Jazz Appreciation Thread

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MisterE":98ldf1gm said:
This is classic Miles here...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BeZomqLM7BQ" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This anecdote is for Hobie, it´s a famous one:

In the 1940´s Miles studied briefly at the Juilliard School in NY. Primarily a classical music school, William Vacchiano of the New York Philharmonic was his trumpet teacher. Vacchiano was a real stickler for transposition and would assign his students etudes in every key possible to transpose for the Bb trumpet- often asking them to sight read them in a new transposition at lessons...

At a lesson, Vacchiano asks Miles,

"Okay, D trumpet part in six sharps- where does that put the Bb trumpet??"

"Back in the case, man, back in the case..." said Miles.
That was his final lesson- hahaha.

True story...

I like the story about Miles asking Coltrane about his increasingly lengthy solos, something along the lines of:
Miles: "Hey John, what's up with the long solos?"
Coltrane: "I just don't know how to end my solo"
Miles: "Well, just take the damn horn out of your mouth!"

I love Miles!

Which one said about the long solo's...." if you can't say it in 16 bars, just give it up"??

Midnight Blues":s4fcd7pb said:
Also at the top, Art Blakey and Kenny Burrell.
Well, obviously you like Burrell..from your avatar. Midnight Blue is a classic, have you listened to Guitar Forms? Its big in my rotation right now.

And I love Art Blakey.....one of the most energetic drummers in jazz. Jazz Messengers are such a classic group!

I've always though Stan Kenton was underrated. Seems to be out of the loop these days, but I love that sound.

MisterE":nrwgyws1 said:
Yes, being in the Jazz Messengers is like a "rite of passage" for up and coming players.
True, very true. On an album I have, Blakey is introducing the new group and says something along the lines of "When these guys get too old, I'm gonna get me some new ones."

Speaking of albums, how many of you still have actual 33 1/3? For years my entire collection was on vinyl, but my player finally broke and I converted to CD's and now downloads. But I swear they just aren't the same as having that big sleeve with all the artwork, writing, etc.

talrmn35":deux194v said:
Anyone into Jimmy Bruno? I really dig him as well.
I just Googled him up, and he smokes the guitar vith a vengence. :shock:

Bahnzo":7q8v98zh said:
MisterE":7q8v98zh said:
Yes, being in the Jazz Messengers is like a "rite of passage" for up and coming players.
True, very true. On an album I have, Blakey is introducing the new group and says something along the lines of "When these guys get too old, I'm gonna get me some new ones."

Speaking of albums, how many of you still have actual 33 1/3? For years my entire collection was on vinyl, but my player finally broke and I converted to CD's and now downloads. But I swear they just aren't the same as having that big sleeve with all the artwork, writing, etc.
I have a some nice old LP's, some Impulse!, Prestige, BlueNote, World Pacific. Not a world class collection, but some of my faves.

talrmn35":wwxz44rd said:
Anyone into Jimmy Bruno? I really dig him as well.
I've heard some of him that I like, and I've heard some that I don't. His recording seems iffy....I mean the sound sometimes is too crisp and annoys me for whatever reason. But no question he's a talented guitar player.

Here´s Frank Rosolino. Just an amazing player....

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ahV53HVtuM8" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hermit":s232ahc9 said:
Bird and Diz
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8UocRNiWVlU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Doesn´t get any better than this....

Bahnzo":nka33ocy said:
MisterE":nka33ocy said:

I still have many of my old albums but in the last move they´ve all stayed packed in the boxes- I have no way to listen to them now without a a record player. I even have a lot on cassete tape as well. Like you it´s all on MP3 format now...

Bahnzo":ti19cpsz said:
Midnight Blues":ti19cpsz said:
Also at the top, Art Blakey and Kenny Burrell.
Well, obviously you like Burrell..from your avatar. Midnight Blue is a classic, have you listened to Guitar Forms? Its big in my rotation right now.

And I love Art Blakey.....one of the most energetic drummers in jazz. Jazz Messengers are such a classic group!
B, I have not heard Guitar Forms but I will look for it and give it a listen, and Art Blakey is just amazing.

I still have and listen to vinyl, I've got a nice tube rig that sounds wonderful, one of life's great pleasures

Some recent listens of mine:

Not a terribly well-known album, but I'd easily put in it my top 5:
51gImAQFQvL._SS400_.jpg

As good as Freeman is, it's pianist John Young who really makes the album for me.

61pBcLpRdaL._SS500_.jpg

51HR-sDe6KL._SS400_.jpg

51NCpSMqI0L._SS500_.jpg

Midnight Blues":b9n8mtqa said:
[…] I've got a nice tube rig that sounds wonderful, one of life's great pleasures
Indeed! By the way: "Midnight Blue" has always been one of my favorite albums.

One of the latest impressive albums to me is a recording of some very much valued colleagues here in Germany, Oliver Steidles quartet "Soko Steidle" ("Soko" stands for "special task force"), the Album is called "Blaulicht“:

51KL2jEEXcL.jpg

Though I adore most of the other artists mentioned in this thread, I felt compelled to toss a few more into the mix

696ff31a.jpg

And I hope "fusion/progressive" counts!
9ea55886.jpg

And since I am first and foremost a bassist...
8325b891.jpg