Just a little update...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PozzSka

Reaction score
I typically smoke in my car, or in my garage/workshop/espresso bar/coffee roastery...

Over the past week, in my free time, I've built a new workbench/table, and a handmade pipe rack/case was delivered to my house. So here is my humble "smoking area"

So, I set it all up, and took a few pics...

Me sitting by the new workbench...(another is already being planned to move some of the stuff that's on it)...

Left end (and coffee roster)...

Right end (with pipe rack)...

Before the rack...

The Rack...

I LIKE the "toolbox" pipe cabinet !!! Did you make that ? NEAT,NEAT idea !!:p :p 

monbla256":cunmx4li said:
I LIKE the "toolbox" pipe cabinet !!! Did you make that ? NEAT,NEAT idea !!:p :p 
No, it was my idea, however. Check out four-giants.tumblr.com for the guy who did.

I do now want to try and see if I can create anything similar though. I'm going to practice with some pallets from work. And buy nicer wood after a couple tries.

GeoffC":0npo85jo said:
Nice!  What do like to roast up?  You SO in that espresso machine or your own blend?
I roast whatever my customers order. And I drink the leftovers...rarely do I get to pick what I drink. Haha!

I have some favorites for espresso, SO Brazil's are great, and my favorite blend is a brazil/Yirgacheffe blend, at CityPlus/almost full city roast.

Great looking spot! I enjoy the coffee equipment, I imagine roasting coffee has to be a lot of fn.

Fatman":k87rilig said:
Great looking spot! I enjoy the coffee equipment, I imagine roasting coffee has to be a lot of fn.
I enjoy it greatly! As a matter of fact, I am going to a flea market/vintage/craft/local business market tomorrow and there should be about 5000 people who come through. I expect to make 250+ cups of coffee and sell 20 - 12oz bags of beans. It's gonna be a long day!

Great set up, Nathan. Thanks for sharing.

And that rack is really sweet!

I use to own a coffee shop and had my own espresso blend. What worked well was

50% Brazil
30% Indonesian (Sumatra or Sulawesi)
20% Accent

Accent was what ever I could get in season. Sometimes Yirgacheffe or Yemen. If I could get it my favorite accent was Red Mountain from Papua New Guinea. I also experimented with some Central American coffees as the accent.Fun times.

Nice setup you got going there!

GeoffC":zj3w9fr1 said:
I use to own a coffee shop and had my own espresso blend.   What worked well was

50% Brazil
30% Indonesian (Sumatra or Sulawesi)
20% Accent

Accent was what ever I could get in season.   Sometimes Yirgacheffe or Yemen.  If I could get it my favorite accent was Red Mountain from Papua New Guinea.   I also experimented with some Central American coffees as the accent.Fun times.  

Nice setup you got going there!
Thanks!

I have had a couple PNG coffees that are awesome SO espresso. I'm not a huge fan of Sumatrans in espresso, and I know that is a standard, so to speak. But I much prefer the brightness of a braz/Guat or braz/Yirg.

That "tool box" style pipe rack is a great idea and fits in perfectly on a work bench! Nicely crafted as well. I might have to steal that idea at some point in time :D 

Coffee in your workspace, that is just awesome, nice set up Buddy, kinda makes my shed look quite sad, ha-ha. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

Nice Simonelli.

That li'l 1-banger roaster is pretty nifty too, fire-engine red, chrome and all. Where are you venting the exhaust? :lol: Hopefully not directly in that workspace.

Also, where's the chaffe collector?

I'm used to working on different machines, but I know they vary widely. That one's a looker.

Kyle Weiss":5g22in9f said:
Nice Simonelli.  

That li'l 1-banger roaster is pretty nifty too, fire-engine red, chrome and all.   Where are you venting the exhaust?  :lol:  Hopefully not directly in that workspace.  

Also, where's the chaffe collector?

I'm used to working on different machines, but I know they vary widely.   That one's a looker.    
Since its only a 2kg machine it doesn't really "need" a chaff collector. But I have one on "hold" from the manufacturer if I ever need it.

It vents outside you just can't see it in the photo.

PozzSka":08plnjk0 said:
Since its only a 2kg machine it doesn't really "need" a chaff collector. But I have one on "hold" from the manufacturer if I ever need it.

It vents outside you just can't see it in the photo.
Good. Unless you like huffing roast fumes. :pale:

The "San Franciscan" roasters ( http://www.coffeeper.com/ ) I used to use all had chaff collectors on all capacities...and I'm glad they did. Fellas down the road used a 1-banger and didn't have one, and there was a hint of burnt something-er-other in their coffee. They called it "wood-fired" even though they used propane...I guess it had that kind of a notion about it, but...it was a bit much for my palate. Sells well, though, so what do I know? :lol:

Anyway, yeah. Have fun with that li'l machine. I know they heat up fast and need a close eye on 'em, but worth the effort!

8)

alfredo_buscatti":dats0cru said:
There's nothing quite so startling and intensely aromatic as beans being roasted. Good!
That's a yes/no thing.  The right air/roast-stink mixture ends up smelling like a light smoke, and not nearly like the freshly-roasted beans.   A whiff of it a couple blocks away, though, and it smells quite nice.  Right next to it, not so much.   The real treat is when the beans have "gassed out" about 24-48 hours later and openin' the resting container and stickin' yer nose inside.  Now THAT is heaven.  :heart: 

Do enough of the whole process, especially grinding, and when you blow your nose, you have constant brown gunk inside.   :lol:  Now there's a pretty sight.

8)

Two of my most favourite things in the world together: coffee and pipes! Very cool!