I've come to a realization...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beardedbassguy

Reaction score
Over the last several months, I have come to a realization...

I'm an aromatic only smoker. And I'm not ashamed of that fact. I have tried some really nice VA'sand VaPer's. They aren't BAD. I just get more enjoyment out of a nice flavored aromatic, and the smell is usually way better.

I'm currently going through my extensive stash to find a nice rotation of tobaccos I really enjoy, and then I'm going to stockpile those. many people have told me repeatedly that Boswell's makes some of the best aros. I need to try to get some of those ordered, but I want to go through my current stash first.

Anyway, nothing really important was said in this thread, just a personal revelation :cheers:

Nuthin' wrong with that. So...ya' got anything cool in sealed tins ya' wanna dump?  :pig:

Richard Burley":mrmarfj0 said:
Nuthin' wrong with that. So...ya' got anything cool in sealed tins ya' wanna dump?  :pig:
Haha, maybe :) the majority my stuff is in jars though.

Thomas Tkach":wzlbdodk said:
Have you tried lakelands?
I haven't. I've heard so many mixed reviews on them I haven't made the leap to try them. I may be brave some day though

Glad to see you have found your niche. Much easier on the pocketbook when you can concentrate on a small range of favorites.

If I were you, I'd hang on to some of those VAs and VAPers just in case. Most people's tastes change over time and with proper storage those VA blends will only get smoother and sweeter as they age.

When I first started pipes, I sold many of my cigars to fund my purchases as I thought I'd found my niche with pipe blends. I was wrong as I soon found myself bouncing back and forth between pipes and cigars every few years. You may also find you want to change things up on occasion.

tslots":5fw6s935 said:
If I were you, I'd hang on to some of those VAs and VAPers just in case.   Most people's tastes change over time and with proper storage those VA blends will only get smoother and sweeter as they age.
Sound advice..:)

BBG, whatever floats your boat is what matters most. Nothing wrong with aromatics. After all, they tend to attract many pipers to pipe smoking. I went through a long period where I couldn't enjoy aromatics, then just like tslots mentioned, I all the sudden found my stride with a variety aromatic blends, as well as several burley mixtures. Prior to that I only smoked latakias & Virginias. Recently, aside from an occasional bowl here and there, I have lost my taste for latakia. So yes, keep those VA's. They only tend to get better with age and your tastes will likely change. ;)

As above BBG; you're not accountable to anyone for your choice of 'baccy. I started with aros and through experimentation have come to enjoy Vas and VaPers. Despite this I still really enjoy an aro. No harm in that, it's what I enjoy!

Sounds good to me. I'm not traditionally an aromatic smoker but I'm trying to delve into that world recently. I'd love to see some more unabashed aromatic discussion. Let's do it.

Wait.. We have to ban him now. We only accept the upper crust here...

As far as 'the lakelands' go.. Gawith Hoggarth & Co and Samuel Gawith have been making high quality aromatics for a really long time. Ignore the nonsense and make your own decisions...

I'll smoke almost any of the Gawith's stuff. There have been a couple that I wasn't very fond of but it was high quality and easy enough to stash away and/or trade off.

I don't like American or Dansih style Aromatics much. I'll smoke Uhles/Peretti honeyed/maple syrup/etc Virginia or burley but that's about it. When it gets to 'Christmas cookie' or whatnot I'll pass. I don't 'hate' the others but it just always seems the tobaccos used aren't very good and first and foremost a pipe is about tobacco.

Anyway, this is just a long winded way of saying smoke what you want and don't worry about what everyone else does.

I smoke a boatload of Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and English Luxury. Don't really care if no one else does. Lol.

Why did I have this image of a guy in a rumpled tweet jacket standing up in the back of a room full of guys slouched in folding chairs...

'Hello, my name is beardedbassguy, and I'm an aro-holic."

And the room, as one, answers..."Hi beardedbassguy."

Just remember...we've all got our own devils...and we're here to help.

:lol:

Join the ranks of hundreds of "pipe smokers" in this country. I don't know exact figures but I would bet that MORE Aromatics are what are considered "pipe tobacco" and are smoked in this country than the English/Balkan, straight. Va, or VaPer blends/mixtures favored by the "aficionado's " as can be found on most Forums. One can't really say anything bad about them if they are enjoyed by so many pipe smokers! For myself, I did not start with Aro's, rather an old stand-by Burley, Granger, and moved on to one of the classic Balkans, BS 759 and from there after it had changed and was no longer readily available to straight Red Va's where I'm firmly entrenched now. Only in the last few years have I tipped my toes into the Aro waters starting with a few of the OTC blends and now have moved on to a few produced by some domestic blenders, Trout Stream being one, to a few by some of the EU blenders such as Dan Tobacco's Milonga to name another. For ME, I feel the quality of the variety of leaf used and flavorings are of a better quality and more to my palates liking. Don't feel that you need to justify your preferences as you are another in a long line of Pipe Smokers following a time honored tradition !! :twisted: :twisted:

beardedbassguy":geqdca7x said:
Over the last several months, I have come to a realization...

I'm an aromatic only smoker. And I'm not ashamed of that fact. I have tried some really nice VA'sand VaPer's. They aren't BAD. I just get more enjoyment out of a nice flavored aromatic, and the smell is usually way better.

I'm currently going through my extensive stash to find a nice rotation of tobaccos I really enjoy, and then I'm going to stockpile those. many people have told me repeatedly that Boswell's makes some of the best aros. I need to try to get some of those ordered, but I want to go through my current stash first.

Anyway, nothing really important was said in this thread, just a personal revelation :cheers:
I'm not an aro guy, although I do enjoy both Bob's Chocolate and The Mayor's Chocolate Flake/s on a continuing basis. In addition to the Lakeland's and J.M. Boswell's, you might wish to check out Carole Burns at Pipeworks and Wilke (vtpipes.com). She has a large aro selection. Disclaimer...I have never tried any of J.M.'s or Carole's aromatics; it's just a suggestion: cheers:  FTRPLT

To be honest im also only a aro smoker as well

I have tried a few other blends and they just do not hit that mark im looking for, but im really new and I suppose my taste will change over the years. but I have always had a bit of a sweet tooth so im guessing they will always be in the top tier for choice for me.

found some lovley aromatic vanilla blends recently, now im looking for a chocolate as well
mixed with beer is there anything else in life you need??

Kitobi, beardedbassguy, what blends do y'all like specifically right now? Just curious.

Blackhorse":wnmvh7sw said:
Totally agree, as I enjoy a bowl of my favorite aro...Esoterica Ramsgate...also one of my top five favorite blends.
I forgot about Esoterica Aros. I like them too.

juanmedusa":bdt9w5r7 said:
Kitobi, beardedbassguy, what blends do y'all like specifically right now? Just curious.
The biggest standouts for me so far have been

Drew Estate Central Park Stroll
Sutliff Charlemagne
Drew Estate Grand Central (except for its bad tongue bite)
Lane Rum and Maple

I also really enjoy Milan tobacco's Cavendish, but they call that a non aro on their site.

My "need to try list" is
Boswell's Best
Boswell's Christmas Cookie
(several other Boswell's blends look promising)
Sutliff Maple Street
Molte Dolce
4noggins Trout Stream
Tewksbury Hobbits Weed

if you like aros, that`s all that matters. tastes can change and down the road you may come back to va or va/per. . maybe not. enjoy your aros, bill

beardedbassguy":fdtdjjlz said:
Sutliff Maple Street
Molte Dolce
I have a tin of each of these with your name on them. PM me your address and they're yours. 8)