It's Official, I have moved on from cigars...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bentbulldog

Reaction score
I have always had an interest in pipes, since I was a young lad having philosophical conversations with my pipe smoking neighbors.

In my late teens, early twenties I jumped onto the cig scene, but fortunately got off before I really got on, pipes were there but in the background.

A few years ago I finally tried the higher end cigars (Padron, Fuente, Davidoff, etc...) I enjoyed it somewhat but it still didn't sit right with me.

At dinner today, I took a break from my pipes and had an Alec Bradley Prensado. I finished it to the last inch, but I had to force it and the whole time I was telling myself "This doesn't come anywhere close to my pipes"

To each his own, but I think I've finally reached that point where no longer even want cigars. (I gave the remaining 8 sticks I had to my friend)

I came home and just started "playing" with my briars

I think I have finally moved on...I am a Brother of the Briar!

bentbulldog":qz8tex9a said:
I think I have finally moved on...I am a Brother of the Briar!
Now that right there is a beautiful thing. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

We were in a Hookah bar too, and I was indifferent towards it, even as my friend got "the most awesomest shishah" in the area.

I'm perfectly fine with my pipe tobacco!
LOL

I hear you. Last time I was at a hookah bar with friends I spent the entirety of that evening wishing I could be smoking my pipe! Also beats a fine cigar every time!

I was a cigar-o-holic for something like 16 odd years. Went OTT on collecting (and smoking). Too much to even talk or think about!! Embarrassing actually, in some ways.

:x

Returned to the pipe some 4 yrs ago and never looked back. Sold off virtually all my cigars for pennies on the dollar.

C'est la vie........

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

I also discovered pipes four years ago and have smoked exactly one cigar since picking up the pipe (my last!). I'm so picky about my stem buttons, sticking a big, soggy cigar in my mouth almost feels obscene. I think that I only smoked half of that last cigar before giving up.

Brewdude":j0kvbm9o said:
I was a cigar-o-holic for something like 16 odd years. Went OTT on collecting (and smoking). Too much to even talk or think about!! Embarrassing actually, in some ways.

:x

Returned to the pipe some 4 yrs ago and never looked back. Sold off virtually all my cigars for pennies on the dollar.

C'est la vie........

:joker:

Cheers,

RR

I'll never give up cigars, but pipes are dominant in my smoking repertoire by a long shot. I smoke about three premium stogies a month, hardly enough to break the bank or bring up any other consideration. That's not counting a small leather case I carry when out and about stuffed with Garcia Vega Miniatures, kind of a back-up nicotine supply that rarely gets used. Makes me feel "safe" when out in the cruel world.

The thing about cigars is that they don't satisfy me quite as well as a pipe. I often want a pipe after smoking a cigar, but I have never wanted a cigar after smoking a pipe. Others' tastes may differ. But there are occasions when only a cigar will do. One of them is watching a movie. I don't know why, but a big fat cigar is required for this rare event. (Rare because today's movies suck.) Anyhow, they have a place in my nicotinic existence and always will.

I alternate between my pipes and cigars. I enjoy both but I do believe the taste of pipe tobacco is far superior to cigar tobacco. But each one has a place and time for me.

At the PRICE of most GOOD cigars these days, I don't see how ANYONE can smoke 'em ! I enjoyed smoking cigars back in the late '70s rspecially those made by La Gloria Cubana by Ernesto when his factory was in FL. I could get a box of La Glorias for around $30.00 back then and now they are made by someone else in Nicaragua and sell in the $100+ dollar /box range !! We may think pipe 'baccy is expensive but it's CHHEAPER per smoke than any good Cigar IMHO :twisted: :twisted:

Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence.... I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.

I turned to pipes for two reasons... 1 because cigars cost to much to smoke 2-3 times per day... B. Because pops did it.

puros_bran":sih87o8u said:
Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence....  I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.    

I turned to pipes for two reasons... 1 because cigars cost to much to smoke 2-3 times per day... B. Because pops did it.
\

Glad to meet a cheap son of a bitch with the same viewpoint ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ne1bo1st said:
puros_bran":ne1bo1st said:
Yeah but that $30 in the 70's was more money than $100 now. You're just a cheap bastard caught in price point rememberence....  I know because I suffer the same, albeit at a much higher price point remembrence.    

\

Glad to meet a cheap son of a bitch with the same viewpoint ! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
This is nice! :lol: :lol:

95% of what I smoke is pipe tobacco...the rest are cigars smoked out by the pool in the summer (a pretty short season in Cleveland).  Snuff is for whenever I'm not in a position to smoke.

I'm sure I could eliminate the cigars in favor of pipes/snuff, but I don't really want to. Sometimes, especially when it's hot out, a good stick just hits the spot.