just discovered PA

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ragged claws

Reaction score
Wanting to try some burley, I bought a small bag of Prince Albert yesterday. I know that it's a little late in my life to "discover" a tobacco that's been around all of my life (and probably most of my father's life as well), but yesterday was my first experience with this stuff. I was pleasantly surprised at how nice this tobacco smokes. I was expecting something harsh that tasted like the cigarettes that I've recently given up, but was pleased by the lack of bite, coolness of smoke, and a nice taste. PA also burns nicely and stays lit better than any other tobacco in my meager collection. There must be a bit more nicotene in PA since I can feel the effects sooner than with my other tobaccos. This quality seems to make this an especially good tobacco to smoke with my morning coffee.

Just thought I'd share this newb's experience with PA.

Kim

Sure is good stuff, isn't it? Took me more than a year before I finally broke down and tried it myself. Now I buy it by the tub.

Give Carter Hall a try, too.

Actually I was looking for Carter Hall yesterday but the only OTC burley in my little town was PA. Next time I'm in the "big city" I'll pick up some CH.

Kim

I've always been a "Carter Hall" guy...a lot more depth of flavor in there, if you ask me, but Prince Albert isn't bad.

8)

Never had PA until a little while back when I got some in a trade. I sort of figured I wouldn't like it since it was an OTC drugstore brand. And I'm not all that big on burleys anyway.

Surprisingly it was quite nice, in a very mellow and inoffensive way. Not at all complex, but when one wants something that's just easy to puff without concentrating too much on the flavor this seems to fit the bill.

I sometimes have it as the first bowl of the day.

Cheers,

RR

That's pretty funny, gravel. PA is a nice place indeed. At least it was the last time I was there in 1972.

Kim

gravel":flpzo9fp said:
Yeah, Pennsylvania is a nice place.
As a resident held captive here against my will (by the wife, that is) I take issue with that statement.

Dave_In_Philly":6m6xvmxw said:
gravel":6m6xvmxw said:
As a resident held captive here against my will (by the wife, that is) I take issue with that statement.
Dave, the rest of the Commonwealth disowned Philadelphia long ago.

Unfortunately, we still have to pay for it.

Dave_In_Philly":pf2kgilh said:
gravel":pf2kgilh said:
I don't mean to sermonize, but when life gives you Amish, grow a beard and raise a barn.