Jazz Appreciation Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bahnzo

Reaction score
So...any Jazz lovers out there?

Currently digging on some Kenny Burrell......

Instiable Pat Metheny fan. also Barry Miles, Big Bands..Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Ellington, Maynard Ferguson, and big lover of anything with a trumpet in it (except Miles Davis).

hobie1dog":m8l9i8a3 said:
Instiable Pat Metheny fan. also Barry Miles, Big Bands..Woody Herman, Buddy Rich, Ellington, Maynard Ferguson, and big lover of anything with a trumpet in it (except Miles Davis).
Why no Miles?

Huge Pat fan here too. Also Scofield, Miles, Coltrane, Branford....the list goes on. Love jazz. Pat is king of the hill for me though. His body of work is just massive.

Pat Martino comes and goes for me. His recent albumn of Wes Montgomery covers was very good, and some of his early stuff is great also. But for the most part, his continuous 1/8" note playing just bores me.

What I do find VERY interesting about Pat, is the fact that he basically lost all his memory and relearned to play. I'm pretty much amazed by that.

I love Miles' work up until he went electric (and even that I begrudgingly like). It's hard to overlook a giant like him who introduced so many jazz greats. Say what you want about Miles, he not only had talent, but he had an eye for it as well.

Check out Emily Remler if you haven't heard of her. Tragic, as she died fairly young, but a very good guitarist with a great sound.

Martino, not Metheny had/has amnesia, I believe, but I'm no expert on either gentlemen's work.

Harlock999":wlojeph2 said:
Martino, not Metheny had/has amnesia, I believe, but I'm no expert on either gentlemen's work.
No you are right, it's martino, and I meant Martino above. confused the two. Not a fan of Metheny either, but Martino was who I meant.

I remember seeing a 60 Minutes story on Martino once, and it is pretty amazing that he was able to re-learn how to play. This is slightly off topic, but someone associated with The Who said that Keith Moon had to re-learn how to play the drums before any tour or recording session. Apparently he never practiced, or played if he didn't have to, and it was implied that he would literally forget how to play.

Martino is great...great 16th note runs. But if you listen closely he sounds like a guy who sounds like Martino now...Not quite the same after the stroke.

Not a Metheny fan?? I'm just not sure I buy that. :no:

Tom Harrell is a fairly important figure in the Jazz world, and is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic! Forget relearning how to play, how bout just trying to get out the front door?!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FQEqR_t0jrY" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thelonious Monk, Danilo Perez to name a few are my favorites.

Bird and Diz
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8UocRNiWVlU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Harlock999":gr4w76ci said:
hobie1dog":gr4w76ci said:
Why no Miles?
Being a trumpet player myself for many years....., Miles is the epitome of a weak/anemic sounding player, has an incredibly shitty tone, and a strained upper register. He just simply plays all those "right notes harmonically", but very "wrong sounding" notes for the common man who doesn't know about the world of music harmony. He had his own style, but when it comes to "cool jazz" , I just prefer Chet Baker, Donald Byrd, or even early Freddie Hubbard. And as George Carlin says, " I tried, I really tried" to like Miles' music, but just cannot connect with it. :cry:

Music is extremely personal as we all know, but we expect everyone else to like our music. This is very evident when you are demo'ing your stereo to someone and they ask you after the first 30 seconds if you have any other type of music for them to listen to. One person likes nothing but Classical, another nothing but ole time Country, another Metallica, Opera, Punk, Celtic, etc.

So that's my Miles story.

talrmn35":hevjb0xp said:
Huge Pat fan here too. Also Scofield, Miles, Coltrane, Branford....the list goes on. Love jazz. Pat is king of the hill for me though. His body of work is just massive.
His Composition skills are overwhelming. Such a unique style. Take the song, " First Circle " as a prime example.

This is classic Miles here...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BeZomqLM7BQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This anecdote is for Hobie, it´s a famous one:

In the 1940´s Miles studied briefly at the Juilliard School in NY. Primarily a classical music school, William Vacchiano of the New York Philharmonic was his trumpet teacher. Vacchiano was a real stickler for transposition and would assign his students etudes in every key possible to transpose for the Bb trumpet- often asking them to sight read them in a new transposition at lessons...

At a lesson, Vacchiano asks Miles,

"Okay, D trumpet part in six sharps- where does that put the Bb trumpet??"

"Back in the case, man, back in the case..." said Miles.
That was his final lesson- hahaha.

True story...

For me it would have to be big bands, and Don Ellis is represented better than the others in my collection, 2nd place Quincy Jones.

Steve

Count me in Jazz fan wise, I love Miles, sorry Hob. Also at the top, Art Blakey and Kenny Burrell.