John Patton's Storm Front

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeGeek

Reaction score
I've seen tons of posts mentioning this blend, or comparing this blend to other blends, but I haven't seen a post dedicated to the blend itself. I figured it was time it had one.

The description of Storm Front is as follows:

[url=http://www.4noggins.com/johnpattonsstormfront.aspx:x5smwuj2 said:
http://www.4noggins.com/johnpattonsstormfront.aspx[/url]":x5smwuj2]Two cube cut burleys combined with cigar leaf. Meaty,sweet, and smokey. This might be John's favorite blend yet!!

Strength: Mild to Medium
Flavoring: None Detected
Taste: Medium
Room Note: Pleasant to Tolerable
I picked up some Storm Front and have had the opportunity to smoke a few bowls. While I am still very new to pipe smoking and don't have a developed palate, I can say that I have quickly grown fond of Storm Front. It smokes clean and dry with no bite, and it doesn't take much of a draw to get good amount of smoke. I've seen Storm Front compared to Billy Bud; As Billy Bud is sometimes described as a nicotine bomb, and as I'm not coming over from cigarette smoking, I'm not inclined to put the two in the same category. I've gotten no nicotine hit from Storm Front that I can tell, unlike some other pipe tobaccos that I have tried.

Many people point to the inclusion of cigar leaf as a major factor in trying this blend. This wasn't why I went for it, nor am I a cigar smoker. In the end, for me, it doesn't matter: This blend stands on its own as a fine everyday smoke.

I encourage everyone to add their experience for the benefit of others looking for BoB's take on this fine blend.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend_detail.cfm?ALPHA=S&TID=3110
http://www.4noggins.com/johnpattonsstormfront.aspx

I've smoked Storm Front and Billy Budd. I have both in jars on my tobacco bar. I tend to prefer the Budd for the more tangy taste. Storm Front appears to contain the "cheap aromatic" cigar leaf rather than the rich and robust maduro leaf which I prefer. I'm a guy that does not care for a head spin and I don't find than Billy Budd is a high nic blend. Perhaps my preference is based upon my appreciation for a Partagas Black Label cigar which I keep on hand.

When I first tried Storm Front I didn't think it was great. It was good, but not great. Then I tried it in a corncob, as several here have suggested. It was GREAT! They seem made for each other. Just sayin', whatever the hell that means.

Richard Burley":ejkt4vmw said:
When I first tried Storm Front I didn't think it was great. It was good, but not great. Then I tried it in a corncob, as several here have suggested. It was GREAT! They seem made for each other. Just sayin', whatever the hell that means.
My corn cobs should be here tomorrow. ;)

Feel free to peruse, posting a link for continuity...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t15272-i-just-tried-john-patton-s-stormfront

Kyle Weiss":mcs22afv said:
Feel free to peruse, posting a link for continuity...

https://www.brothersofbriar.com/t15272-i-just-tried-john-patton-s-stormfront
Now see, that's my problem right there. I searched for "Storm Front". Your title contained "Stormfront". The search isn't smart enough to account for the missing space. Much obliged!

Good point, I corrected the title so now it should pop up in searches. 8)

I think I know what I'm going to have a bowl of this morninggggg.... *rushes off to grab a cob*

Kyle Weiss":4329uf6n said:
Good point, I corrected the title so now it should pop up in searches. 8)
It does. Thanks again!

Kyle Weiss":4329uf6n said:
I think I know what I'm going to have a bowl of this morninggggg.... *rushes off to grab a cob*
Bah! Darn it I want my cobs!

Good post! This past Friday I dubbed a Storm Front Friday and only smoked it for every bowl that day. 2 briars and a cob's worth...what draws me in is that it is a no muss-no fuss toby, and although it's most at home in a cob(as per Mr. Patton's design) I've had it in all 3 if the major mediums and it does me right regardless. Add to that the fact that it IS an all day smoke and I couldn't be happier!

Enjoy your cobs as well...

I tried Storm Front after cakeanddottle raved about it and it is now in my "go-to" line up, along with Carter Hall. I have acquired a few new pipes and am using SF to build cake. So getting to enjoy quite a bit of this nice easy burning blend.

I really did not like Storm Front when I first tried it. When fresh, I found it to have an overwhelming synthetic taste. Given a few months to to air out and age, it improved quite a bit. The individual tobaccos do not seem to be of top quality, but when smoked in a pipe with which it agrees, it's overall effect is greater than the sum of it's parts. For that I tip my hat to it's blender. It has really grown on me and when I want an easy going, uncomplicated smoke, it is great. I did not enjoy it as much in a cob as I do a tall, medium gauge briar.

Richard Burley":dne2ehhj said:
+1 to this. Very delightful in a corn cob. Mine came in today with my lighter, and I just had to break them both in together with a little Storm Front. I got the small ones (great for sneaking in a quick smoke) and it didn't disappoint. I may just make corn cobs my regular smoke and save the briars for when I have time for a longer smoke.

I probably smoke more Storm Front than any other single tobacco I have. I mostly smoke it on the go because its so convenient...when I'm sitting down at home I usually go with a more labor intensive tobacco.

I just keep a decent amount in a plastic bag that I take with me when I leave the house along with a couple of cobs. Open the bag, dip the cob in, scoop some up, pack it a little, smoke. The cut allows you to do this.

Oh yeah...it tastes great too...and its cheap.