Jar and Cans and Tins Oh My!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonomo

Reaction score
Question about longer term storage. There are about 4 or 5 tobaccos that I really love and have been buying in bulk. I store about 1 lbs in 2 liter lockable jars. Then I take a bit and keep it in either a regular mason jar or a Wide Mouth 1/2 Mason jar that way I don't expose to much air to my bulk storage tobaccos. I have several of my 1 lbs storage jars that have not been opened in over a year (I'm fairly new to pipe smoking. Only about 15 months). I am trying to not take tobacco from the bulk storage until I run out of the smaller jars. Is this the right approach?

2nd question: I just ordered a bunch of Sutliff tins. Am I better only opening 1 tin at a time and jarring that or should I take all of them and put them in a larger mason lockable jar? In my 15 months of pipe smoking, I have only gone through 2 tins and have about 6 tins opened with anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of the tin left (stored in a mason jar).

Final question: Am I better of with 3 x 1lbs storage mason jars or 1 giant lockable mason jar? Thanks everyone.

zonomo":6hzpnccw said:
Question about longer term storage.  There are about 4 or 5 tobaccos that I really love and have been buying in bulk.  I store about 1 lbs in 2 liter lockable jars.  Then I take a bit and keep it in either a regular mason jar or a Wide Mouth 1/2 Mason jar that way I don't expose to much air to my bulk storage tobaccos.  I have several of my 1 lbs storage jars that have not been opened in over a year (I'm fairly new to pipe smoking.  Only about 15 months).  I am trying to not take tobacco from the bulk storage until I run out of the smaller jars.  Is this the right approach?

Sounds like a reasonable approach to me. I do a similar procedure

2nd question:  I just ordered a bunch of Sutliff tins.  Am I better only opening 1 tin at a time and jarring that or should I take all of them and put them in a larger mason lockable jar?  In my 15 months of pipe smoking, I have only gone through 2 tins and have about 6 tins opened with anywhere from 1/2 to 1/3 of the tin left (stored in a mason jar).

Personally I'd open 1 tin at a time and jarring that when the moisture content gets about where you'd like it. No real reason to jar them all, unless you have a suspicion that the tin may be suspect.

Final question:  Am I better of with 3 x 1lbs storage mason jars or 1 giant lockable mason jar?  Thanks everyone.

For me, I'd go with the 3 x 1 lb rather than one large container. And when the contents start to get to the halfway point in the jar, I'd transfer it to the next size down. This is what I do and it's worked out pretty well

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Z, I know from your past posts and from the tobacco description in your avatar that you enjoy aromatics. Do note that aromatics typically don't benefit from age and if anything will kind of lose their flavor qualities after an extended period of time.

Personally I store my tobaccos in smaller Mason jars, that way when I open a jar I am only committed to a couple ounces of tobacco and I haven't compromised the seal on tobacco that I don't intend to smoke right away. I also have an assorted selection of bail top jars, but I use these only for blends that I am currently puffing on.

The Sutliff tins are best left sealed until you decide to open them.

Typically I'm like D&B, I use 2oz. mason jars for all my bulk and non-screw top tins.
That way I can use one 2oz jar to smoke out of and the rest gets to age without being disturbed. I don't worry about tins I haven't opened only bulk in bags or baggies get immediately put in jars.

Thanks everyone - sounds like I am doing the right thing by smoking out of smaller jars and only going to the bigger ones when I run out of the smaller ones. Thanks for the Sutfliff tip too. Cheers.

My approach is a bit different from the above. I use the Scrooge McDuck method, putting all my tobacco into an indoor swimming pool so I can survey the wealth all at once. Of course, the diving board adds to the fun for the occasional plunge!

Scrooge-Porpoise.jpg

Question for you Zonomo, are you refilling the small jars from the larger jars? When you are aging tobacco, you do not want to open the jar until you are ready to smoke it's entire contents. Everytime you open the jar, the aging process is interrupted.

Northern Neil":zet31csz said:
Question for you Zonomo, are you refilling the small jars from the larger jars? When you are aging tobacco, you do not want to open the jar until you are ready to smoke it's entire contents. Everytime you open the jar, the aging process is interrupted.
Yes, thats exactly what I am doing. What I used to do is, for example, buy a pound of my fav tobacco. Then open THAT big jar to load a pipe. Then I started buying smaller jars to fill up from my larger ones. That way instead of opening the jar a few times a week, I now open the jar a few times a year. Plus there are several of my jars that i've never opened. Thats why I asked this question because I am looking for a good strategy on this.

Northern Neil":a47iat70 said:
Everytime you open the jar, the aging process is interrupted.
BTW, I understand that aros don't necessary age like non-aros. So I am not really sure it matters but I just don't know. I mainly don't want my baccy to dry out. I've already made that mistake. I am trying to really stock up on baccy right now since I happen to believe that our freedom to smoke tobacco is under assault and it will be taxed to kingdom come or become unavailable all together. One of my fav tobacco places, Boswells, have had their online tobacco sales essentially halted due to political pressure on the part of their Credit Card processor (MasterCard).

If your only concern is to keep your baccy moist, then what you're doing is just fine. Keep in mind that if you ever want to move to aging, buy multiple small jars and fill them rather than one large one. It is a slightly larger investment, but well worth it when you have some nice aged leaf to smoke.

Northern Neil":pv164v2d said:
If your only concern is to keep your baccy moist, then what you're doing is just fine. Keep in mind that if you ever want to move to aging, buy multiple small jars and fill them rather than one large one. It is a slightly larger investment, but well worth it when you have some nice aged leaf to smoke.
Good to know. Lately I've been buying the 1/2 Mason Wide Mouth jars because its much easier to get the pipe in there to fill er up without splashing tobacco everywhere.

you can get 8oz jars at walmart for under 8 bucks with new lids and rings, the 8 oz jar holds about 2 oz of ribbon and shag cut, if your jarring flakes you can get about 2oz in a 4 oz mason jar, and of course a pint mason jar will hold about 4 oz of toebacky

Like DB I prefer to only jar up about 2oz in jar so as not to disturb the aging process of the rest of my stash

To the comment on long term storage of aromatics:
I've got a couple jars/tins that have aromatics more than a couple years and I notice little if any difference in flavor loss. Maybe 5-10 years down the road that might be a different story.

pylorns":21yj3f0y said:
To the comment on long term storage of aromatics:
I've got a couple jars/tins that have aromatics more than a couple years and I notice little if any difference in flavor loss.  Maybe 5-10 years down the road that might be a different story.
I had jars of Holger Danske Black & Bourbon, Charles Fairmourn Black Tropical, 1Q and LL7 from about 10 years ago. I tried to smoke them last year and they were all pretty much throw-aways. The room note was still okay but any sweet appreciable flavors from the topping were all but gone.

Cartaphilus":lra67y59 said:
Typically I'm like D&B, I use 2oz. mason jars for all my bulk and non-screw top tins.
That way I can use one 2oz jar to smoke out of and the rest gets to age without being disturbed. I don't worry about tins I haven't opened only bulk in bags or baggies get immediately put in jars.
Way to do it !!

Fools never differ  :twisted: