It's like smoking scotch.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puff Daddy

Reaction score
I had my schnozz buried deep in the jar, breathing in the rich, smokey sweet aroma. Silky, toasted and slightly sugared, the aroma carried me into an olfactory out of body voyage to open oak casks of barley brew on an Islay seashore. Only I'd never been to Islay and I wasn't smelling scotch, I was in California and I had my face buried in a mason jar filled with Stokkebye English Oriental Supreme tobacco. But, I made that connection, I recognized the archetypal smellification, I'd known it before. Looking over at my bookshelf I spotted the familiar vessel that had recently provided me that same experience, A bottle of Finlaggin single malt Scotch, a peaty smoke bomb reputed to be 6 year old Lagavulin. I poped the cork from the bottle and breathed deeply, there it was. Barley sugar, peat smoke, dusty but clean, smokey but sweet. Same sensations coming from both glass vessels. I kept moving my sniffer back and forth between the two, they were brothers, they bore the same resemblance.

So off I go to the patio with the pair, a Glencairn glass with three fingers of the peaty elixir and a small Irish rhodesian stuffed with the smokey leaf. On the palate the whiskey presents instant smoke and ample barley sugar, it's presence is clean and it lingers in a friendly manner. The tobacco is said to contain a Mexican burley along side a less dominant Virginia base and a portion of latakia that is a bit subdued, all rounded out by a smoothing dose of black cavendish. As with the liquid, the smoke from the pipe is dusty and sweet, smooth, smokey but not intrusive. Brothers indeed.

I almost didn't try either of these because I feared they would be cheap knock offs of the real thing. Cheap they are, in price, but not in quality. Bargains is what they are. The bottle set me back only $18, a true deal for a single malt, a steal for something this damned good! The tobacco, under $30 dollars a pound. Unheard of, a smoke this good at that price. It's cousin, Balkan Supreme, gets all the attention. I'd say this English Oriental is the finer of the two. Yes, a little more tame, less in your face, a bit sweeter, but so much more enjoyable.

Does the tobacco taste like scotch? No. Don't run out and buy it thinking it tastes like whiskey. But, it shares certain qualities with a dusty sweet smokey single malt. It's absolutely worth your attention if such things please you.

I like the connection you've drawn in the olfactory similarities of the two different products.

Both are two trick ponies, which is fine by me. Finlaggin is peat smoke and barley sugar, not much more going on, but it's very good. Stokkebye EOS tastes of dusty, slightly sweet burleyweed and latakia, not much more, but it's very good. If you've ever tried the Peretti American English blends where they use a good deal of burley, then you know of what I speak. The latakia Stokkebye uses is different than what Peretti uses, it's better, less coarse tasting, more incense-like.

I do like the Stokkebye tobaccos that I have tried, I will try some next time I order tobacco. The Whisky, I will look at the local liquor store and see if I can find some, I am always up to try a new Scotch. I am a simple dude, so they sound right up my alley. Thanks for the heads up!

I get my Finlaggin at Trader Joes, not sure if there's one up your way but they're pretty prevalent on the west coast.

I never aquired a taste for Scotch and I can't stand anything with Latakia but while reading your excellent review I was beset by an old craving. I reached for my ever present iced tea and relit the Golden Gate Poker filled with OGS that had been resting on the table beside my chair. Funny how an old craving can be satisfied with some good iced tea and a primo tobacco. Thanks for sharing Jim :) 

AJ

i have only ahd one Stokkebye baccy at least i think it was a Stokkebye it was called cherry bon bon and was very nice on the taste buds. yeah i only smoke aromatics, but i have tried allot of them and know what i like and that my friends is a gold mine when you find that one baccy you fall in love with.

Peat = Latakia, for the most part.

I once thought Laphroaig would pair up nicely with a nice bowl of something Latakia-y.

They kind of cancelled each other out, which seemed obvious later.

Is this even about tobacco, this thread? :lol: :fpalm: ----------> :afro:

8)

Wasn't this your review on TR ?
I think you were smitten even back then........:p 
Puff Daddy on Tobacco Reviews.Com":ujga7ax5 said:
PD: "There are times when I love a strong English, with its strength of Latakia. And, there are times when I like a lighter English, or an English/Oriental blend like EMP. This blend, for me, is simply marvelous. I can't get enough of this. Smooth, rich, refined, and fairly complex. The Orientals take precedence over the Cyprian Latakia, but every leaf in the blend seems of high quality, and as it's a Stokkebye blend, it's extremely well done. I would give this to any newer piper for their introduction into Latakias. I have recommended it to seasoned vets. It's simply an all day blend for a lover of Orientals and Latakia. Never gives me the dreaded dry mouth effect, either. The Burley and Black Cav just smooth things out to a remarkable degree. Wonderful blend, and reasonable!"  

Nope, that's not me. Another guy started doing reviews on TR under the name Puff Daddy before I came along. If you look at the profile for Puff Daddy on TR it's a guy named William Park.

Thanks for the excellent review. I'm going to have to look for both of these. I do enjoy a good scotch on occasion and the price sounds right up my alley.