Jetline Lacardo - are they any good?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey-smokey

Reaction score
I am looking for a piezo lighter that is cheap and will last about 2 years or so. I like my zippo but get tired of changing flints, fueling, cutting the wick, etc.

I had a Colibri which I really liked but failed after two months. I then tried a Vertigo (I think it's a governor, not sure) and while I liked the looks, after about a week the flame started to get lower and and lower even at Max. setting.

I researched the Xikar lighters and keep hearing that they aren't good any more.

I want a lighter that's low priced, has a decent feel to it (I know a 25 dollar lighter won't be as good as a 100, but I want to avoid the cheap feel of an IMCO) and, while it won't last forever, I would like a year or two of service.

I want a piezo system so I don't have to worry about flints and butane fuel to I just grab a can, fuel the later, and go.

Any suggestions?

Who is saying Xikar lights are bad, or gotten worse? I've had mine for two years and it still works. In fact, I use it all the time. They still have lifetime warranties, yes? I'd say that is your best bet personally because most lighters that are cheap break within a year with little to no payback, at least Xikar replaces theirs.

With that said, Wal-mart sells Ronson butane lighters (they are torch lighters) for like $4. I've had mine for over a year and it still works alright. I rarely use it though because it's a torch.

joshoowah":u0udmpjq said:
Who is saying Xikar lights are bad, or gotten worse? I've had mine for two years and it still works. In fact, I use it all the time.  They still have lifetime warranties, yes? I'd say that is your best bet personally because most lighters that are cheap break within a year with little to no payback, at least Xikar replaces theirs.

With that said, Wal-mart sells Ronson butane lighters (they are torch lighters) for like $4.  I've had mine for over a year and it still works alright.  I rarely use it though because it's a torch.
Everywhere I've looked I read about people who get tired of sending their Xicar lighters out for repairs. Which Xikar do you have that has lasted you 2 years without issue?

A lifetime warranty is great, but to me it means that you are making a quality product, not something I have to send out for repairs all the time. If I am going to pay 40+ for a lighter that comes with a life time warranty that I will have to continually use then I would rather get a cheap one I can replace every 2 years or so.

If there isn't a chap butane lighter out there that will last at least one full year then I might as well stick with my zippo and matches.

Smokey-smokey":01ff10py said:
joshoowah":01ff10py said:
Who is saying Xikar lights are bad, or gotten worse? I've had mine for two years and it still works. In fact, I use it all the time.  They still have lifetime warranties, yes? I'd say that is your best bet personally because most lighters that are cheap break within a year with little to no payback, at least Xikar replaces theirs.

With that said, Wal-mart sells Ronson butane lighters (they are torch lighters) for like $4.  I've had mine for over a year and it still works alright.  I rarely use it though because it's a torch.
Everywhere I've looked I read about people who get tired of sending their Xicar lighters out for repairs. Which Xikar do you have that has lasted you 2 years without issue?

A lifetime warranty is great, but to me it means that you are making a quality product, not something I have to send out for repairs all the time. If I am going to pay 40+ for a lighter that comes with a life time warranty that I will have to continually use then I would rather get a cheap one I can replace every 2 years or so.

If there isn't a chap butane lighter out there that will last at least one full year then I might as well stick with my zippo and matches.
Xikar Resource

It is their pipe lighter that includes a pipe tool embedded in the side. I am unsure of a cheap butane lighter that will last for that amount of time because the ones I have tried did not outlast a couple of months. I plan on buying an Old Boy sooner or later, but for now the Xikar has been nice to me.

joshoowah":0nfsvwfe said:
Smokey-smokey":0nfsvwfe said:
joshoowah":0nfsvwfe said:

Xikar Resource

It is their pipe lighter that includes a pipe tool embedded in the side. I am unsure of a cheap butane lighter that will last for that amount of time because the ones I have tried did not outlast a couple of months.  I plan on buying an Old Boy sooner or later, but for now the Xikar has been nice to me.
You know, I've been tempted to buy an old boy myself due to their reputation and looks. What scares me is spending, on average, 100 bucks and dropping it... This is why I've stuck with zippos for a while. Boy, I which Bic made a pipe lighter.

[/quote]

You know, I've been tempted to buy an old boy myself due to their reputation and looks. What scares me is spending, on average, 100 bucks and dropping it... This is why I've stuck with zippos for a while. Boy, I which Bic made a pipe lighter.[/quote]

As in ALL things you get what you pay for. Here's two lighters I own, both Dunhills, one, the Rollalite (fuel) lighter I've had since '69 and my Unique I got two years ago ( gas) and have had NO problems with. They were expensive, but other than an occasional 10 year service, work like a champ! ( I'll qualify that as I've not yet had the Unique, the style that the Old Boy copies, ten years yet but have had absolutely NO problems with it, other than it uses gas like a drunken sailor as do ALL gas pipe lighters. Remember, lighters were first designed for the short bursts of flame needed to light a cigarette, not the longer, sustained flame as is needed for pipes .
Rollalite:

Unique:

BTW, I've dropped BOTH lighters and they have ridden in my pants pocket along with my change. I don't baby them, they are TOOLS to USE, not some great esthetic object to possess!!  :twisted: :twisted:

As in ALL things you get what you pay for. Here's two lighters I own, both Dunhills, one, the Rollalite (fuel) lighter I've had since '69 and my Unique I got two years ago ( gas) and have had NO problems with. They were expensive, but other than an occasional 10 year service, work like a champ! ( I'll qualify that as I've not yet had the Unique, the style that the Old Boy copies, ten years yet but have had absolutely NO problems with it, other than it uses gas like a drunken sailor as do ALL gas pipe lighters. Remember, lighters were first designed for the short bursts of flame needed to light a cigarette, not the longer, sustained flame as is needed for pipes .

BTW, I've dropped BOTH lighters and they have ridden in my pants pocket along with my change. I don't baby them, they are TOOLS to USE, not some great esthetic object to possess!!  :twisted: :twisted:
What do you mean by 'fuel', Zippo/Ronsonliquid Naphta or similar?

Thomas Tkach":20z9ndnj said:

What do you mean by 'fuel', Zippo/Ronsonliquid Naphta or similar?
Flameable liquid as opposed to butane gas. Zippo's are considered a "fuel" lighter, Carona Old Boys are a Butane "gas" lighter.

I owned a Jetline Bolla pipe lighter. It lasted a year. I got a Xikar Resource for Christmas. We will see...

Well, Dunhills are a bit too much coin for me, I think an Old Boy would the be highest I'd go.

I agree that lighters are tools, regardless of aesthetics. I don't personally care if the get scratched a little, my concern with dropping an expensive lighter is that I may need to send it out to pain in the butt repairs.

My zippo, that I've had for about 8 years, actually fits my needs quite well and it is reliable (and cheap). While it is possible to get a nice lighter (depending on taste) for cheap, I am interested in the convenience of butane, here is where I think a more "complex" system (with more moving parts and such) has a higher probability of failure if made cheaply.

Those of you with an Old Boy, how long have you had it and how often have you sent it out for repairs? What were the repairs?