Jazz Bagpipes--Rufus Harley

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the macdonald

Reaction score
I found the worlds only jazz bagpiper, Rufus Harley. Rufus sadly shed his mortal coil in 2007 but his music lives on, and on.

I have been listening to him all day, to the dismay of my less sophisticates co-workers, and I am sold. I didn't know what music was until I heard the improve solo on the pipes he did in "Scotland the Brave." Ok, maybe that is a little "overboard" but if you like jazz, and/or, want to win a stereo war with a neighbor, he's worth a look.

Is there a link or somewhere I could go to hear this? Sounds very good, Thanks

Sorry, use lala.com, you have to create an acount (no credit cards or downloads) and search his name. Lala.com is great site if you have wide ranging musical taste. You can hear anything in their library for free once, then you can buy it or move on to the next. I use it at work all the time.

Here is a quick bio of him and a good overview of his career.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_Harley

Very awesome piper Rufus was.

In a sort of similar vein there is Neil Anderson formerly of Seven Nations a popular Celtic Folk Rock band. Neil Anderson is an absolute MASTER of improvisational and traditional style on the Highland Great Pipes, the Irish Uilleann pipes & Northumrian Small pipes. "The Jimi Hendrix of the highland bagpipe." - The Washington Times

If you ever have opportunity to see him live DO SO! I've NEVER seen energy like his!

The Jimi Hendrix of the highland bagpipe

Just watched a few videos on him on YouTube. What a talented, upbeat and utterly positive figure of the jazz community that I had never heard of before! Amazing!

Thank you for sharing!

-Adam

Wow that is pretty cool. I would think it may be tough to play jazz on bagpipes with the drone pipe, but there it is, definitely really cool!