Just orderd a Zippo Pipe Lighter

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a butane insert in my Zippo pipe lighter and I love it. Many, many lights between refills.

I like the IDEA of a Zippo, but haven't had much luck with them over the years. Wooden matches work best for me. Or a Bic from the gas station when i'm out & about.

I sent an ancient Zippo with a sprung spring to the factory with a note asking if the works might be replaced with a pipe insert. I got it back in two -- 2!!! -- weeks. The pipe insert is very easy to use and I see no problem with rim charring. A new Zippo costs about one quarter of the cost of a new butane lighter, and the Zippo's dependability is backed up with a heckuva guarantee. I've been alert for the taste of lighter fluid, but haven't gotten so much as a subtle hint. Hard to beat.

I got my Zippo through the Marlboro Adventure Team thing years back, when you sent in the UPCs off the packs to get free stuff. I have lost it on the Deschutes river over a winter and spring, and then found it at a tough to get spot I like to ambush steelhead. Opened the guts onto a stump and a few hours later fueled it with white gas from my lantern. Worked the first spark. It's been driven over, dropped several times, laundered, etc. Never a hiccup. As far as refueling often, regardless of usage, I fill it after my last smoke of the day, stand it up, say good night. Works all day without fumes creeping into my bowls. I can generally get three days of use out of a 'top off'. The idea of a seal between inner and outer sleeves using petroleum jelly sounds great. I had been burned by fuel leaking out of the lighter onto my skin, and it bites. Still carry a spare lighter (Bic) for the off chance I lose the 'tank', or run out of fluid. But then, I always carry a spare tire, and have gone through two sets before the spare gets the nubs worn off.

Have looked at the pipe lighter top, might get one for giggles. Thought about the butane insert as well, just for a spare. My last Bic lost it's fuel sitting after 3-4 years just sitting around........

Zippos just keep on keepin' on. 

Love 'em, hate 'em, whatever. But that's what they do. And the CS is without equal.

Just sayin'.....

:tongue: 

Cheers,

RR