just bought my first 'REAL' pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PiperCub

Reaction score
ive just ordered a meerschaum lined Hilson straight billiard from ebay to go with my aerosphere

Your other "imaginary" pipes are obviously scared witless at this news...
Congratulations!

just wondering if there were anys pecial care instructions bein' that its meerschaum lined?

Harlock999":pvvxwrv7 said:
Your other "imaginary" pipes are obviously scared witless at this news...
Congratulations!
That is funny

Congrats on the meer!

Being meerschaum lined, you don't have to worry about getting fingerprints on it.

Some people allow a cake to form inside the bowl of a meer (or meer lined), and a lot don't. A meerschaum doesn't need a cake to protect the walls of the bowl, unlike a Briar.

If it were mine, I'd opt against the cake building. Not only is it not needed with the meerschaum lining, it also allows more pronounced ghosting to occur if you drastically switch tobacco types (English to Aromatic, etc.)...

A simple practice of wiping out the inside of the meer bowl with a paper towel after each smoke is usually sufficient to prevent a cake from building up. If you do ever ream the bowl, only do a bare minimum of reaming - and no chemicals inside the bowl.

PiperCub":zlvp9wrr said:
just wondering if there were anys pecial care instructions bein' that its meerschaum lined?
Oh boy...
There's no bigger can of worms to open around here than meer care, (unless it has to do with olive oil...).
That said, the prevailing "wisdom" seems to be that you should not let any cake build in the chamber, rather, wipe out the chamber with a cloth after use.
Or, let them eat cake... 8)

Damn, Rob beat me to the punch...

Rob_In_MO":65rjzgix said:
Harlock999":65rjzgix said:
Damn, Rob beat me to the punch...
Sorry, Harlock. Just finishing up before turning in for the evening.

I can edit my above-post if you'd like, then you can give it a go.
No, it's too late now, Rob.
You've ruined it. :(

Harlock999":findsc5f said:
No, it's too late now, Rob.
You've ruined it. :(
Very sorry, Brother!

Please accept the following video as my apology.

8)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-KMpZaEF6g0" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Congrats PiperCub! I have one or two meerschaum lined briars myself, and I love them! Looking forward to seeing some pics brother! 8)