James Barber B-Line Pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pseudo Nim

Reaction score
I'd heard about the B-Line pipes on another board (Tamp and Puff, if I my be so bold) these are Dunhill seconds at a tenth of the price of a new one, I must admit, I was a little cynical as I went to look on the site
( http://www.smoke.co.uk/acatalog/Barber_B-Line.html ) after all, living in England, everytime you go into a B&M and start to look at the basket or lower end pipes, the owner comes over to tell you that "They're Dunhill seconds" every pipe in England is a Dunhill second !!!!!!!!!

Well at the price they were asking, £29.95, it's cheaper than an entry level Pete, I just had to give it a go. So I got on the phone and placed an order for a Group 4 Billiard with the intention of comparing it with the Dunny Grp 4 I own.

Without going into detail and boring you all silly (as my keyboard is playing up) I like the B-Line better, and it smokes superb.

I have no experience with these pipes, but I have purchased tobacco from this retailer and found his service to be excellent.

At that price I would certainly give one a go.

Let's see if my keyboard will allow me to type anything. In comparing the B-Line to the Dunhill I own, there are two big difference's, the first being the diameter of the shank, the B-Line being narrower than the particular dunny I have, and the weight, again, the B-Line is much lighter, most likely due to less wood in the shank.

I've been giving it a damn good workout today, at least five 1/2 bowls, and it hasn't complained. As would be expected from a quality peice of briar.

So now is the dilema, Does one spend a shed load on a single new Dunhill, or walk off with a rack full and still have change ?

Bit of a no brainer.

Oh yes, the condition of the pipe, (it is after all a second) it's a perfect straight grain, but with two tiny pinhole fills. I can live with that, but of course, Dunhill's could not. :D

You just HAD to type that last post didn't you :evil:

Now I will have to add one (or more) of those to my next tobacco order from Mr Barber :D

Sorry Gumball, I never intended to be an enabler :evil:

Honest :D :twisted: :D :twisted: :D

I checked out the site it does look like quality. I think I ll pick one up when the finances allow, sounds like a good deal. Thank you my British Brother! ( I am an American Lad of Brtish decent). I am a knight of my own round table.

Steve

When I get a chance Steve, I'll try and post a couple of pictures, at the momment, I've got a Black Labrador Bitch thats whelping so she's keeping me busy.

I'm afraid I'm unable to post any pictures of the pipe, my pictures are all stored on my computer and not on any public websites :evil:

I would have replied earlier, but my Black Labrador was prducing pups..... 11 of them :cheers:

11 pups lol wow. I think I can do without the pics, but thanks for the good info on the pipe. I think I am going to buy one once I get some quid lol.

Steve

Those are sweet. I bookmarked the site. I tend to love a Pipe Makers Seconds Lines. Diamonds in the rough, I call them. You can bet I will be getting some soon. I love ordering from over the Big Pond.

Cygnus

I like you enjoy scouring through manufacture "seconds" and lesser know brands and pipe store no names. You really can get a great deal if you look for quality and I am a Cheapooo so I like the search for a diamond in the rough (it adds to the excitment).I love ordering pipes from Europe (UK, Denmark and Italy) there is something special about a pipe from Europe arriving on your doorstep, the fact that something special traveled all that way for your simple smoking pleasure.

Just picked up my first B-line. I'll report back after I get a chance to smoke it. the pictures don't do it justice.

That is very nice. I like the shape and the size of the stem. That Letter "B" looks nice on the stem. Very clean, yet tasteful.

I put off buying one of these for weeks and finally broke down and ordered it. Ill give a review ounce I receive it.

I received my Barber Bline pipe in the mail today. Its group 4 lovat and I was suprised at how nice it is.It has great grain and the only thing I can see that would make it a second is the drilling is slightly offcenter.Considering it cost just under $50.00 dollars (that includes $10.00 postage) I feel they are well worth it.I just finnished smoking a half bowl of SPC Plum pudding in it and have no complaints on how it smokes, so far cool and dry.Pseudo thanks for bringing these to our attention.

I just recently got a group 4 blasted bent bulldog and I must say it smokes great. There's a slight imperfection where the blast goes a little deep. Other then that it smokes as good or better then any pipe I own. I don't own any Dunhills to compare it to, but for the money I would definitely buy another.

I've been smoking a James Barber B-Line lovat for 8 months now and I'm more than happy with it. I do not own any Dunhill pipes, so I can't compare but.......I find it hard to imagine that ANY pipe can be more enjoyable than this baby!!!! :roll: