jcb checking in.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

New to here, but not new to forums or to the pipe. I keep it simple. A small number of pipes, bic lighters and a regular rotation of new tobaccos.

I am interested in pipe smoking as a historic, cultural phenomenon, but have no expertise in this area whatever.

Atm smoking G&H Dark Plug in a BC Old Root Bulldog I bought in 85 or 86.

jefe1037":b0c6vsdg said:
First, Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Next, I like your term "cultural phenomenon," and would care for you to expound.
Well, I get a little bit excited when I see pipes in old news footage. For example,  I was watching The World at War the other day and a German soldier was smoking a cigarette in a pipe. Not a cheroot, an actual cigarette. I paused and spent a few minutes in wonderment.

More broadly I am interested in such things as the class aspects of the pipe. In the 18th Century the wealthy took snuff and from the 19th Century, cigars. The pipe was the down market way to smoke, and it is no accident that Harold Wilson, Stalin and others made the pipe part of their public persona.  In the 21st Century with hand crafted pipes often selling for many hundreds of dollars there seems to be a push from some quarters to up sell pipe smoking.

I am also fascinated by the contrarian nature of pipe smokers themselves. It is almost like an act of rebellion today to smoke a pipe.

Again, I am not an expert of any kind about these things, just a chap who finds it all very interesting.