Iwan Ries

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
monbla256":x3hrhrtr said:
Was it what you ORDERED ? :twisted: 
Yes, it was... a Peterson in the sleeve and the correct box. Falcon "Dry-Rings". A generous complimentary sample of tobacco.

Best,

Superb.

In all the years I dealt with them and all the pipes and tobacco I bought, I never even got a single pipe cleaner or a crumb of sample tobacco.

Geoff":j5506ptf said:
Superb.

In all the years I dealt with them and all the pipes and tobacco I bought,  I never even got a single pipe cleaner or a crumb of sample tobacco.
I don't have especially fond memories of past orders with this retailer... that's why I was so pleasantly surprised. Felt it was worth a mention.

Best,

Iwan Ries doesn't have the "best" prices.  They don't (AFAIK) offer "free shipping," at least on orders of $100 or more, like some vendors I frequent.

What Iwan Ries does offer is a certain ambiance.  That old school feel, not just in the store, which is obvious the minute you walk through the door, but also in the on line experience.

Like Paul's in Flint, MI, Iwan Ries prices their pipes fairly, and, unlike most other shops, B&M and online, retains those prices until the item is sold.  I like that.  I also like the fact that if you call them looking for something that can be hard to find, it's likely that you will have a better chance of finding what you want.

Iwan Ries, Paul's, L.J. Peretti, Owl Shop, Leavitt & Pierce, to name a few, are among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"

rothnh":re39ufoq said:
,,,, L.J. Peretti,,,,among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"
I have yet to place an order to Peretti without being subjected to extreme rudeness. They have no concept of courtesy in my experience.

mark":5q5ozt66 said:
rothnh":5q5ozt66 said:
 ,,,, L.J. Peretti,,,,among the long standing treasures in our hobby -- "Hello, how can we help you today?"
I have yet to place an order to Peretti without being subjected to extreme rudeness. They have no concept of courtesy in my experience.
They are just normal Boston Yankees. In your face and at times rude. Just respond in like manner and they understand. I have family that lives up there and they are the same. :twisted:  :twisted: 

Had the honor of having the guys from Iwan Ries stop by the restaurant a couple days ago. They brought cigars to share with my staff. Always a classy move. Thread hijack coming:

One of the reasons I started smoking a pipe was because I had been reading so much classic literature (a new kindle lead to this because the classics are free, a no brainer for this cheapskate). Every time someone (at least men) walk into someones office or house, they are usually offered a drink as well as tobacco, either a cigar, pipe tobacco (or rarely, snuff, The Count of Monte Cristo for a notable reference). As a host, I always offer a beverage, either soft or hard, and keep a stock of both simply for guests. I keep NA beer for my dad and Miller Lite for my father in law. I drink neither, but I feel a responsibility as a host. I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.

jefe1037":5yqygv8v said:
Had the honor of having the guys from Iwan Ries stop by the restaurant a couple days ago. They brought cigars to share with my staff. Always a classy move. Thread hijack coming:

One of the reasons I started smoking a pipe was because I had been reading so much classic literature (a new kindle lead to this because the classics are free, a no brainer for this cheapskate). Every time someone (at least men) walk into someones office or house, they are usually offered a drink as well as tobacco, either a cigar, pipe tobacco (or rarely, snuff, The Count of Monte Cristo for a notable reference). As a host, I always offer a beverage, either soft or hard, and keep a stock of both simply for guests. I keep NA beer for my dad and Miller Lite for my father in law. I drink neither, but I feel a responsibility as a host. I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.
Well met fellow, hail!

I could not agree more with your host philosophy! Wonderful!

Best,

jefe1037":9awztqk8 said:
I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.
not only is tobacco part of the hospitality you'd get at my place, a comfortable leather chair with an ottoman is included ...

SteveS":0gt1phc4 said:
jefe1037":0gt1phc4 said:
 I wish tobacco would fall back into this category of hospitality.
not only is tobacco part of the hospitality you'd get at my place, a comfortable leather chair with an ottoman is included ...
Splendid!

Best,