JR's

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Hates pipe smokers." That sums up JR's attitude. I guess you're talking about Lew Rothman? It makes sense given the way their "pipe smoking" operation has been run. If it was him I'm surprised he'd allow that sentiment in print.

I've been in JR Burlington twice in the last month, and I must say conditions have improved for pipe smokers:

Tobacco: probably the entire lineup of C&D tinned blends; many Rattrays tins; many many MB tins; 3 or 4 Dunhill tins; many of the McClelland 100g Craftsbury, Mature VA, Oriental and Personal Reserve tins.

Pipes: two large glass cases of pipes.

The bad news is that their prices are now in line with smokingpipes prices, not the jaw-dropping prices of yore.

I got a tin of Bow-Legged Bear at a good price, so I was happy.

Yeah prices are up. NC is no longer the tobacco state. They tax the hell out of tobacco now, but not as bad as NY.

Next time you pass through Fuquay stop at Bellini's in the Harris Teeter shopping center. Everything is made to order and home made. Best Italian restaurant I have been too. Surprised they didn't open it in Raleigh or Cary. Glad they are here!

GeoffC":kglf8k71 said:
Yeah prices are up. NC is no longer the tobacco state. They tax the hell out of tobacco now, but not as bad as NY.

Next time you pass through Fuquay stop at Bellini's in the Harris Teeter shopping center. Everything is made to order and home made. Best Italian restaurant I have been too. Surprised they didn't open it in Raleigh or Cary. Glad they are here!
Thanks for the tip - I love Italian.

alfredo_buscatti":rnruqsar said:
I've been in JR Burlington twice in the last month, and I must say conditions have improved for pipe smokers:

Tobacco: probably the entire lineup of C&D tinned blends; many Rattrays tins; many many MB tins; 3 or 4 Dunhill tins; many of the McClelland 100g Craftsbury, Mature VA, Oriental and Personal Reserve tins.

Pipes: two large glass cases of pipes.
Sounds like they have a bit more than their Statesville store (where I stopped in last week). Nice, but clearly an afterthought. Of course, compared to what goes for a tobacco store here, it was nearly heaven

I've been in a number of JR's in MI and NJ, and the Northern NJ store in Whiippany is my favorite. The last several years, the NNJ club has celebrated IPSD on 20Feb and I've driven up there from Philly for the fun. They do have a wide selection of the tins mentioned above. They also sell a nice selection of wine and liquors in addition to having a thriving bar.

hp
les

The continued references to JR stores in NJ, MI, and elsewhere (as opposed to the 3 NC stores) has confused me as the websites look similar, but the stores did not. In addition each of the websites did not mention other stores outside of their area. Of course, I admint I'm probably the only one that cares for some unfathomable anal reason, but I think I've finally figured it out.

Each operates under a different corporate entity, but all the individual corporations are subsidiaries of 800-JR Cigar, Inc. It appears that Lew Rothman is still the CEO of 800-JR Cigar, Inc. However, in 2003 Altadis bought a 51% controlling interest in 800-JR Cigar, Inc., and then in 2008 Imperial Tobacco bought Altadis. So the local, NASCAR loving, southern themed NC stores are now in actuality - British. I just love globalization!