Just picked up a couple of new Chinese flashlights!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....
I don't want to offend anyone but make sure your homeowner's insurance is adequate. I may trust computer products from the country of origin, but smoking products? I don't know...

BH - I've got a couple of Sipik SK68's around the house that look exactly like the first one you linked to.  Sure it has a different name on it, but 100% the same light.  Mine didn't come with the 14500 & charger, but those are easy to come by.  Mine was about $7 from FastTech, and shipping only took a week.

The are metal and quite durable.  I've dropped mine numerous times and they just keeps working.  I don't know how many hours of use are on each of them, but they'll probably out-live me.

I typically use an Ni-MH AA in both of mine, but the 14500 is killer.  Of course - standard safety rules must be adhered to when using (and especially when charging) Lithium batteries.

Actually they look pretty cool and work well using this Extention Tube, which match the threads on the light.  Using 2-14500's would burn out the LED, but with 2-AA's it does great.  Not as bright as with a single 14500, but gives it an incredible amount of runtime (forgot how many hours, but it was crazy).

P.S. - for those curious, the 14500 is a 3.7v Lithium Rechargable battery the same size as the common AA.

Ari - "smoking products"???

Rob...I think safety lies in getting 'protected' batteries if they're LiIon….otherwise Ni-MH are safe. In general, the Chinese items, if shipped direct, are SO cheap that I just double the order and have a backup in case of failure. It's not worth returning them if faulty.

Another stellar find are Chinese fountain pens...Hero & JinHao being good brands.

Blackhorse":8gh9ovnl said:
Rob...I think safety lies in getting 'protected' batteries if they're LiIon….otherwise Ni-MH are safe.
 With any Lithium based battery, it never hurts.  I do have some 'Unprotected' cells & packs, but they're mostly Li-PO that I use with my RC Planes.  Slightly different chemistry and slightly different charging requirements, but just as volatile (and potentially dangerous if not charged properly).

Supposedly the Li-FE cells are the most forgiving and safest, but cell capacity is about half.

Blackhorse":8gh9ovnl said:
Another stellar find are Chinese fountain pens...Hero & JinHao being good brands.
Haven't looked into those yet, but I'll check 'em out.  I like a good fountain pen, and if you recommend these then I'll give them a try.

Ive got some of those off ebay. Being a plumber a flash light is a most. They are small with a pocket clip, put out alot of light for a small flash light. they also make wonderful christmas gifts. Id like to ad they will stand on their end and are great for working inside of cabinets.

plumbernater":hm7qo3zv said:
Ive got some of those off ebay. Being a plumber a flash light is a most. They are small with a pocket clip, put out alot of light for a small flash light. they also make wonderful christmas gifts. Id like to ad they will stand on their end and are great for working inside of cabinets.
Amen, Brother!

And - if something happens to one of them, you're not out much.  :cheers: 

Blackhorse":5th28z8b said:
Ari - "smoking products"???

Sure. Infamous Chinese corn cob pipes, "real wood" pipes, all metal, wood-simulating pipes...no thanks.

Add electrons...er.....

China invented ketchup, scissors, gunpowder...I'm fine with those! Electric lighters, no so much.

Blackhorse":fuil4tcd said:
These are awesome for the price.  My JinHao from a few years ago cost me less than three bucks, ordered directly from Hong Kong. It's a decent fountain pen (I've owned a Mont Blanc 149, though I'm no expert, so take with a grain of salt or two) and apparently made of solid brass.  Amazing what slave labor can do, or whatever the hell is responsible for the mind-boggling low prices.

Anyway...saw this one...looks like it would get hot enough to boil water.

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Bright-Lumens-Flashlight-Torch/dp/B008YZV6K6/ref=pd_rhf_ee_p_d_7

Danger, Will Robinson!

I used to prowl a couple of flashlight sites and what some of these Saturday Physics Majors did with their super lights in terms of jacking them up was pretty crazy. Twice the brightness and one eighth the duration didn't work for me. I'd want three quarters the brightness and four times the duration. Especially when buying Li-Ion 123 batteries. Re-chargables change that a bit, but not much.

Blackhorse":6nzhzgng said:
Um...these are "flashlights"..."torches"? You know...illuminating things at a distance at night?
Got it now. Just like the couple nearly useless LED "torches" I already have. Nearly because beyond 12 inches they're ineffective. Only good for finding my pipe tool in the dark on porch table.

Got it now. Just like the couple nearly useless LED "torches" I already have. Nearly because beyond 12 inches they're ineffective. Only good for finding my pipe tool in the dark on porch table.
You must be buying the wrong LED flashlights because most of the ones I have are almost too bright. Like Blackhorse I'd prefer less lumens and more duration

Of course I may be biased since I work for Cree, and we make some of the best and brightest LEDs in the world. Oh and they are made mostly here in the USA, with only final packaging done in Asia.

Ari - STOP BUYING THE ONES AT THE GAS STATION - the brightness of these little beasts varies according to the batteries and the diode that the battery powers. The CREE XML T6 (LED) with the equivalent of two Li-Ion 123 batteries...

Which is this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GX2MA8O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...is so bright it qualifies as a tactical item. It will easily illuminate someone at night, at fifty yards, or further.

It's a matter of simple physics...high power drain = high output...in other words the bright light lasts a couple if hours. The good one have multiple modes...low/med/high...etc.

If using Chinese batteries the trick to a good light is to use one that takes only one battery since the Chinese batteries 'usually' differ in their amperage from spec. And running batteries rated at different mAmps either parallel or in series is a 'bad thing'. It's like 'crossing the streams' with a GhostBuster Particle Accelerator! lol

But depending on the juice, the circuitry and the specific LED...these puppies can be crazy bright!

From what I've found, the main killer of LEDs would be heat.

I actually took my SK68's apart and gave them a layer of thermal compound around the pill, it's aluminum disc shaped holder, and the body - to help dissipate heat more efficiently.  While probably not necessary, it sure doesn't hurt.  When running one of them on a 14500, the body gets noticably warmer than it did before I added the compound.  This means it still generates the same amount of heat (same battery voltage and current draw), but the heat is being dispersed more efficiently and I don't have to worry about it as much. Definitely helps the LED run cooler.

I have a foot-long Maglite that I've had my entire adult life. It's dented up to hell and most of the black paint is wearing off.  No LED, or anything, but it always works.  

:sunny: <------ Makes things look like this, too.

The following represents objective visual imagery presenting an analysis of the venerable maglite in relation to today's more recent technology of the CREE LED mini lites:

Maglite

2001-a-space-odyssey-ape.jpg

CREE mini lite

Star-Trek-game-Kirk-and-Spock-shuttlebay_690x391.jpg

Now that's some funny shit right there, BH!!!  :lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!:  :lol!: 

I admit it, I'm stuck in the last century technology wise...  :oops: 

Hey...I've got several maglites I wouldn't be without. My favorite is a 2 cell that uses "C" size batteries.

But when you can recharge your cells and have six times the light on n a similar sized unit...well, you get used to the POWAH!

My real favorites are Surefire, Streamlight & Fennix...but those are EXPENSIVE!