that this year's crop is some of the best in years. Size is larger, and sugar content is also up significantly. I prefer buying them from the roadside stands since the price is better as well as the freshness as they've been picked just the day before, or even that morning!
Just got in a quart of each. Think the Rainier's are my favorite-
But the Bings are no slouch-
The season lasts for only a few weeks around here, so I get them when they're fresh.

 :geek: 


Cheers,

RR
While Cherries are grand I like and remember picking Black and I think Raspberries along the rail road tracks when I was just a young'en when we would visit my Aunt Hattie in Oregon. After picking, our bellies were always fuller then the buckets.
 

monbla256

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2012
Messages
8,704
Reaction score
0
My daughter and her children live up your way and she's told me about her three Rainier Cherry trees on their property. She says they are getting a bumper crop this year and are especially sweet.  :p 'Fraid they wouldn't do well down here especially with our drought!!  :twisted:  The prickly pear cactus are doing great though down here  this year !! :twisted: :twisted:
 

scotties22

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 10, 2012
Messages
904
Reaction score
0
My mom lives in Central Oregon and is going cherry picking this weekend. We got out Harry & David fruit of the month two days ago....you guessed it, it was cherries. They lasted an hour  :D 
 

J Soshae

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 19, 2011
Messages
569
Reaction score
0
We consumed 4lbs of the cherries while we were in WA. At the moment we have Rainier cherries available here in Alabama. We have eaten 2 more pounds since returning home.

While at Pike Place Market, I insisted my daughter-in-law try some fresh cherries. She is as stubborn as I am and insisted she did not like cherries. I talked her into trying just one bite. All she had ever had in the past was maraschino cherries.

She is now hooked on fresh Washington State cherries.

 
A

Anonymous

Guest
Shortly after reading this thread today I went shopping and lo and behold, US cherries. Being in the correct hemisphere, local cherries are only available at Christmas.

If only my tobacco could get here that fast.
 

WarlockBob

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 30, 2012
Messages
864
Reaction score
3
Are you going to make any brews with them? That would be pretty awesome I would expect... :)
 

DrumsAndBeer

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 4, 2012
Messages
6,594
Reaction score
1
The bings around here are crazy delicious, the Rainiers being trucked in not so much.

Cherries are very much a "close to the source" fruit. I didn't think Raineirs could be so good until I visited a friend of mine up in Tenino several summers ago. Lucky you, Brewdude..  :D 

I grew up near Olsen's fruit stand and cherry orchard in Sunnyvale CA. Their bing cherries were so flavorful as were their black tartarians.
 

Brewdude

Moderator
Staff member
Moderator
Council Member
Joined
May 4, 2011
Messages
12,747
Reaction score
15
J Soshae":gtd5pisl said:
We consumed 4lbs of the cherries while we were in WA. At the moment we have Rainier cherries available here in Alabama. We have eaten 2 more pounds since returning home.

While at Pike Place Market, I insisted my daughter-in-law try some fresh cherries. She is as stubborn as I am and insisted she did not like cherries. I talked her into trying just one bite. All she had ever had in the past was maraschino cherries.

She is now hooked on fresh Washington State cherries.
Well then, there ya go!

 :D 

WarlockBob":gtd5pisl said:
Are you going to make any brews with them? That would be pretty awesome I would expect...
Great idea, but no. Not at this time.

DrumsAndBeer":gtd5pisl said:
The bings around here are crazy delicious, the Rainiers being trucked in not so much.

Cherries are very much a "close to the source" fruit. I didn't think Raineirs could be so good until I visited a friend of mine up in Tenino several summers ago. Lucky you, Brewdude..  

I grew up near Olsen's fruit stand and cherry orchard in Sunnyvale CA. Their bing cherries were so flavorful as were their black tartarians.
Agree, close to the source seems to be the salient point with regards to Rainiers. Including and especially as they seem to be more prone to bruising and spoilage than the Bings are.



Cheers,

RR
 

gravel

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 7, 2011
Messages
2,343
Reaction score
0
I love cherry season. I'll stop by a fruit stand and buy some Raniers and Bings for lunch.

Not to be outdone, Mt Hood Strawberries are crazy good with a small season. I'm not a strawberry guy, but I love those.
 

pepesdad1

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2013
Messages
2,534
Reaction score
2
That's what I miss the most about living in Seattle.  Fruit galore...and the seafood, nothing can compare, especially the oysters.
 
Top