Johs

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarFox

Reaction score
Smokingpipes had a Johs bent Brandy on sale for $63 and change. The photo date on their website was 2011 and I was a little concerned of why such a nice looking pipe (in the photo) had not sold in a couple years. The specs were 1.40 oz and 4.90 long with the brandy bowl being just over 2 inches with a nice saddle bit. I liked the looks and size (though I prefer pipes over 5 inches) and decided to purchase it. The pipe with some tobacco was delivered yesterday and I was pleasantly surprised. I am sure glad that smokingpipes did not take a photo of the right side. It has some very nice tight, straight grain. The finish is amazing with no fills and no imperfections of any kind, perfectly drilled. I measured the length and they must have made a mistake as it is 5 1/8 inches long (more to my liking). I had my first smoke (Deep Hollow) earlier today (to celebrate the Huskers victory over Penn State), very good smoker especially for the first time.

Anyway I am very pleased on getting such a nice, handmade pipe for such a reasonable price. I like my handmade pipes, so much character.

Would love to see a photo or two of it. I'm glad your happy with your pipe purchase from them. I'm in the middle of one right now and am hoping when I get it that it at least looks as good as the photos. I don't understand why they'll take 3 or more photos of one pipe but, only take 2 of another. I think it may at times put the wrong idea in some buyers heads as it's done me from time to time.

Here is a link from smokingpipes website with the pipe I purchased. I have now purchased several pipes from smokingpipes without a hitch. The pipe you buy is the one in the photo. I do wish they would take photos of both sides on all their pipes, but in this case I am glad they didn't. It was a nice surprise to see the grain on the non pictured side.

http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/johs/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=82434

That certainly is a good look'en pipe sir, I'll still cross my fingers that mine looks that good.
Trusting anything that I can't see and touch with my own eyes and hands is still a problem for me and I've bought 90% of my pipes online...........maybe that's why.

Every time I see a dog or rhody I like, it's a Johs. Always wondered if they're any good--fills, etc. As far as the engineering goes, my understanding is that the maker was once a plumber, which seems a pretty good qualification. ;)

johs110.jpg
" />

johs210.jpg
" />

johs310.jpg
" />

Richard Burley":rocvsneh said:
Every time I see a dog or rhody I like, it's a Johs. Always wondered if they're any good--fills, etc. As far as the engineering goes, my understanding is that the maker was once a plumber, which seems a pretty good qualification.   ;)
I use to be a plumber, for about 3 years but, I wouldn't buy my pipes because of it.
Johs makes some pretty inexpensive pipes and I've seen a few I wouldn't mind having but, never pulled the trigger, so I haven't really a clue if there good smokers or not.

Dunno. He looks like a pipe guy. (Sorry those pics were of straights, Ron. I know how that offends your esthetic sensibilities.)   :joker:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0yvw4HtYs8M" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen ></iframe>

My recently received P&T magazine contains an excellent article on Brother Johs replete with great color pics and storyline. If you don't subscribe to P&T, you might consider it :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":ordcrw9s said:
My recently received P&T magazine contains an excellent article on Brother Johs replete with great color pics and storyline. If you don't subscribe to P&T, you might consider it :cheers: FTRPLT
Charter subscriber here. Thanks. I'll look for it.

I recently picked up a Johs Danish Rhodesian from Pipestud, but I haven't made it home to check it out yet. I'll try to remember to report back once I have smoked a few bowls out of it.

See! That's what I'm talkin' about. I like that one a lot, Dutch. You have excellent tastes--because it coincides with my own. ;)

Richard, actually the shape is the reason I purchased this pipe. I didn't research the maker until after I won the auction. ;)

Lovely pipe, great shape and excellent grain. Congrats! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

One of my favorite shapes. Great grab. :)

AJ

I own 5 Winslow pipes.  They have a strange appeal, that's for certain. A couple of the Dublins are somewhat large, not quite comfortable to keep clenched in the teeth.  They're great smokers, for sure, but are more "hand" pipes, great for sitting down and contemplating while you idly smoke, moving your hand around the sensuous curves and angles. They do have a special place in my heart (and eye).

That looks like a great Virginia pipe. From what I've read about Johs, he's an amazingly productive carver who turns out quality pipes at friendly prices. Looks like you got a good one.