Japanese Carpenter Knife, etc.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Just ordered two Japanese folding knives. They are the famous Higonokami Gold Aogami knives that only one man is licensed to make...blades all hand forged...these from Hitachi Blue Paper steel. They are San Mai (laminated process with hard steel enclosed by softer steel. Use extreme care with these as there is no locking mechanism. There are a number of makers but only one "official" forger and if it doesn't come in the gold box with the blue label, it's not a Higonokami. With the blue steel and the proper 1000/3000 water stone these can be brought to straight razor sharpness quickly. They are rustic, not finely finished. They are cheap: $25 - $35 for the blue steel version. Also made in white steel for more or SK steel for less.

Here is a "Nutjob with a Machete" video re a Chinese knife in the same sort of design. Very different steel, I imagine. Note: there is the large one he shows and three others at the Gearbest site in successive sizes. These are really cheap. Five bucks delivered.

https://youtu.be/fATJlJVoDfQ

Garrett Wade has been selling those, or something very similar, for many years. They're springless, right? So the blade just flops around? Always wondered what the usefulness was. Kind of like carrying a small straight razor, seems to me. But collectors gotta collect, I reckon. No harm in that.  :lol:

http://www.garrettwade.com/brass-cased-knife.html

Looks like Garrett Wade is OOS til January 15, 2018. That's a long time!

Yes, springless. No excuses. Interesting Japanese cultural history. Made the same way for a long, long time. Not intended as a tactical or tree chopping wood splitting blade. lol

Note: as a tradesman...if this was all you had, all the government allowed...and the forging tradition came out of sword making...and it was made from crazy sharp super quality steel...you would embrace it.