I've had enough of this city!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fatman":wyof2t0w said:
Come to Alaska. The economy is good, downside is the winters are loooooooooooooong!
We went on an inside passage cruise on our 1 yr anniversary. Was the greatest experience second to my daughter being born.

I'm not sure if I could deal with the cold though as I'm a spring/fall guy.

Nevada*. One of the most opposite-of-NYC you will EVER find. Work options are limited, but if you're creative, you can make it work. Reno has just enough convenience to make for civilized life, and if you drive about half an hour in any direction, you'll be people-free like you wouldn't believe. Mountains, lakes, deserts and even the Pacific ocean four hours away, cost of living is reasonable and you still get four seasons. Plus, your pipes dry out in half the time! :cheers:

(*...does not include "Las Vegas," which is actually part of California, just not legally...)

What did you do your six years of education for? If you want to move, the best thing you can do is decide *with your spouse* and then start looking for a good job in a place to land. The hardest part is coming to the point of making a decision to leave. Once you've done that, the rest isn't so bad.

We retreated from Seattle about six months ago. Seattle is a fairly pleasant city, but I needed to be closer to the mountains and around real people. We were apprehensive of pulling up roots but it has become one of the best decisions we could have made. I work incredibly hard. Just because you're out of the city doesn't mean you don't have to work your tail off. You just do it in surroundings that fit your disposition. Lazy people are still lazy and poor out here. They just have more space to spread their 15 cars they're too lazy to work on.

Good luck in your decision.

I got BA in Psychology and MS in Organizational Psychology, intending to work in an HR department or in Training & Development. I like lecturing and helping people learn and do better in their lives and work but I don't have enough of the right experience. I'm overqualified for entry-lvl, junior positions but underqualified for managerial roles.

I like cities for the fact that you can get some really great food that you will find no where else. Bagels. Sausage. Chicago style hotdogs. Fresh veggies, seafood, and other stuff.

But I detest the crowds. I hate the traffic. I do not want to be cooped up. It's all I can do to stay in a motel for several days.

Carlos, you've obviously never had Nevada Basque chorizo. :cheers: One does not to have to venture to a big city for good food--you find a good source, whatever that area's specialty is.

Small town life isn't for everyone.

Those that need constant excitement and are willing to fork out cash for the honor and prestige of a certain city, they need the kinds of jobs that cities can provide just to live that way. That's all cities are: lifestyle. You make twice as much to get taxed thrice as much, cut down on space to up the image...*cough* ...my mistake, I mean "culture." :lol: :tongue:

It ain't to talk crap on all cities, some are cool, I'd just never live in one. Not for me, sir. Not when I've tasted fresh air, felt true open spaces and heard ear-ringing quiet while outside.