Just killed a bat in my house!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Still shaking!

This AM while having my morning coffee something flew by my head and noticed a sense of wind! Thought it was a big moth or dragonfly, but didn't think anything more of it. The cats tried to chase it, but again thought it was a big bug or something.

A bit earlier tonight I heard one of the cats making noise upstairs, jumping around. Thought they were just playing as they often do.

So just a few minutes ago there it was again, only it wasn't a moth! It dive bombed me several times flying around the living room and kitchen. While it moved very fast there was no doubt at this point what it was!

I said "game on MF" and got out a broom. I chased it around and it flew up into my upstairs bedroom and closed the door. SOB flew around the room several times and got in a couple whacks, finally knocking it to the floor. Crushed it and used a dustpan to throw it outside....DEAD!

While bats eat insects and such they also can carry rabies, so I wasn't going to handle it. It was a small one, about 2" long without the wings. Hated to kill it but there wasn't any other way.

Now how in the freaking hell did a bat get in my house???

:suspect:

Cheers,

RR

I got one with a tennis racket once. Same thing, it got inside and was all over the place. It was kinda like badminton, lol! They scare the s**t out of ya because they're so erratic.

they can crawl through a hole the size of a dime. We used to get them all the time, old house and all. I found their favorite entry points, and we only get about one a year in the house now.

Still, it's always late at night, sitting in a dark room watching something on tv in your boxers, half zonked out, when WHOOSH! and the women let fly blood curdling screams. It's disconcerting all right. I keep a raquetball racquet handy for the unwanted night visitors, and my oldest boy has killed a couple with a toy light saber.

MisterE":u66g71mk said:
I got one with a tennis racket once. Same thing, it got inside and was all over the place. It was kinda like badminton, lol! They scare the s**t out of ya because they're so erratic.
Or batminton???
:lol!:

s.ireland":3yj42iqo said:
MisterE":3yj42iqo said:
Or batminton???
:lol!:
AAAAWWW! Perfect!! I'm sorry that didn't occur to me when I wrote this, LOL!!

I would recommend checking your attic closely to see if you have any hanging around. The guano can cause serious problems with your ceiling if not caught early.

I live in a small rural town which had a bat problem a few years ago and a lot of cans of foam were sold to people sealing up every little hole in their basements and attics.

We found a bat in our bedroom in the middle of the night. We chased it out the window and went back to sleep. The next morning I called animal control and got the following advice. If you find a bat (1) in your bedroom while you are a sleep, (2) in the room of a small child, or (3) in the room of an elderly person then you should get a rabies shot because bats have sharp teeth and you can not see their bite. I decided to get the rabies shots and found there was good news and bad news. The good news is that the shots were given in my arm and they didn't hurt. The bad new is that you have to find someone who has the shots and convince your insurance company to pay. As a follow up, my wife didn't get the shots and neither one of us got rabies.
Animal control also advised having the bat tested for rabies.

We had one when I was living in NY. Couldn't actually bring ourselves to kill the poor thing so we just a pool skimmer to scoop it up and return it to the outside from which it came. Our came right in an open patio door. Would definitely have won $10k on America's Funniest Home Videos if someone had video tapped us chasing the stupid thing around the house.

Don't have an attic. It must've either flown in when I had the front door open and didn't notice, or as someone suggested might've squeezed in through a small opening somewhere.

I have no problem with bats when they're outside but when they enter my house I regard them as vermin to be destroyed.

If I owned a fishnet or something I'd have used that to snare and release it, since I once did that many years ago in a holiday lake cottage.

I was once convinced that a bat had flown in the house through and open screen door. I was outside having a cig and a beer, and I saw it out of the corner of my eye. It made a few passes in the dining room, then disappeared. I grabbed a broom, (apparently the preferred weapon against bat intrusions), put on some heavy clothing (why, I don't know), and proceeded to stalk the bat. With a flashlight and my broom, I scoured the place.
No bat.
Shortly afterward, I decided I needed to stop drinking. And smoking cigarettes.

I found a bat in our bathroom... he circled my head while I was using the necessary. Talk about feeling trapped! Poor thing was terrified, and rightly so. Our cats have killed bats before.

The bat eventually hid out in our shower, clinging to a bottle of conditioner. I gloved up and got him inside a bedsheet, then brought him outside where he belonged.

I guess you could say that conditioner... really prevented flyaway. :roll:

And all bat stories can be summed up with this scene:

http://www.anyclip.com/movies/the-great-outdoors/the-bat/

**ALERT ALERT........ZOMBIE THREAD**

Ended last night on a down note - found another bat in my house!

Literally when I was laying down to go to sleep, I noticed a brown bat hanging upside down just over my bed on a cross beam. Hadn't seen it flying around the house, so don't know how it got in. I rather suspect it might have entered when I went outside briefly and left the front door open a crack, but who knows!

In any event, I didn't have the means to catch and release it like with a fishing net or something. Hated to kill it but couldn't have a bat in the house, so went downstairs to get a broom (after closing the bedroom and closet door). Used the broom to crush it up against the beam, and squished it around for about a minute.

Took the broom off and it sort of fluttered right square into the small garbage pail I keep next to my chest of drawers.  Didn't know if it was alive or dead, but took it right downstairs and threw it out next to the garage.

Came home today and it wasn't where I left it, so not sure if it flew away after being stunned from the broom or if some animal came and gobbled it up.

Bats can carry rabies and fleas, so no love for them. Yes they eat insects, but they can damn well stay out of my house!!

nonono2.gif

No I don't think I have a nest here. It's been almost 2 years since this initial post.

No Cheers,

RR

It's a real shame you had to kill it. As mean and gruff as I may be a lot of the time I hate killing anything that I don't intend to eat or it isn't intending to eat me.
I understand the rabbi threat and the disease the fleas can spread but, I can't help feeling sorry for the poor thing. We have them here among other little critters of all kinds, thankfully the only thing that comes in the house unwanted is the wife and an occasional wasp.
Once stepped on a frog here outside the back door one evening and I felt so bad. He was lying on his back and I picked the little fellow up and dug him a hole. The minute I went to cover him up he jumped up. Playing possum on me where ya I said. So I picked him up and placed him out of the way of feet and gave him a good scolding.

Yeah I know, I just gave all my creditability up as a rough tough Texan.
It's just animals I feel that way about, people I could care less about. LOL!

'The car suddenly veered off the road and we came to a sliding halt in the gravel. I was hurled against the dashboard. My attorney was slumped over the wheel. “What’s wrong?” I yelled. “We can’t stop here. This is bat country!"'

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Hunter S. Thompson

Cartaphilus":mhgw8aqk said:
It's a real shame you had to kill it. As mean and gruff as I may be a lot of the time I hate killing anything that I don't intend to eat or it isn't intending to eat me.
I understand the rabbi threat and the disease the fleas can spread but, I can't help feeling sorry for the poor thing. We have them here among other little critters of all kinds, thankfully the only thing that comes in the house unwanted is the wife and an occasional wasp.
Once stepped on a frog here outside the back door one evening and I felt so bad. He was lying on his back and I picked the little fellow up and dug him a hole. The minute I went to cover him up he jumped up. Playing possum on me where ya I said. So I picked him up and placed him out of the way of feet and gave him a good scolding.

Yeah I know, I just gave all my creditability up as a rough tough Texan.
It's just animals I feel that way about, people I could care less about. LOL!
Actually in retrospect don't think I killed it, although that was my intent. Probably only stunned it and it recovered once outside. Best of all outcomes.

Cheers,

RR

Hey, no sense in trying to sugar coat it now man. That poor little guy is dead as far as I'm concerned unless you got a medical report that says otherwise. LOL!

The very idea of killing a small mammal is repulsive to me truth be known but if a Bat came into our home I would kill it without a second thought. I will not tolerate any kind of threat around our daughters, yup, Rabies is treatable these days but I will not allow my daughters to suffer anything they do not have to. As the Black Plague is still very much alive and well in the World (as I have been trying to tell people for years and only got laughed at) there is the worry of them contracting the plague from small mammals, the very idea terrifies me and well it should. As the animal is not being eaten it could be seen as wrong to kill the bat, but I am with you on this one Brewdude, a risk one should not entertain.

Kirk Fitzgerald":l6e0uxrk said:
The very idea of killing a small mammal is repulsive to me truth be known but if a Bat came into our home I would kill it without a second thought. I will not tolerate any kind of threat around our daughters, yup, Rabies is treatable these days but I will not allow my daughters to suffer anything they do not have to. As the Black Plague is still very much alive and well in the World (as I have been trying to tell people for years and only got laughed at) there is the worry of them contracting the plague from small mammals, the very idea terrifies me and well it should. As the animal is not being eaten it could be seen as wrong to kill the bat, but I am with you on this one Brewdude, a risk one should not entertain.

So just eat the damn bat.
Prolly good fried. :lol: 

Well, I doubt the health issue odds favor cold blooded murder. I can understand your discomfort. Local animal control will remove them .

People actually put up bat units to house them for their benefits.

You might want to check the fascia for holes. It is possible their "bat cave" is your attic. Now that wouldn't be good. Bat shit is better aged and in the yard.