Jarring Penzance

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

taharris

B of B Supporter
Reaction score
I just got an 8 oz. bag of Penzance and I want to jar it for long term storage.

My concern is that Penzance can have a tendency to mold on you if it is not jarred correctly.

Should I set it out to dry a little first or is there another trick I can use?

Or should I just put it in the jar and seal it up?

Thanks,

Todd

Strap it into the kid's seat in the back and do about 20 mph over a pothole-ridden road, or some obnoxious speed bumps. That's the trick to jarring Penzance.

Oddly, the subject of what to do with Penzance should be more commonplace, considering I just reorganized my cellar and found one of my three 2oz tins of the stuff popped. Still moist, but I swear, between the stupid bags and the stupid tins, this stuff is a challenge! Like the bag I also had to jar, there was some light, white bloom on the tobacco (a welcome sight) and I just tossed it with my other Penzance, 10oz packed into two 4oz jars. I'm not worried about aging it, just salvaging it from compromised JF Germain & Sons OEM packaging. :|

Just stuff it in a jar, Todd. You'll be alright. 8)

I have had Penzance straight out of the bag that looks as though there is something slightly hairy forming on it. It's always smoke well and has never concerned me too much. I always use fresh factory sealed masons and I don't bother sterilizing them unless they were used for something prior or purchased second hand. I have been fortunate enough in that my last 3 bags of Penzance and 1 bag o' Stonehaven have been completely sealed. Prior to that all my Esoterica bags had holes in them.

I'm also in the camp that just stuffs their Penzance in a sterile jar.

8oz. fits perfectly into a wide-mouth pint jar :)

Easy hint on sterilizing... put about a quarter cup of water in each jar and microwave about 1 minute for each jar you can stuff in the microwave set to full power. Paper-towel dry well, and with the glass still somewhat warm, jar and lid--you'll even get a little vacuum seal if that means anything.

8)

Kyle Weiss":e81keqom said:
Easy hint on sterilizing... put about a quarter cup of water in each jar and microwave about 1 minute for each jar you can stuff in the microwave set to full power. Paper-towel dry well, and with the glass still somewhat warm, jar and lid--you'll even get a little vacuum seal if that means anything.

8)
Nice! Much easier than the whole boiling water deal. Of course, I rarely have to sterilize... I'm usually using fresh, factory sealed jars. Jars that have been used and are empty usually get rinsed out and refilled with the same tobacco. They're already labeled so I just change the date :)

I can't remember who it was but a while back there was a thread about how SUPER sterile those mason jars are right outta the box... A member used his fancy food-grade tester thing and ever since those results I have stopped worrying about sterilizing new jars (I used to buy a case of brand new jars and spend an afternoon cleaning them lol)

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. I'm a cheap arse. I have a stink-eliminating salt/vinegar/ammonia technique for reused food jars (with good lids) where I mix about an ounce each of vinegar and ammonia, with a teaspoon full o' Kosher salt, throw it in the jar and invert, let it sit soaking for a day. Air dry for one more day. Takes the food funk out. Then I do the microwave trick. So far, my tobacco doesn't stink like spaghetti sauce or mint jelly.

If this were preserved meat or something, I'd probably go for gamma radiation, but since I don't can/jar or have a gamma radiation rig, this works. 8)

Kyle Weiss":c0pxt2d3 said:
Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to survive. I'm a cheap arse. I have a stink-eliminating salt/vinegar/ammonia technique for reused food jars (with good lids) where I mix about an ounce each of vinegar and ammonia, with a teaspoon full o' Kosher salt, throw it in the jar and invert, let it sit soaking for a day. Air dry for one more day. Takes the food funk out. Then I do the microwave trick. So far, my tobacco doesn't stink like spaghetti sauce or mint jelly.

If this were preserved meat or something, I'd probably go for gamma radiation, but since I don't can/jar or have a gamma radiation rig, this works. 8)
You mean you don't want your Embarcadero smelling/tasting like mint jelly tomato sauce??? :scratch: Sometimes I just don't get you, Kyle...

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, great. I just started reading this and freaked. I have several 8oz bags of Penzance in the cellar AND... one of them has a nearly completely open seal. It wasn't like that when I bought it. I'm running off to work so it'll have to wait, but I wonder how long it has been like that and how the tobac inside is fairing...

Although I wasn't a fan of "new" Penzance I did buy a pound of it to age. When it came in family volunteered to can it for me but considering all they have canned for me before is ribbon cut I declined. I have the pound in the basement, each bag was put into a ziploc freezer bag, then inverted and put into another ziploc freezer bag. That will also be done with the 8oz of Stonehaven in route to the house. Hopefully it will be good until I get home as it is.

Love this stuff, but it does seem to come extremely wet. I tend to like moist, but even I dry this stuff quite a bit. Moisture helps age, so I keep the bulk moist and jarred, and a smaller jar for enjoyment, more dry.

--Alex

If you're looking for a tobacco to age, you want (need) the moisture content.

:face: