John Barrymore as Holmes...1922!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I'm now watching a DVR'd film - a 1922 silent, recently restored I suppose...via funding from Hugh Hefner of all people. John Barrymore is actually quite good as the early, then later Holmes. The story is not what I would call 'tight' but the whole thing is most interesting to a fan such as myself (as you might tell from my humble avatar). I must be bingeing as I've picked up an anthology of pastiches set at Christmas...some are really quite good.

Also currently enjoying the now playing Jeremy Brett series (have to admit he is my favorite classic Holmes). Favorite comic Holmes would be Rob't. Downy Jr. and from the trailers I'm eagerly awaiting Dec. 19...I think that's the release date. He and Jude Law make for some much appreciated hi-jinks.

Anyway, I never knew of the silent Holmes film(s).

TTFN

Haven't seen Cumberbatch...but with a name like that he shiuld be doing Dickens as well as Doyle! lol

There's a current H of the B production showing on TV. It's oroof that it's more than the story that is needed. Worst Holmes to date...does Doyle as if on 'ludes. But oddly enough the script seems to center much more on Watson...who is actually pretty good, and saves the thing, as does the American Sir Henry.

Just looked it up...it "stars" Richard Roxburgh, Ian Hart and Richard E Grant. Don't know who is which or whatever.

Ok...this is totally too weird! The guy I was referring to is going to play Bilbo in 'The Hobbit'. Name -Martin Freeman. Past films include Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead...and he was WATSON in the the Sherlock series - and yes, I have seen a number of the episodes. Both are fine actors and although very different, should do well when together again. And when Freeman appeared in the Star Trek movie (now I can't remember if he was Scotty or Bones) it was a highlight of an already very good film, at least to me.