John Patton's Storm Front

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
I've read through most of the reviews on TR and this seems to be one outstanding burley blend.

I've smoked a bit of burley but could never really say I liked it. Now I want to broaden my menu a bit and add something to the VA's and VaPers I smoke every day. I do smoke latakia blends maybe once or twice a week. I'm looking for some burley to add to the menu. I do not smoke any aromatic blends.

I've ordered 4oz of Old Joe Krantz for which I'm still waiting. I would like to prepare my next order in the meantime.

I would appreciate any comments from the brothers re Storm Front.

Storm Front is an absolute must have for me. Marvelous stuff!

Do a search on Storm Front here and get a hundred comments. It's been reviewed quite a bit and the views range from "shock and awe I love it" to "mewh"... like everything else.

My read - a guy looking to break into Burley blends - (I never liked Old Joe much...I want richer & darker) I don't see how Storm Front could treat you wrong. If I was to pick 3 or 4 to try...

1. Storm Front - all of the pluses, none of the minuses
2. Uhle's Perfection Plug or Crushed White - a super quality blend cut into Grape Nut sized kibble, fabulous smooth flavor & manners
3. You need a flake...try Solani Aged Burley Flake or Wessex Burley Slices or if you want a bit of Perique in it maybe C&D Exhausted Rooster.

Have fun!

Curious...Pete, is your location in Cape Town...like on the S. coast of Africa?

If so...do you have a different source for cobs than Missouri Meerschaum? Just wondering if they have a world wide lock.

That might just be worth it's own thread...over in the pipe section.

Blackhorse":3n2krsdr said:
Curious...Pete, is your location in Cape Town...like on the S. coast of Africa?

If so...do you have a different source for cobs than Missouri Meerschaum? Just wondering if they have a world wide lock.

That might just be worth it's own thread...over in the pipe section.
You're right, I live at the most southernly point of Africa.

Many years ago I bought some locally made cobs but they only lasted about 2 weeks! They were made from ordinary corn cobs and was useless.  
I can buy MM cobs locally from our B&M but he only stock Legends.  I've ordered directly from MM without a problem.

I enjoyed smoking only one burley mixture prior to experiencing Storm Front. Most burley forward blends are a bad match for my body chemistry and even at a snail's pace I end up with a sizzled tongue when I smoke them.

Storm Front burns wonderfully and has no bite. It's hearty and flavorful. It comes fairly dry, so it's also a great value.

I have 3 burlies in my regular rotation Solani ABF, SF and ODF.

DrumsAndBeer":jy2jrpaa said:
I enjoyed smoking only one burley mixture prior to experiencing Storm Front. Most burley forward blends are a bad match for my body chemistry and even at a snail's pace I end up with a sizzled tongue when I smoke them.

Storm Front burns wonderfully and has no bite. It's hearty and flavorful. It comes fairly dry, so it's also a great value.

I have 3 burlies in my regular rotation Solani ABF, SF and ODF.
This.

Cheers,

RR

Storm Front is one of my all time favorites. When I first discovered it with the help of some fellas of BOB I thought I found a the holy grail of pipe tobacco. I still find that good ol' sweet rapture with it frequently. My favorite pipe for it also happens to be the crappiest pipe I own, made by Wellington, that you could ever lay you're eyes on.  Boy, does it have some miles on it. Pack a bowl of Storm Front in it and it sing "Gloria".  

There is something about Patton's blends that are so simple. Pure joy. You know he isn't getting rich off his blends, but he could if he were so inclined. That's what make me like them even more.

I can't get past the name. I spent years on a political forum with a particularly nasty Ukrainian fascist who was forever linking to the website of the same name. Makes me shudder to think about it.

Stormfront is an awesome all day smoke...the nuttiness of a light white burley combined with the sweet meatiness of the Connecticut Maduro. It is hands down my favorite burley blend.

Since you mentioned OJK however, I will say that the two have very little in common. OJK is very strong, assumedly it has a fair amount of dark fired in there. The latakia is also absent in SF.

Their flavor and strength profiles are simply night and day.