Just for fun

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OH I'm sure all those Cadilac and Lexus SUV's can :twisted:  Why would one buy one if they couldn't do THAT :twisted: :twisted: 

My jeep can.....if I cut the hp, threw on narrower tires, lifted it a little, and was crazy enough to try it.... ok the last one I have covered lol.

Seriously though the narrow tires helped because it allowed the car to sink to hard ground, the low HP made it harder for the car to spin the tires thus making it less likely to get stuck, and the bottom of the car being so much higher than most modern cars allowed for more clearance to be able to do those things.

monbla256":ifywsk3a said:
OH I'm sure all those Cadilac and Lexus SUV's can :twisted:  Why would one buy one if they couldn't do THAT  :twisted: :twisted: 
Actually I seen an article where they took a lexus RX series offroad and it done really well!

Cuervo25_1":667l80rj said:
monbla256":667l80rj said:
OH I'm sure all those Cadilac and Lexus SUV's can :twisted:  Why would one buy one if they couldn't do THAT  :twisted: :twisted: 
Actually I seen an article where they took a lexus RX series offroad and it done really well!
Mabe, but I'd Take your Jeep or a Land Rover ( Defender model ) over the Lexus :twisted: 

I doubt very few cars and your so called ATV's, SUV's or what ever there calling them nowadays can. Although it has a lot to do with the driver. Most people have never driven in conditions like that and haven't a clue and, even some that have seem to be lacking the intelligence from time to time.

Probably not a road like that within a thousand miles of where I live. But it would be fun to go on a road like that in an old open top jeep. I'm sure it would need a winch just in case... :) 

AJ

Cartaphilus":j9dxomte said:
I doubt very few cars and your so called ATV's, SUV's or what ever there calling them nowadays can. Although it has a lot to do with the driver. Most people have never driven in conditions like that and haven't a clue and, even some that have seem to be lacking the intelligence from time to time.  
I worked contruction sites like that where we was blasting granite and digging in to set 20" sewer pipe. Let me tell you I will take that stuff over Va Clay anyday! Then Again I use to play in that stuff every saturday and spend all day sunday cleaning the truck lol.

Like you said though it came with experiance, the driver, the truck and the sense to have recovery equipment and several friends and their trucks with me. I may be crazy but sure aint stupid! lol

Cuervo25_1":vy7azlax said:
Cartaphilus":vy7azlax said:
I worked contruction sites like that where we was blasting granite and digging in to set 20" sewer pipe. Let me tell you I will take that stuff over Va Clay anyday! Then Again I use to play in that stuff every saturday and spend all day sunday cleaning the truck lol.

Like you said though it came with experiance, the driver, the truck and the sense to have recovery equipment and several friends and their trucks with me. I may be crazy but sure aint stupid! lol
Can't be any worse then Texas red clay. Stuff would suck knee high boots off. We had to keep our foot on the accelerator or it would just suck the dadburn truck in right up the floorboard. I remember one time getting the company truck stuck in it on a job site and having to wait till it started drying up to get it out. Yeah! The good ole days.

Cuervo25_1":3rpyql08 said:
My jeep can.....if I cut the hp, threw on narrower tires, lifted it a little, and was crazy enough to try it.... ok the last one I have covered lol.

Seriously though the narrow tires helped because it allowed the car to sink to hard ground, the low HP made it harder for the car to spin the tires thus making it less likely to get stuck, and the bottom of the car being so much higher than most modern cars allowed for more clearance to be able to do those things.
I'm thinking this is the best assessment. That, and the gearing is probably much lower than modern cars. Plus, the drivers of that day and age were probably more used to less than perfect conditions!

Cheers,

RR